PDA

View Full Version : choke out of the carb

400ex men
09-08-2004, 10:48 AM
ok if tack the choke out of the carb will i have to re jet?

400exKy1e
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
when u do that u just put a 42 pilot jet in so u wont need the choke any more, 99% sure u dont need to rejet main jet .. i just did it last week its really easy and definitely worth it since its FREE!

400ex men
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
do i have to put a 42 pilot in i dont ues the choke

hondarider2006
09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Yes you have to go up. Friend of mine took his out and didn't go up on the pilot, he had to take his filter off and cover the hole with his hand and use it as a "choke" When I went down to see him I installed a 42 pilot and it was perfect:cool:

400ex men
09-09-2004, 11:58 AM
ok to day i took it out and it wood run ok but i didin like it so i am goin to put it back in

dariusld
09-09-2004, 01:32 PM
What didn't you like? The only thing I didn't like is when people snicker at me and say under their breath "He is the bozo that took off his choke".

400exKy1e
09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah what wouldnt u like about it? if it was hard to start just buy the 42 pilot its like 2 bucks

BSTURDIVANT
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Taking the choke out actually hurts bottom end and gains nothing on top!! Chohe plate acts similar to a power now insert straightening air! We tried both ways when we ran 400's

dariusld
09-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Taking the choke out actually hurts bottom end and gains nothing on top!! Chohe plate acts similar to a power now insert straightening air! We tried both ways when we ran 400's
:rolleyes:

cals400ex
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM

i heard this may be true. i have no evidence to back that up but i have read the same thing before.

hondarider2006
09-09-2004, 05:27 PM

If you lose power, than why do soooo many people do it?:huh

dariusld
09-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i heard this may be true. i have no evidence to back that up but i have read the same thing before.
That's the key here "evidence". I have no idea if it gained or loss horsepower. I just think it "might". I'm just going by common sense. :rolleyes: But I'm not going to tell you it does or it does not. I haven't heard one person say it doesn't and back it up with solid proof. The gain or loss from this mod is probably so minimal that it doesn't really matter.

400ex men
09-09-2004, 06:41 PM
it was not hard to start but it did in run that good

j4rdemotox
09-09-2004, 08:45 PM
I have a question regarding this issue.
Putting in a 42, will it make a little boggy. Does the choke baffle interrupter the air flow? Any problems adjusting the air fuel mix screw with a #42 jet?
I put in a 40 long time ago and hand no problems. I think the stock 38 is to lean. Is there any added performance besides cold starts?

Steve-o 400EX
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
Yes you have to go up. Friend of mine took his out and didn't go up on the pilot, he had to take his filter off and cover the hole with his hand and use it as a "choke" When I went down to see him I installed a 42 pilot and it was perfect:cool:

That b it. U really should put in a 42 anyways. Its a great mod for the couple dollars and 10 minutes it will take ya.;)

TC426EX
09-09-2004, 10:22 PM
I was running the choke out on the stocker before I got my FCR and it was way better. I was running a bigger pilot like most have mentioned on here, and it actually GAINED on the bottom and didnt lose, and had better overall power everywhere... Great mod, for no money at all and little time...

Steve-o 400EX
09-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Takin out the choke also makes it a he!!of a lot easier to start the thing too. I wish the came that way from the factory.:(

ewalker302
09-15-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
I was running the choke out on the stocker before I got my FCR and it was way better. I was running a bigger pilot like most have mentioned on here, and it actually GAINED on the bottom and didnt lose, and had better overall power everywhere... Great mod, for no money at all and little time...
You are kidding yourself. No way you are gonna have any noticable (doubtful if any) gains from taking the choke out.

Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Takin out the choke also makes it a he!!of a lot easier to start the thing too. I wish the came that way from the factory.:(
Taking the choke out makes it harder to start, not easier...

:bandit:

Steve-o 400EX
09-15-2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302
You are kidding yourself. No way you are gonna have any noticable (doubtful if any) gains from taking the choke out.

:huh Now, You are talking about something u have no idea about dude. I think i would know considering i dont have one, neither does anyone i ride with. I would put a million dollars on my quad startin easier, faster and smoother than urs, even on the coldest day. I have never had my quad turn over more than 3 times and not start. People need to stop throwing up crap they think they know about, i cant believe u even wrote that considering about 10 people said the same thing as I already. :rolleyes: :huh :confused:

shortex
09-15-2004, 07:56 AM
It is pretty simple:
take out restrictive choke= more flow= more power.
There is no need to over analyze it.:cool:

TC426EX
09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302

You gotta be kidding me man... I know that it made a difference in my power despite what you say and so does everyone else whose done it. You obviously dont know what YOURE talking about. When I did the mod I wasnt expecting it to do anything at all honestly but it sure did. And just so you know, the quad is MUCH easier to start without the choke even in the coldest weather. (believe me I live in OH). I have a FCR now so i dont even want to argue this point any further, but I will tell you that as far as the stock carb goes, removing the choke is the best thing you could do besides having it bored....

sandspanker
09-15-2004, 05:08 PM
:) Ok hears what I did. I had a 400, ported,hrc cam,yosh full system.stock gearing. Raced my buddys craptor,could get him through the gears,he could get me on the top end.All I did was put the 42 pilot jet in and take the choke out,raced again and he could not catch me,granted that the craptor was stock at the time,but taking the choke out made a big big difference.now I have a 416 with the stock carb still :( we put a yosh full system on the craptor in a strait line I can get him through the gears but when he gets rolling he smokes by me. The moral of the story YES removing the choke does work.