PDA

View Full Version : Must do upgrades?

EricB
04-08-2002, 06:52 PM
ok in about 5 months i'll have about 6000 dollars or so maybe lil more. but i plan to buy a brand new 400ex, cash =).

anyhow whats a must do for general preformance upgrades? im guessing prooly exhaust, maybe a sproket depending on what kind of riding you do, then jetting? also air filter, that sort of thing, basic preformance upgrades. i've been stewing over what quad to get for about 3 months now, it was between a raptor or an ex. pretty much hands down its the ex, the handling legendary reliblity, and its just a honda! only thing i dont like about the honda is the power plant, granted its a great engine that is well engineerd and designed, but its displacement isn't all that big. i meen a 400 4 stroke isn't to big, does anyone know if honda plans to come out with something to compete with the ds650 and the raptor? larger 4 engine? I'm pretty sure i understand honda's thinking though with this bike, its basicly got a great running 400 4 stroke engine on a typicly smaller setup than larger big bore quads. but are they going to come out with just some more flat out power?

from what i've read and heard they dont. so what am i looking at doing to get the max preformance out of my ex, when i get it =P

also i feel kinda dumb, im the kind of person that most mechanics and typicly computer people don't like. the kind of person that knows enough to get them selves in trouble hehe. so what exactly is jetting? is it not the jets that provide fuel for the carburator? when someone is refering to jetting, they are refering to resizing the jets, correct? also i've read a few places that certain jet diameters will not run well in all places. you setup your bike for trail, but you want to ride on the dunes (im in oregon btw), what kind would i want to do to the jets? this nesacarly isn't worded correctly because im not 100% sure as to what im talking about on the carb work, so let me know if im using terms wrong.

Thanks!

-Eric

sly400ex
04-08-2002, 08:32 PM
#1.... NERF BARS they will save your ankles and legs! Performance wise, if I had to do it over, I would modify the stock header, get a Pro Circuit T-4 slip on, K&N power kit, and buy a high compression piston and a more wild cam.

Break down.

Modify stock header ...free
T-4 slip $200-225
Jet kit w /filter $80
Piston kit $150
Cam $175
Nerf Bars $175
Total would be well under a $1000. You could still buy other things like handle bars and etc. The quad would definately haul ***** too! Plus, with this setup, it will still be Honda reliable! I'm pretty sure you can get a brand new 400ex for about 5K, spend 1k on upgrades and go kick some butt!!

04-08-2002, 08:46 PM
I have a pipe i can sell to you. Its aFMF megama II. Great Condition.

EricB
04-08-2002, 11:28 PM
see! thats what i wanted to hear! 1000 dollars and you could mod it to be a bad *** go fast hurt you real bad bike. actually i knew you could, i just didn't know how friendly the bike was to upgrades and what the cost would be like.