PDA

View Full Version : Does My Engine Sound Ok????

Wayne64SS
09-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Does this thing sound alright?? Click Here to downlaod movie (http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTQ3NTkyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D)

thanks in advance for your input guys!!!

ohguy79
09-08-2004, 09:52 AM
How many hours do u have on it?
It don't sound bad to me. Mine's a little chattery too.
Their simmilar to a 250r. The tranny chatters a little when their idling. Pull your clutch in and see if it gets better.

Wayne64SS
09-08-2004, 10:10 AM
SOUNDS THE SAME WITH THE CLUTCH IN ... IS IT JUST NATURALLY LOUDER THAN MY BUDDIES 400EX??..... KINDA SOUNDS LIKE A DEISEL WHEN YOU ARE CLOSE TO IT? I WOULD SAY THERE ARE 30 MAYBE 40 HOURS ON IT

ohguy79
09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
I would't worry about it unless it gets worse.
It's a completely different eng than a 400ex.
The 450's are the noisest 4 strokes I've ever heard.
It's just the nature of the beast.

Wayne64SS
09-08-2004, 10:18 AM
ok that sounds right to me i just wanted to make sure it was normal for these to be louder. they are pretty damn loud for 4 stroke!!!!! thanks for your input brother!

09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
yah..im still not used to mine after coming from the quiet 400ex.....especially high revs...the thing sounds like its aboutt o blow up when i try to top it out at top speed

Jersey450R
09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
my engine sounds the same exact way, little chattering and you can really hear the piston on the 450R. and yes, in the revs, it does sound like its gonna blow the roof!

Wayne64SS
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
what a relief! but deep down i knew since its a honda its prolly supposed to sound like that :blah:

sulnz450r
09-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Sounds just like mine, I think that is just the way they are. :cool:

jeepnrocks
09-08-2004, 02:46 PM
does it vigrate really bad. mine is in the shop right now for somethingvibrating like hell. i woulda looked at it better myself but i couldnt get the plastic off because the stripped the screws into the gas tank :grr:
when i hold the throttle at about half you can really feel and hear the vibration. now i know these are very high performance engines with alot of light weight materials but the 450r is said to be almost vibration free compared to something like the yfz. mine was didnt make the noise when i got it, it developed it. i'll let you know when they call me. if you can post a video of you holding the throttle constant at a few different positions i will be able to tell you if its the same

ZRider400
09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Sounds normal to me.......

my new 450r does the same type of noise

my old CRF450 bike was even louder than that:eek2:

jeepnrocks
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
i wish i could have posted a clip of mine. his isnt quite like mine but similar. when i first got the bike it was very chattery and noisy butthe sound is more like a buzzing like something came loose. the quad definitley developed the problem. and my vibration thru the handlebars is extremely bad. i dunno the honda guys at the shop noticed it right away and said they are going to tearthe whole thing down to figure it out ??
i'll let ya know what happens

chris450R
09-08-2004, 04:07 PM
yeah i have heard mine doing it also. but i heard it in my tranny so i stopped and checked the tranny fluid and i added some and it quietened it up some. but i don't think there is anything wrong that is just the way the motor is made. it is high performance!

REDARMYRACER
09-08-2004, 07:01 PM
that slight pingning noise, i would likr to say is normal...
miine does this also, I've heard it on all the other machines i've checked too....

Wayne64SS
09-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
does it vigrate really bad. mine is in the shop right now for somethingvibrating like hell. i woulda looked at it better myself but i couldnt get the plastic off because the stripped the screws into the gas tank :grr:
when i hold the throttle at about half you can really feel and hear the vibration. now i know these are very high performance engines with alot of light weight materials but the 450r is said to be almost vibration free compared to something like the yfz. mine was didnt make the noise when i got it, it developed it. i'll let you know when they call me. if you can post a video of you holding the throttle constant at a few different positions i will be able to tell you if its the same

sorry man mine doesnt vibrate it is very vibration free and smooth one of the reasons i bought a honda ! good luck gettin your straightened out though! I hope it works out for ya!

To everyone else thanks for all the responses I appretiate your feedback.

jeepnrocks
09-09-2004, 09:20 AM
well the dealership called and said they are replacing my gas tank that they stripped out the holes in and my fender that they cracked overtightening it into the tank.
they said they tightened down the motor mounts and that stopped some of the vibration but its mostly coming from the pipe. i dont know if that pipe even with the endcap isnt made to handle more exhaust or what. i too thoughtit was the pipe a little bit. the pipe has a lot of stuff bolted onto it between that heat shield and the other little shield in the back so im just going to get a sparks exhaust and be done with it :D:D:D