PDA

View Full Version : 450R to get electric start 2006

atcyalater
09-08-2004, 06:37 AM
I saw this info in the October 2004 issue of ATV Action and I thought I would post it for everbody. They tested the 2005 450R and as usual they thought is was a flawed ATV but they did say that the 450R will be getting an electric start and that it could be as soon as the 2006 model. Here is what they said;

"We do know that Honda is working on adding electric starting to the 450R. So, we may be seeing that as soon as 2006."

jmoney45
09-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Why do they wine about kick start? My 450 starts faster than my 400 ever did.

jeepnrocks
09-08-2004, 07:09 AM
batteryies, more wires, more weight..... more problems.
if they do add it i hope its an option and dont get rid of the kickstarter.

ohguy79
09-08-2004, 08:03 AM
If their not complaining about kick start it's about no reverse.
Which all add weight. I'd rather have only kick than only electric.
I really believe reverse is over rated. Just my opinion.

Flynbryan19
09-08-2004, 08:07 AM
They probably have no inside info about that what so ever......:rolleyes: Dirtwheels is all the time making up bs about that they heard this or heard that, then the act like its fact. I'll believe it when I see it...... Although I agree, I think the 450 is fine how it is.

ohguy79
09-08-2004, 08:23 AM
I heard the same rumor a week or two ago from some guys at a local track. They also claim the 450 will be fuel injected in 2006.
I'm sure they are just rumors.
But, the fuel injection wouldn't surprize me. Most of honda's motorcycles are EFI.

atvmx14
09-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
batteryies, more wires, more weight..... more problems.
if they do add it i hope its an option and dont get rid of the kickstarter.

Exactly more Problems i'm glad to have kick start only!!
It has its huge advantages!!

29FTEX
09-08-2004, 09:26 AM
I received a survey in the mail yesterday that was strictly about the 450R I bought. They asked all types of questions from handling, engine, looks, etc. They asked what you would like to see in the future, and what's important to you. So, maybe they will come up with something different based on all the owner's opinion.

400ex4ever
09-08-2004, 09:39 AM
I got the same survey yesterday. I think we should get a thread going on the pro and cons of the 450R and have everyone fill out the survey the same. Maybe that will make the changes come a little sooner.

09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 400ex4ever
I got the same survey yesterday. I think we should get a thread going on the pro and cons of the 450R and have everyone fill out the survey the same. Maybe that will make the changes come a little sooner. im up for it for when I receive mine...maybe I will get it today

SSRedRider
09-08-2004, 10:36 AM
I also got the survey. I will wait to fill it out to find out what everybody else is going to put on it. Trx450r rocks.

bobbo97f150
09-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm glad I got one without electric start. I was always having heck with battery connections and what not on the old timey 400EX. I hope they don't add electric start and/or reverse. They already have enough trail quads out there and not enough race machines.

SPARKS450RTT
09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Whats strange is I got a phone survey about a month ago. I did not have many complaints. My heavily modified 450R always starts right up.

exrider44
09-08-2004, 12:37 PM
I agree I could care less about electric start I love the kickstarter now. I used to have a 400ex and hated having to kick at first but now its so easy I cant complain. On that survey I just got it to yesterday. I am gonna add a note telling them the only thing they need to change is the dam rear linkage. It bucks you way to much. That would be key if they did that the bike all around is great otherwise.

jeepnrocks
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
i just hope if they make changes that the '04 and '05 owners can benefit from as well by being able to interchange the parts. i personally think they need to lower that seat height a bit. maybe they could do something with the subframe or something else to get it down some. this may fall in with the rear shock that everyone complains about. it seems fine to me but im still getting used to the quad and after i get faster i may notice its shortcomings more.
i also think they should put the hrc cam in the quad stock and maybe open the exhaust up a little if they can. the atv is so much more rideable in the woods with the hrc kit. probably because it revs faster. I also doubt we will see a 13 tooth front sprocket stock even though this makes a world of difference on the trails. other than that the motor is perfect in my opinion.
An electric start option would be nice but they should in no way shape or form get rid of the kick start, no matter what the wusses in the atv magazines say. sure it may be a hindrance if you stall on a track but ya know what? i dont really ride on a track and if your gonna give me a battery i want a bulletproof backup. even the old warriors had a nice pull start backup for a few years. i really gotta work on my writing i ramble so much. And if you have a battery then you have to cut weight somewhere else, and personally i dont want aluminum upper a-arms like the yammi.
they also need to fix the holes where the front fenders mount to the gas tank. they are plastic threaded and rteally need a metal insert as they strip uber easy (dealership stripped mine out)
even though the front bumper and rear grab bar are aluminum i think steel would be better in the front and a beefier aluminum in the back. (dont want steel on aluminum because i would rather tweak a grab bar than a subframe.
thats about it i guess :)

87250r88
09-08-2004, 06:09 PM
1st of all , If you can't start the 450R with the kicker you certainly shouldn't be riding it ! This thing starts easy with the kicker . 2nd , Electric start or reverse has no business on a race machine or MY trail machine. Keep It Simple Stupid applies here.
Yamaha has had many problems with their starters , batteries and electrical systems. Look at how many racers convert the YFZ to kick start. I hope Honda doesn't give into the crybabies at the ATV mags.

Hammer trx450r
09-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I seriously dont want electric start. Kicking my bike up is what fires me up to ride. Save that tech and fix the rear shock issue

35charlie
09-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 87250r88
Yamaha has had many problems with their starters , batteries and electrical systems. Look at how many racers convert the YFZ to kick start. I hope Honda doesn't give into the crybabies at the ATV mags.

Not saying the 450R should get a starter, but that's Yamaha. Honda does not suffer from the same flaky electrical systems. I've never so much as touched the battery terminals or used a charger in the 6 years I've had my EX.

I think the best option is to offer a 450EX model distinctly different from the R. It could offer e-start and maybe reverse. It could also have a wider ratio tranny, much like the CRF250X bike.

atcyalater
09-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by ohguy79
I heard the same rumor a week or two ago from some guys at a local track. They also claim the 450 will be fuel injected in 2006.
But, the fuel injection wouldn't surprize me. Most of honda's motorcycles are EFI.

I really dought that the TRX450 will get EFI any time soon but I have seen spy photos of an EFI CRF450 motocross bike.

Brian450
09-09-2004, 12:32 PM
If and when I do get the Honda 450R. I would like the elecric start but realy don't care for if honda puts it on. Kinda miss kicking over an atv to get it started. This is what came out of the October 2004 issue of ATV 4-WHEEL ACTION under the WHAT IS OUR FINAL ANSER. " WE DO KNOW THAT HONDA IS WORKING ON ADDING ELECTRIC STARTING TO THE 450R. SO, WE MAY BE SEEING THAT AS SOON AS 2006. REVERSE MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE, AND WE'RE MORE LIKELY TO SEE IT ON THE 400EX FIRST-MAYBE EVEN FOR 2005." So if it happens it happens. Just hope that they give us the riders the choice of putting a kick starter on it like the YFZ450.

09-09-2004, 01:08 PM
if you want the estart so bad get a YFZ...then you'll see that the grass isnt always greener on the other side when you start having problems with it

Brian450
09-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Don't tell me MixMasterMike, you only rode Honda atv's all you llife. I really don't give a crap about the YFZ450.

terko440
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Check out the Honda site. They have a new 450x Dirtbike with electric start. Noticed it added 35 pounds to the bike though. So more than likely they'll do something with the quad.

jeepnrocks
09-09-2004, 03:55 PM
um not to get in the middle of a fight but i had 1 yamaha. notice i said 1

09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Brian450
Don't tell me MixMasterMike, you only rode Honda atv's all you llife. I really don't give a crap about the YFZ450. ive ridden a craptor and warrior before...why dont you like the YFZ? it has your estart u want so bad

35charlie
09-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by terko440
Check out the Honda site. They have a new 450x Dirtbike with electric start. Noticed it added 35 pounds to the bike though. So more than likely they'll do something with the quad.

It alone didn't add 35 pounds. There's also a headlight & taillight and probably a quieter (heavier) silencer too among other changes.

35charlie
09-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Just hope that they give us the riders the choice of putting a kick starter on it like the YFZ450.

They will have both if and when they offer e-start. Both the CRF-X bikes have e-start and kicker plus unlike the 400ex, the 450R already has the changes for the forward kicker. I'm not sure why Yamaha had to offer the kicker as an option (unless the stock motor didn't have the gear set and sidecase already setup for it).

Brian450
09-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Someone please tell me where I said I wanted the electric start so BAD. I know I said I would like one on the 450R but kinda miss kicking an ATV over to get it started.

sntheticdeluson
09-09-2004, 07:37 PM
e start and reverse are for p****** and if you need them buy something else

Brian450
09-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Again, someone please tell me where I said I wanted electric start and for some reason reverse NOW.

awj8074
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ohguy79

EFI would be nice but unless they come up with some way to kick it over to charge the system then kickit over to start. it will need a battery.

Punk'd
09-09-2004, 10:03 PM
If I could pick one thing for it, it would be reverse:D

35charlie
09-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Again, someone please tell me where I said I wanted electric start and for some reason reverse NOW.

I think there's a whole lot of other people besides you that read these threads. I don't think anyone's really posting specifically to you.

Sm0k3d
09-09-2004, 10:06 PM
reverse sucks, added weight plus added battery/electrical, and plus more electrical and battery crap you have = more things to go WRONG. I believe in the K.I.S.S method like some others, Keep It Short and Simple.

allmixedup047
09-09-2004, 10:24 PM
you dont need a battery for reverse. i personaly like the way the motor is set up now. it could be a little lower on the center of gravity and i have not had a problem with the rear shock except one time. it was a 55ft table top that i overshot by about 5 ft. landed on straight flat ground.:( i have had many girls ranging from 16 to 20 kick start my quad just to prove a point to a couple of yfz owners. i love the kickstart. and for some reason when its in gear its a little harder to start and the 16yr old started it in gear.:macho and shes no heavy weight. about 115pounds.

Shipdawg
09-10-2004, 04:11 AM
damn why doesn't everyone just wine like little babies. i want e start and reverse, no i want less weight. holy ****. give me a ****en break. you all sound like a bunch of snot nosed brats. so what if the r doesn't have all the amenities you lazy asses would like. it was designed to race to keep up with yamaha and their race ready yfz. now don't get me wrong the 450r is still a great trail quad and is what i use it for. i personally like e start and reverse, but sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it to. so here's my 2 cents you can either like it or lump it.
P.S. Why don't ya'll just grow up and act like adults instaed of whining like a bunch or babies.

jeepnrocks
09-10-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Shipdawg
damn why doesn't everyone just wine like little babies. i want e start and reverse, no i want less weight. holy ****. give me a ****en break. you all sound like a bunch of snot nosed brats. so what if the r doesn't have all the amenities you lazy asses would like. it was designed to race to keep up with yamaha and their race ready yfz. now don't get me wrong the 450r is still a great trail quad and is what i use it for. i personally like e start and reverse, but sometimes you just can't have your cake and eat it to. so here's my 2 cents you can either like it or lump it.
P.S. Why don't ya'll just grow up and act like adults instaed of whining like a bunch or babies.
Well said.
All kind of people and the wussies at dirt wheels are whing "boo hoooo are legs get tired booo hooo the yfz has electric start waaaaaaa im a little girl " well ya know what dirt wheels and alll you other children that dont have the muscle density to kick start a little 450cc engine ? get over it becasue HONDA DID ASK YOU WHAT YOU WANT, AND THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY WANTED THE KICK START, now half the people complain. damn that honda for doing WHAT WE WANTED

exrider44
09-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Like I said before only thing I dont like is the rear shock and yes it does suck! If you ride alot of whoops you will notice no matter how far back u sit and adjust that thing it doesnt work. E start and reverse whatever! Im happy with it the way it is.:devil:

red2004 TRX450R
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
I think the r is a great quad, I use mine for trail riding. Reverse would be nice but I don’t want them to put it on.

I think if they make race “fast” quads with all the bells and whistles then more less skilled riders will buy them.
That may sound good for Honda but I think not because most people want the Biggest quad they can afford (just look at how big the 4X4’s are getting) and this will cause more accidents and deaths!!!!!
But if they make fast race quads with out all the bells and whistles then a lot of the stupid people who want the biggest just because will not buy the race quads and intern let the factory keep making race quads.

Under strand. SO I think Honda was trying to make the best race quad they could and also keep the wannabes off them, and on utility quads. So gov don’t put restrictions on them.

:devil: :blah:

jeepnrocks
09-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Good point ! I would like to add that while alot of us mod our quads a bunch there are aton of people out there that buy the quad and thats how it stays.

Brian450
09-10-2004, 10:13 AM
The only thing I plan on doing to the 450R when I get one. Is the HRC kit ( have dealership install ) , K&N air filter, full exhaust or slip-on, nerf bars and an IMS tank.

dhines
09-10-2004, 11:54 AM
You chumps and kiddies need to get a clue. I'm completely sick of the whole "If you're not man enough to kick it... blah...blah...blah"

I personally wish the 450R had an electric start - in fact, that's why I bought the YFZ instead. I race CC and I PREFER an electric start for the type of racing/riding that I do. Any of you 14 year olds have problem with that? If so, then you had better be prepared to call Bill Ballance and about half of the top guys racing CC pu$$ies too - cause they're using electric starters on their machines. :eek2:

In my opinion, Yamaha has handled the whole issue very well - they sell the YFZ with an electric start and then provide a factory conversion kit for you manly men who must kick start your machine to convince yourselves that you have something between your legs bigger than an inch worm. If Honda had gone this route, I would likely be on a 450R right now.

The only better option would, of course, be to have the electric start as an option when you purchase the machine.

Some of you ladies really need to detach your egos from your machines and not get so upset when someone suggests the 450R could benefit from some changes. It is a fantastic machine, but it ain't perfect for everyone.

jeepnrocks
09-10-2004, 07:26 PM
my point was that honda surveyed alot of people to see what the opinion on electric start was and thats the reason its there.
Now everyone bashes them for giving the people what they wanted
Oh and by the way, If a pro racer did start whining to me about how hard his new honda was to kick over then I would have not one single quam about asking him if his P@##y hurt. In fact he would probably never be able to come around anyone i ride with again because he would be laughed at constantly no matter how good of a rider he is.
Oh yeah I am not some punk kid by the way i guess I would fall under the chump category... dang if i was a punk it would mean i was in my teens again :(

dhines
09-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks

Oh yeah I am not some punk kid by the way i guess I would fall under the chump category... dang if i was a punk it would mean i was in my teens again :(

Yeah, punks usually grow into chumps. At least you're comfortable with it. :macho

Pappy
09-11-2004, 07:27 AM
rotflmao.....

id have to agree. in an mx, tt or xc race ive seen riders stall the 450R and ive watched them kick...and kick...and kick it to get going again. i love my R and would love it more with E start. i also see the rationale about keeping it simple and reliable with just the kick start. maybe honda will have the e start as an option to apease both sides:confused:

and id love to be there when a "punk" tells ballance he is a pussbag :devil: hell id like to see someone say it to dhines:blah:

jeepnrocks
09-11-2004, 07:49 AM
now to get off the subject of calling pro riders names and being a wuss if ya cant kickstart a quad but does anyone know why the 450 is way harder to kick over if you stall it as opposed to shutting it off? is there too much fuel left in the carb is ya just stall or something? I have been wondering about this.
and the best answer to this whole argurement is if you want e-start buy something else, get a rekluse for a nice middle ground, or just wait. its that easy.

TRX450R2
09-11-2004, 01:35 PM
I love mine the way it is now! Yamaha only added Kick-start cos e-start gave so much trouble!
E-start will end up on the the 450r as well but I hope It's only an optional model!

Ralph
09-11-2004, 01:49 PM
honda just made their crf450 dirtbike electric so i think 1 or 2 years till it makes it to quads. I think they should update the reat suspension, give it a more agreesive cam and they should step it up and be the first to put more race ready tires on the bike. Maybe something along the lines of 20's or something not so round.

jeepnrocks
09-11-2004, 04:15 PM
i have no problem callin someone a wuss if all they do is whine about sopmething that honda asked their opinion on. as fa ras being afraid to call one of these guysd
a wuss u gotta be jokn me ?
if they cant take a joke to heck with them, and if they want it to become physical im more than up to the task. these guys are quad riders not professional fighters.
"i dare you to say something like that to ballance or dhines" blah blah blah " im pretty sure they will just ride the mount thats paid for or best suits them and if they came riding with myself and my friends, yes they would get made fun of for riding a yamaha thats just how it iswhere i ride and there isn't anything that will change that.

SCOOTER99
09-12-2004, 12:10 AM
I work at a German car performance shop. And this is what I think about this whole subject. We rely 50 percent on what the forums are saying about are shop. We sculpt the business to what the customers want (for the most part).There are over 30000 post on the 450R in this forum alone. If they would take the time to read what the customers are saying on these pages they can make an un stopable quad with less R&D. At last, I think they just stick to changing off what the magazines state.

Chef
09-12-2004, 12:41 AM
I really dont see what the problem is between a 4 stroke and kick start. I have one of 21 Wiseco CRF500's, 12.5:1 compression, 3mm over Ti valves, the cam was too big for the carrier...the lobes hit. This thing has neither a hot start or manual decompression, just the automatic one on the cam. If I stall it when its hot, 3 kicks at the most and it fires...and it gets hot...Pro Series Radiator and if it sits in staging running for more than 5 minutes you can count on water blowin out of the bottom...If they ***** about not being able to start they XC motors they need to grow a leg and learn how to start their bike.

twisted threads
09-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Good call Chef!:macho

I you guys complaining should try to kick start my 250r if you want to see something with a HARD kick. My 450r is a piece of cake to start.