PDA

View Full Version : 350X/250R conversion quad questions

SixthFloorFreak
09-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Not sure where this belongs, so Mods, please move at your discretion.

250R's seem to bring rediculous amounts of money around here, even if they're utter pieces of crap. Lately i've been looking for one however, to replace the nice one i had a few years back, that i unfortunately sold like an idiot. I feel more comfortable on an R chassis than anything, so that's what i'd like to stick with.

A couple of days ago, i found a 250R with the 350x conversion just a few miles from my house. Frame seems to be in good shape...checked the top shock mount, foot peg area, under the seat area, just all the general problems areas that the 250R frames have. The conversion seems to be done right. Motor starts first kick, Works at both ends, AC bumper and skids, and decent Honda plastic.

The guys wants $2300 for the quad. I know that its kinda difficult to determine worth without seeing a quad, but does that sound reasonable? Will i be able to find an exhaust that will work with the quad frame(the exhaust that is on it is not stock, but it looks pretty crappy)? For those of you who are familiar with the swap...are any parts normally removed that would prevent me from easily putting a 250 motor back in it?

I think that's all for now. Sorry about writing a book, but much thanks to anyone who attempts to answer my questions.

:D

wilkin250r
09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Personally, I'm not all that familiar with the conversion, so I can't offer any information there. But I do know that it was a popular conversion before the 400EX to get a 4-stroke quad that would run circles around a Warrior. I haven't seen any exhaust systems for that particular conversion, but I would imagine somebody makes them.

I don't know about the modifications to fit a 350X engine, but lets assume they are minimal and easily reversed. At that point, I would say the price really depends on the condition of the chassis. A solid 250r rolling chassis in good condition will fetch $1500 pretty easily, possibly more. The 350X engine will fetch between $500-$800. So the price sounds reasonable if everything is in good condition, with a few performance upgrades.

ghak99
09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I am not positive, but I believe powroll makes a pipe for the 350x/250r conversion.

wilkin250r
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
I am not positive, but I believe powroll makes a pipe for the 350x/250r conversion.

I know they make one for the 350x/250x conversion, but I haven't seen one for the 350x/250r conversion from powroll.

89'350RX
09-08-2004, 04:20 PM
I did everything to my 1989 to make it a 350RX. The frame was modified....starter side up where the oil line enters into the motor as well as the reat motor mounts. I doubt it will be an easy convert to get a 250R motor back in.

As far as the muffler, I had a special head pipe built and then I purchased a universal Supertrapp muffler and once mounted, had a secondary pipe fitted to fit between the muffler and end of the tail pipe. The pipe & muffler were a difficult step in the conversion.

As far as performance, I will ride my 350RX over my 400EX any day. Keep in mind that my 350X motor is not stock. ;)

A few other things to look for ~~ look at how the oil lines leave the motor and connect to the remote oil filter. I purchased one of those 4-stroke tech aftermarket oil coolers and simply connected rubber hoses to it. I found out after a few runs that the rubber hoses slipped right off of the motor tubes so I ultimately converted everything over to SS braided lines with threaded connectors to prevent it from happening again.

Might want to pull the gas tank off of the frame and look at the underside of the plastic tank. When doing the conversion, the 350X carb is higher than the frame and hits the underside of the stock tank. If done right, the tank was heated up to allow it to flex over the carb and then cooled to remain in that position.

Any other questions, let me know. I did mine back in 1995 and it has been flawless ever since.

SixthFloorFreak
09-08-2004, 09:42 PM
would it be possible to use a stock 400ex oil tank and oil cooler on the 350x motor. i know the 400 cooler is larger, and the oil tank would allow more oil to be in the system. but would it work?

stocktires
09-09-2004, 01:29 PM
www.powroll.com
That is your place to go, the make a headpipe also.
Wish I had extra cash to build one. A kickstart, 6-speed 350 thumper is just one fun motor.

cdalejef
09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Fourstroke Tech also makes a pipe for the conversion. I don't think it would be wise to convert it back to a 250R. Alot of motor mounts bolts are cut off in the conversion and would have to be refabricated.
I had several 350RX conversions over the years and they make great quads! You won't need a 400ex oil tank (350X doesn't have an internal oil pump capable of moving oil to and from a tank), just get an aftermarket oil cooler like the one from FST and you'll be all set.