View Full Version : new pic and cleaning tip.

turboTony
09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
before:
http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org:8080/savoy_mud.jpg

after:
http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org:8080/450rclean.jpg

I still haven't gotten skidplates or a bumper yet but I did swap the shock covers off the banshee. :D

cleaning tip: I heard about this stuff from a guy I've been riding with and he swore by it so I picked some up and it works GREAT!
Castrol super clean cleaner/degreaser. Can be found at Wal-Mart for like $6 in a big purple jug.
Rinse all the big chunks of mud off with a hose and then walk around the quad spraying this stuff on liberally. After you get all the way around, start rinsing off with the hose. Dry with a chamois and you're done. Thats it.
Works good on rims too but I wouldn't leave it on too long...

r450rr
09-07-2004, 08:52 PM
looks very trick!! i like the black but that color is just not for me i am a red kinda guy.. anyways nice looking.. what all u got olans for?

turboTony
09-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by r450rr
what all u got olans for?
huh?...

Jersey450R
09-08-2004, 05:42 AM
Turbo, are you sure you can spray that suff everywhere? If its degreaser, you may want to watch some of the places you put it. I dont even spray or go near my engine with anything, just a damp cloth.. Then again, i dont ride in mud.

Pappy
09-08-2004, 06:10 AM
super clean will tarnish aluminum and chrome.

Flynbryan19
09-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
super clean will tarnish aluminum and chrome.

Ditto.......

Almost ruined my twin spar frame on my Crf450...:mad: Took ALOT of Mother's polish to bring it back again. Don't get that stuff near aluminum. Which usually means no where near your quad period.....:(

Flynbryan19
09-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Actually, Pappy what do you use to clean your quads? I used to use simple green, but have noticed that it seems to be corroding my engine cases. I tried just using regular old car soap, but I need something stronger to get the "hard to reach" places clean.... Any ideas?

jeepnrocks
09-08-2004, 07:12 AM
how about using that engine degreaser stuff you can get for detailing ? the foamy stuff worked really well on my jeep.

Pappy
09-08-2004, 07:17 AM
i use only simple green. and i use it the way it was developed...

wash off all heavy dirt, then spray full strength simple green on the wet quad. allow to sit for a minute or two (without drying) then wash off. i repeat this until i get tgo a point where i can use a sponge and a soft bristle brush. after im done the quad is coated in wd-40. after about 20 minutes i wipe off any excess wd-40.

ive never had simple green affect anything. now hard water will spot powdercoat and chrome and tarnish billet.

Pappy
09-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
how about using that engine degreaser stuff you can get for detailing ? the foamy stuff worked really well on my jeep.

"gunk" engine bright can be used on the engine, i have used it but im careful not to let it sit on chrome or polished aluminum dry...

MY450R
09-08-2004, 07:19 AM
thats a nice lookin wheeler
btw...tony are you going sunday to the ride?let me know when and where and me and my friends will go

Flynbryan19
09-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i use only simple green. and i use it the way it was developed...

wash off all heavy dirt, then spray full strength simple green on the wet quad. allow to sit for a minute or two (without drying) then wash off. i repeat this until i get tgo a point where i can use a sponge and a soft bristle brush. after im done the quad is coated in wd-40. after about 20 minutes i wipe off any excess wd-40.

ive never had simple green affect anything. now hard water will spot powdercoat and chrome and tarnish billet.

Thanks for the reply Pappy.:) I've used Simple Green for Yeeeaaarrss, and never thought of it, but it seems like something is causing corrosion to them. I thought it may have been the cleaner, but I'm not really gonna worry about it.

Shawn H
09-08-2004, 08:26 AM
All I use is simple green as well and have never had a problem with corrosion either.

Jersey450R
09-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Pappy, you use w-d40 on the whole quad!? What parts do you hit? . dosent it attract a whole lot of dust and dirt??

Bad Ass TA WS6
09-08-2004, 08:47 AM
If you use GUNK engine brite, you really have to be quick. It can take the silver paint off your frame really quick. We use that stuff at work and you really need to be careful around paint.

Simple Green is OK, but it doesn corrode aluminum. SG even recommends not using it on aluminum surfaces.

Castrol Superclean works great, it won't affect painted surfaces, and will pull off dirt and grime just as good as simple green.

Pappy
09-08-2004, 08:48 AM
i use it on everything. yes it will attract dust but truthfully...these are off road machines and are usually covered in a matter of minutes when riding so unless its really dusty you wont notice.

the benifits out way the downfalls IMO. and it makes clean up a snap ....just rinse her off.

Pappy
09-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Bad *** TA WS6

Castrol Superclean works great, it won't affect painted surfaces, and will pull off dirt and grime just as good as simple green.

it will affect painted surfaces. ive seen it discolor rims and other parts. it does do an excellent job of removing dirt and grease but is too harmful for use on my quads. been there done that.
ask rico about his fun with that stuff
:devil:

Pappy
09-08-2004, 08:53 AM
and im not talking your run of the mill mud monster here...any quad i get my hands on stays spotless unless its being thrashed on a track!

Pappy
09-08-2004, 09:07 AM
i wish i could find a supplier for this stuff i used on my race cars. "Dri-Wash"

after cleaning the car you sprayed it on and wiped it off. dust wouldnt even stick to the surface. i used it on my rear quater panels and rubber from my slicks would just fall off instead of sticking to the car. it would be an excellent product for atv's especially the plastic.

Kilabanshee
09-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Yeah that castrol cleaner on my quad after every hairescramble or if its just dirty. I usually dont spray it on the fenders just the motor, swingarm, rims, bumper ect.

remlapr
09-08-2004, 09:21 AM
I always use simply green. I tried Rico's wisk or whatever it was, but it just sudded up in the bottle and became hard to spray.

Jersey450R
09-08-2004, 10:53 AM
ok pappy, your saying you spray down EVERY part on the quad with w-d40 and then rinse it? or wipe it? What parts shouldnt hit with it?

Pappy
09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
i hit everything..all metal surfaces, under the fenders , all electrical components. after about 20 minutes i wipe every thing down with a clean cloth.

now with everything on my quads usually powdercoated, i dont do the frame and such i wait until right before a race etc. powdercoating makes clean up so easy.

just test an area (or spare part) with any new cleaners to see how they do.

as far as chrome and billet....i believe i was told to use rubbing alchohol in a sprit bottle. spray it on and its back to looking good. popo could elaborate on this. i know he uses it and his stuff always seems to look clean and polished.

exrider44
09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
I use simple green also but I got mine from the honda dealer. It actually is a foaming version it works great!

09-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Some jackazz on this page recommended white lightening to clean a quad with.

My dumazz didn't read the precautions and sprayed my quad down with it one time. Well white lightening eats and corodes aluminum so my rims, front bumper, and all other bare alulminimum got ruined.....:mad: :mad:

the wisk works you just can't force water into the bottle at 500PSI...:rolleyes: It doesn't work as good as simple green but it's still decent..

I use simple green only now.

red2004 TRX450R
09-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Some jackazz on this page recommended white lightening to clean a quad with.

My dumazz didn't read the precautions and sprayed my quad down with it one time. Well white lightening eats and corodes aluminum so my rims, front bumper, and all other bare alulminimum got ruined.....:mad: :mad:

the wisk works you just can't force water into the bottle at 500PSI...:rolleyes: It doesn't work as good as simple green but it's still decent..

I use simple green only now.

ya but wisk makes it smell so good
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119900

JrdSHIFT450r
09-23-2004, 08:29 PM
simple green and wd 40 afterwards just watch them roters

protrax
09-24-2004, 09:33 AM
I have found this stuff at my local auto parts store its called Trim Shine and its made by Stoner, i spray it on after washing the bike and wipe it off the next day , it makes your bike look brand new and dosn't corrode anything !

Parrella450
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
everyones got their own techniques..i guess i got it easy cuz my dad owns a carwash. i jus pull into the self-serve bay....prep it...brush it down..engine cleaner...rinse then wax. thing comes out tit. But when i cant go there i usually powerwash it all down...WD-40 the whole bike...let it sit for 20 mins...then rinse it again...lube the chain...armor all all plastics...then NeverDull anything that isnt armor allable....then wipe it all down..stuff is awesome. i highly recommend it.

Any u guys in the Mass area...
-Check out Brockton TouchFree carwash...1015 main st. Brockton

Martin Blair
09-24-2004, 05:26 PM
DW40 sounds like a good idea excpet it will rust stuff eventually the propelent is corosive to raw metals, my dad use to own Costum Vans in NC, they used to spary raw body work down with DW40 but switched to just regular oil after they found it caused rust. As long as your parts are pced/painted it should be fine, I just use turtlewax car was/wax, a big brush and a little spoung to get hard to reach stuff.Never used the power washer or simple green. It takes me about 2 hours to clean my bike with the brush and little spoung to get everything but I know its clean. Use armoral wipes on the plastic to get the mud of easy, just wipe it down and it will evetually soak in or evaporate dunno which, but it makes cleanup easy as well.

Jersey450R
09-25-2004, 06:39 AM
i just cant seeing spraying my whole quad with wd-40. i think it would be quite the mess. especially the parts you forget to wipe off. theres still gonna be that leftover greasy mess when your done anyway. so you guys spray everything huh...including the shocks? motor? seat? handlebars? i would think this would eventually loosen all the bolts and such right...it just sounds weird to me to spray the WHOLE quad with wd-40. i dont know...lemme know what you guys think...dave

Parrella450
09-25-2004, 07:29 AM
yea you definitly have a point there...didnt think of it that way...but my main focus is just on the motor and drivetrain areas

09-25-2004, 01:40 PM
I use Super Clean also. Have been for years. Used it on my 250R forever. You just have to mix it with water. DON'T USE IT STRAIGHT. I mix it about 75% water 25% superclean. I spray it eveywhere. plastic. engine, chain, grips the whole quad. Also make sure the quad is hosed off and wet before you spray it on.

09-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
i just cant seeing spraying my whole quad with wd-40. i think it would be quite the mess. especially the parts you forget to wipe off. theres still gonna be that leftover greasy mess when your done anyway. so you guys spray everything huh...including the shocks? motor? seat? handlebars? i would think this would eventually loosen all the bolts and such right...it just sounds weird to me to spray the WHOLE quad with wd-40. i dont know...lemme know what you guys think...dave

I personally don't spray my whole quad with WD40, but I know a lot of people that do. I use silicone on my quad. I spray it everwhere. Makes it shine and easier to wash.

jeepnrocks
09-25-2004, 03:24 PM
i wipe my quad down with doe in heat buck lure. the quad smells so bad that dirt wont even come near it, although i do have to figure out a way to keep all the bucks from chasing me thru the woods :)

allmixedup047
09-25-2004, 08:20 PM
scrubbing bubbles. that stuff works good. i use a whole can on one quad. put it on and let it sit for a bit then rinse it off. cuts some grease also.

turboTony
09-25-2004, 09:46 PM
I wonder how that new bathroom cleaner with teflon would work? In the commercials the dirt doesn't stick at all. *shrug

ohski
09-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
scrubbing bubbles. that stuff works good. i use a whole can on one quad. put it on and let it sit for a bit then rinse it off. cuts some grease also.

Hahahahahaha... boy you just brought back some memories... My buddy back in high school used that on his 250R. That was 15 years ago :eek2:

Wade

spincr4hire
09-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Simple Green is the sh*t, I should buy company stock I use so much of it.

10secKing
09-26-2004, 10:56 PM
that is why i LOVE the dunes. it is so clean and it doesnt take sh*t to clean up!! but do you guys NEVER use power washers to clean your bikes?

and PAPPY, you can get that dri wash stuff out of JEGS or SUMMIT, cause i use it on the quarters of my car and NEVER have to wash them off, cause they are never dirty.

MX#9
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
I've always used a pressure washer and dishwashing soap,scrub brush,and sponge to wash. Then after it dries,totally douse it with Armor-All,wipe off seat,levers,and grips right away and then wipe off excess after it "sets up". This has always worked for me.

turboTony
09-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
I've always used a pressure washer and dishwashing soap,scrub brush,and sponge to wash.

I guess you don't own a black R... ;)
Careful with the pressure wash. I've seen them blow off decals if you're not paying attention.

bigblock
09-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I cant believe no one is using honda bright(s100) that stuff
is awesome . Just use as directed and you will be amazed....
plus its honda I mean come on, its gotta be good:)

turboTony
09-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bigblock

plus its honda I mean come on, its gotta be good:)

and most likely expensive.:D

speedfreaksguy
09-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Maxima sells a product called SC1 silicone detailer. I use it on my plastics and motor. Leaves everything shiny and smells great. Maxima also sells a 80W MTL that is awesome in the 450R transmission.