PDA

View Full Version : 400EX sputters at creek crossings

47501exracer
09-07-2004, 08:22 PM
The last couple races when I cross very narrow 6-8 inch deep creeks, my quad sputters and won't hardly go for about 5-10 seconds. I have checked after the races and there is no water in the airbox or the drain thingy which is all stock. I run a K&N filter with an Outerwear. What's wrong? Could this be electrical? It never happened for the first 15-20 of my races and I have ran through a lot more water in the past with no problems. And this doesn't happen anywhere on dry areas either.

400exdad
09-08-2004, 06:44 AM
If you have modded your airbox lid, that is probably where the problem is.... I wasn't sure if you said yours was all stock or not. .. Even if you aren't finding water in the bottom of it. The other thing I would suggest is some silicone or dielectric grease in the sparkplug cap. Water could be getting in there grounding it out.... Make sure the cap is all the way on too. Good Luck.

47501exracer
09-08-2004, 10:17 AM
The airbox and lid have no holes. I just got 2 new plugs last week. I guess I'll change it and put the dielectric grease on it and see what happens.

IBGPIN
09-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I have same issues with my stock 250x.
I figured it was electrical, because I could not see any traces of water in my air box. I cleaned and used Dielectric grease on all of the electrical connections, also made sure the air tube etc were tight and intact. Still no luck.
Funny thing too, I sprayed everything I could with the hose and could not duplicate the sputtering, but as soon as I get out onto the trail in deaper water it will start to sputter and want to stall.

I never put dielectric grease on the plug boot though. I will try that as well.
Good luck and sorry I could not be more help.

47501exracer
10-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Same thing happened at the Ironman yesterday. It was BAD! I lost about 5-6 minutes total cause it happened like 3 times. I had to hold the throttle WFO for it to clear. Is the water coming into the airbox somehow(through the snorkel) and getting sucked into the engine? Should I try a different filter? What do the rest of you XC racers use? I am using dielectric grease on the plug. Do you guys leave that pink drain tube on yours? Thanks for the help.

hallstudio
10-24-2004, 08:46 PM
any possability that the motor is rapidly cooling off and basicly has to warm up again. just a guess

nosliw
10-24-2004, 08:55 PM
i saw a post a while ago about the same thing and i think the problem was the coil getting wet

47501exracer
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't think it is an electrical problem. The motor will stay running but when you give it gas, it doesn't want to rev any higher. It just sputters. Any XC riders had the same problem?