PDA

View Full Version : Need a little axle nut help!

4fiddyR
09-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Can someone refresh my memory?
I was washing my quad, and when I was scrubbing my rear sprocket I noticed it was a bit loose on the axle splines, and the locknut sleeve could rock back and forth if you gripped it and turned . I was going to see if my nut backed off or if my carier bearings were going south. I loosened the bigger skinny nut, and then I "TRIED" to loosen the smaller wider nut, IT WON"T BUDGE!
I soaked it in PB Blaster let it sit, tried again, it won't move. I tried turning it in both directions, and now I'm not sure what way to turn it. Anyway I had someone sitting on the seat holding the rear brake, and I was lifting them off the ground, and moving them backward when I tried going the other way, it hasn't moved one millimeter!
Anyway, anyone know what direction to turn the smaller wide axle nut to loosen it up? And if so what do you think about heating the nut up with a torch? I work at a auto dealership, and we do that to rusted out tie rod ends on cars and trucks if they are seized when doing alignments.
I haven't took my axle out since I put a Lonestar in it back in Feburary.
Thanks in advance, 4FiddyR

35charlie
09-07-2004, 10:52 PM
If you want to loosen it, you need to turn the smaller diameter (wider) nut the same way you turned the other one. They basically chase each other along the threaded tube. They both loosen as they move toward the brake disc.

By all means, heat the nut. Heat makes the nut expand away from the tube it's threaded onto. Also, I've found Gumout carb cleaner is good at penetrating stuck threads.

FatBoy Racing
09-08-2004, 01:39 AM
the threads on there reversed, and to loosen them they need to go towards the center. between these two factors, its no wonder people get it mixed up. from the dealer, the axle nut and lock nut are wicked tight, so even when you're doing it right, it feels wrong.

To tighten;
1. Turn the axle nut (wide one) clockwise until tight and there is no play in the axle.
2. Turn the lock nut (narrow ring) clockwise against the axle nut.
Factory torque is 80 or more pounds as I recall, so you've really gotta wrench on it, and use permanent loctite. Doing this, it MIGHT stay tight, but you'll need to check it every ride to be sure.

To loosen; (and/or remove)
1. Turn the lock nut (narrow ring) counter-clockwise until it is about an inch away from the axle nut. If this is first time it is being removed, you will need a large wrench and probably a small/med sledge to break it loose.
2. Turn the axle nut (wide one) counter clockwise until the circlip underneath is exposed, pop it off, and everything comes apart somewhat easy from there.

Keeping this assembly tight is a constant and annoying pain, so I'd recommend you look for mezsaro's axle nut, which makes this headache go away for good. See the review on this site for this item.

Good luck!

4fiddyR
09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
THanks for everyones help, I got it tight, once we found out what way to turn the wider nut to make the axle tight we used a 6 ft cheater bar on a 24 inch cresent wrench. She is tight again.
I think I'm gonna invest in an anti fade from Lonestar in the near future.
Thanks again everyone!

Ride Red!:devil: