PDA

View Full Version : my color theory..

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 06:31 PM
i was sitting here thinking earlier and i came up with this...we say the color blue is a mixture of yellow and green, correct? well...whos to say that when i see that mixture of yellow and green as the color we know as blue...some1 else isnt seeing what i see as black, or some other color that is completely the opposite of my preception of blue. we just dont realize it because weve been told out whole life that THAT IS GREEN! and we just dont know any better? i was sitting here with my girl when i realized this and she was like "well then wouldnt everything be funny colored and stuff?" but how would we know it was funny colored when thats all weve ever known as green...or blue...or any color for that matter... and everything looks normal to us...? i dont know...just a random thought...anyone else ever thought of something similar?

Dan_Guetter
09-07-2004, 06:34 PM
pass the bong:bandit:

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 06:37 PM
i dont even smoke dog i realized the errors of my ways and quit that hell now i throw people out of my truck no matter where we are or who it is if they try to smoke in it. it pisses me off to see people do it...and it makes me feel sick...haha

u dont ever think out of the box much do u?haha

Wired
09-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
i was sitting here thinking earlier and i came up with this...we say the color blue is a mixture of yellow and green, correct? well...whos to say that when i see that mixture of yellow and green as the color we know as blue...some1 else isnt seeing what i see as black, or some other color that is completely the opposite of my preception of blue. we just dont realize it because weve been told out whole life that THAT IS GREEN! and we just dont know any better? i was sitting here with my girl when i realized this and she was like "well then wouldnt everything be funny colored and stuff?" but how would we know it was funny colored when thats all weve ever known as green...or blue...or any color for that matter... and everything looks normal to us...? i dont know...just a random thought...anyone else ever thought of something similar?

no joke but me and a friend thought of the same idea and tried to actually prove it but couldnt our second year of college. hahaha

Dan_Guetter
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
i was joking brotha.....cripes

settle down there bucko, i don't smoke eitha

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
no gettin pissed i know the deal around here with the mexican hahah

im not so sure that it can be proved there is no real way to know what color any certian person sees. if there was something like a way to trace brain patterns they would all be the same wave length (that being if wave length is the way color would be traced) because we all have the preception of the same color in our mind when in all reality they may not me....

I-7
09-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Its an interesting theory but I dont think it would work out because then there would be no such thing as people being color blind because they wouldnt know :confused:

JUSTINcredible
09-07-2004, 07:10 PM
ive thought of this alot. i tried to explain it to some of my friends once but none of them could understand what i was trying to say and thought i went retarded on them or somthing...

always wonderd but i dont know how u could prove it:confused:

416exmx
09-07-2004, 07:22 PM
i wonder sometimes how things got their name. like a potato for instance, if you saying it and thinking as you say it, it sounds funny and you wonder how it got its name. same way with a color. when a color got its name how was it named??

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by I-7
Its an interesting theory but I dont think it would work out because then there would be no such thing as people being color blind because they wouldnt know :confused:

the public mass still sees (insert color) as (repeat previously stated color). so people could see a different color than what the public mass sees as a certian color.

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 416exmx
i wonder sometimes how things got their name. like a potato for instance, if you saying it and thinking as you say it, it sounds funny and you wonder how it got its name. same way with a color. when a color got its name how was it named??

haha yea i do that all the time. or say a word and just hope u said the right word because it sounds so wrong.

Got Roost?
09-07-2004, 07:41 PM
i have thought about the same thing, but with taste. which would explain why some people like the taste of certain things while others do not.:huh

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Got Roost?
i have thought about the same thing, but with taste. which would explain why some people like the taste of certain things while others do not.:huh

well if that explains why some people dont like some things then what explains why everything tastes like chicken?

cletusEX
09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
I always wondered about people who where born blind. They have no idea of color. They can feel shapes and get an image of what something looks like but how can you explain red to someone who has never seen a color.

JOEX
09-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
i was sitting here thinking earlier and i came up with this...we say the color blue is a mixture of yellow and green, correct?
Not correct, blue is a primary color as is red and yellow. Various combinations of those three colors make the rest of the colors we see or perceive:p

kicken250x
09-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Not correct, blue is a primary color as is red and yellow. Various combinations of those three colors make the rest of the colors we see or perceive:p

haha well i was using the crayola thing...cause most people dont know things of this sort

TheFontMaster
09-07-2004, 08:56 PM
I think my brain just overlaoded. :blah:

batgeek
09-07-2004, 09:19 PM
yeah because all the theories on lightwaves and visible spectrum are complete BS!!!

8th grade science. geez.

out of the box, and complete idiocy are 2 different things.

rollie
09-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
I always wondered about people who where born blind. They have no idea of color. They can feel shapes and get an image of what something looks like but how can you explain red to someone who has never seen a color.

i just thought about this......if you are born blind you have no concept of an colors other than black so imagine someone saying yeah its blue and not knowing what blue is.....and i wonder how to explain a color alot to...i dont think its possible lol:eek: :cool:

MY450R
09-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
you took the words outa my mouth

zephead400ex
09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
I haven't seen Wilken's post so the answer does not lie in this thread:D

allmixedup047
09-08-2004, 12:48 PM
i just thought about this......if you are born blind you have no concept of an colors other than black so imagine someone saying yeah its blue and not knowing what blue is.....and i wonder how to explain a color alot to...i dont think its possible lol
how do we know that blind people have concept of black. they dont know dark or light. im talking about all the way completely blind people. like maybe even no eyes. i was just wondering, they might not see anything. and as far as colors, they have different shades and brightnesses, but the dark colors would be hard to tell apart.

wilkin250r
09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Well, we can define colors by wavelengths of light, that's pretty easy. So certain colors do have irrevocable scientific meanings based on the properties of electromagnetic waves. This also applies to mixtures of colors, i.e. mixing yellow and blue to make green.

Now, the uncertainty comes with the perception of colors. You can never truly know exactly how somebody percieves a certain stimulus. Perception is simply a pattern of electrical impulses along neural networks, and even with todays technology we still don't quite understand the translation. But I doubt the translation is exactly the same for everybody. So the specific neural firing pattern that one person percieves as "red" might be translated by another person as "yellow", or maybe not even a color at all, but rather it would be translated as "pain".

But the universal equalizer is the learned behavior. We associate the name "blue" to a specific range of electromagnetic waves, regardless of the individual perception. Regarless of the actual mental image you have in your mind, a stopsign is always "red", as are fire engines and apples. Sure, somebody else might percieve the world differently than you, and it's interesting to ponder, for about five minutes. Then you realize that the description of his perception is exactly the same as your desciption, so why is it really that interesting?

09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
No matter what be glad ebonics is not our full time language.. :eek2: :eek2:

redroost85
09-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Dang dudes, you know more about colors than most chicks I know!:huh

My color vocabulary goes about as far as a Crayola 8 pack, lol!:D

newts400ex
09-08-2004, 06:09 PM
lmao pass it my way when ur done

kicken250x
09-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Well, we can define colors by wavelengths of light, that's pretty easy. So certain colors do have irrevocable scientific meanings based on the properties of electromagnetic waves. This also applies to mixtures of colors, i.e. mixing yellow and blue to make green.

Now, the uncertainty comes with the perception of colors. You can never truly know exactly how somebody percieves a certain stimulus. Perception is simply a pattern of electrical impulses along neural networks, and even with todays technology we still don't quite understand the translation. But I doubt the translation is exactly the same for everybody. So the specific neural firing pattern that one person percieves as "red" might be translated by another person as "yellow", or maybe not even a color at all, but rather it would be translated as "pain".

But the universal equalizer is the learned behavior. We associate the name "blue" to a specific range of electromagnetic waves, regardless of the individual perception. Regarless of the actual mental image you have in your mind, a stopsign is always "red", as are fire engines and apples. Sure, somebody else might percieve the world differently than you, and it's interesting to ponder, for about five minutes. Then you realize that the description of his perception is exactly the same as your desciption, so why is it really that interesting?

god i hate you....hahaha naah ur a smart guy...if not, u sure as hell know how to make ur self sound smart...

Then you realize that the description of his perception is exactly the same as your desciption, so why is it really that interesting?

we always wonder things, its human nature to question. things of the least significance are often times the more interesting to us just becase we like to question things.

SRH
09-08-2004, 09:33 PM

yeah maaaaaaaan what if like stars were never called stars but moons and like we totally got them mixed and jupiter wasnt a planet but a star maaaaaaan and the moon would be a star so like jupiter would be a star mmmmmman

wilkins just copies and pastes that stuff:eek2:

;)

allmixedup047
09-08-2004, 09:47 PM
has anyone looked out into space, and thought to themselves, wow it never never never ends. it boggles my mind. we are a spec in space, and earth seems so big to us.

SRH
09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
has anyone looked out into space, and thought to themselves, wow it never never never ends. it boggles my mind. we are a spec in space, and earth seems so big to us.

yeah my theory is were in a shoe box and the stars are a bunch of holes in the box so we can breath and the other planets are just rubber bouncy balls that have swirled colors

JUSTINcredible
09-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SRH
yeah my theory is were in a shoe box and the stars are a bunch of holes in the box so we can breath and the other planets are just rubber bouncy balls that have swirled colors

i like this guys theory:p

09-08-2004, 10:28 PM

I think about that all the time. for all we know we could be living on a spec of dust we call earth. its hard to explain but you guys know what im talking about

JUSTINcredible
09-08-2004, 10:33 PM
makes a guy wonder what else is all out there???

i mean there is alot of "space" out there and there has to be somthing. Its hard to even comprehend the never ending space, or maybe SRH is right and we live in shoe bux with holes and a bunch of marbles in it??

Nausty
09-08-2004, 10:52 PM

holy **** you are smart, Their is no way I could ever explain something like that to someone and have it make sense.
god damn, i'm jealous

allmixedup047
09-08-2004, 10:57 PM
i like your logical thinking.:D

crday98
09-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
i just thought about this......if you are born blind you have no concept of an colors other than black so imagine someone saying yeah its blue and not knowing what blue is.....and i wonder how to explain a color alot to...i dont think its possible lol:eek: :cool: i'll open up a whole new can of worms on this one:D
how do we know blind people can't see colors?
"test it out for yourself"
step 1. close your eyes (oh chit!!!! now i'm blind)
step 2. take your index fingers and place them on your eyes and apply pressure.(note to the lesser educated folks:while keeping eyes closed;) )
step 3.after a min or so, now you will notice little colorful lines,clouds,dots,etc appearing before your eyes.
you are blind cuz you can't see but you CAN see colors.
step 4. keep eyes closed and imagine how fuggin retarded you'd look if someone walked into the room while performing this test.:D
step 5. take some asprin or similar medication and lay down in a dark room until your headache goes away;)

allmixedup047
09-08-2004, 11:45 PM
i'll open up a whole new can of worms on this one

my grandpa was blind in one eye and he couldnt see color in that eye. i think when you do that its your mind playing with you.

310Rduner
09-09-2004, 12:02 AM
I will raise this point which I think one other person flirted with. If you are blind from birth, what exactly is the sensation of seeing Absolutely NOTHING? Most of you are thinking that if you close your eyes and only see black, that it is similiar to what blindness would be. But, depending on the particular cause of your blindness, would there not even be a sense of blackness? The only trick I can use to picture this idea.. is to ask what it feels like to lift up a glass with your 4th arm. I'm not even quite sure that works, because with blindess unless you were born without eyes or the neural connections you would still have the hardware. I'm not certain but with blindess caused by retinal problems.. I imagine you would still see black because you have the neural connections in place but no light actually coming through the retina; no light would = blackness. I'm looking for the answer on google, but it is difficult to find any answers, or debates on the subject.

trueblue450
09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by crday98
i'll open up a whole new can of worms on this one:D
how do we know blind people can't see colors?
"test it out for yourself"
step 1. close your eyes (oh chit!!!! now i'm blind)
step 2. take your index fingers and place them on your eyes and apply pressure.(note to the lesser educated folks:while keeping eyes closed;) )
step 3.after a min or so, now you will notice little colorful lines,clouds,dots,etc appearing before your eyes.
you are blind cuz you can't see but you CAN see colors.
step 4. keep eyes closed and imagine how fuggin retarded you'd look if someone walked into the room while performing this test.:D
step 5. take some asprin or similar medication and lay down in a dark room until your headache goes away;)

All i can say is NO........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

allmixedup047
09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Most of you are thinking that if you close your eyes and only see black, that it is similiar to what blindness would be. But, depending on the particular cause of your blindness, would there not even be a sense of blackness?
that is what i was tring to say earlier.:blah:

crday98
09-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
All i can say is NO........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
lol,i can't believe some people actually took me as being serious when i posted that:huh
it was only a joke to go along with the rest of them in this thread.it in a no-brainer that closing your eyes doesn't make you blind.if you close your eyes,you can certainly see color reguardless.i love how some of you kids come here and try to be hard-arse dorks like you know it all by throwing up the good ole rolleyes.i am glad you cleared the thought of this not being possible for the rest of the exriders population with an IQ of equal or lesser than yours;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

allmixedup047
09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm looking for the answer on google, but it is difficult to find any answers, or debates on the subject.

oh, you must be on the debate team at your school!:rolleyes:

310Rduner
09-09-2004, 02:38 PM
oh, you must be on the debate team at your school!:rolleyes:

And why do you say that? Because I chose to use the word 'debates'?

wilkin250r
09-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
And why do you say that? Because I chose to use the word 'debates'?

No. Because you're a nerd, and nerds are on the debate team. ;) :blah: :macho

310Rduner
09-09-2004, 02:49 PM

OoH you're one to talk:blah:

Hmm.. I love the internet.. but I couldn't tell you the bus speed on my computer. Also I love guns, collect knives... have a hotrod.. hate star-trek, but I'm smart. Yep.. definately a nerd:huh

310Rduner
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM

And answer my question damnit!:o

Hop on aim wilkin....

wilkin250r
09-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
And answer my question damnit!:o

Hop on aim wilkin....

No can do, I'm at work. I only have AIM on my home computer.

What question did you need answered, the one about blindness, or why you're on the debate team? :p

The only thing I can say about blindness is that you, I, or probably anybody else on this board will never fully comprehend the sensation of blindness.

You can think of the brain as a self-programming computer. You have a set of inputs (your senses) and outputs (your muscles) and the brain programs itself to utilize these inputs and outputs. The only reason we know what "red" means is that we learn to associate the word "red" with a certain input, the neural pattern created by light waves within a certain range of wavelengths. If you never have the input, you never make the association.

You could just as well say "What's it like to live without being able to read other peoples thoughts, without ESP?" We never had that input, so it's not a big deal to us. Likewise, we can't really comprehend what it WOULD be like to read other people's thoughts. Would we read all their thoughts, or only a select few. Could we probe their minds, or do they choose which thoughts to project, like speaking without a voice? Like hearing, are there some more sensitive than others to thought reception? Can you "shout" your thoughts? We don't know. We can theorize, but we can't truly comprehend.

Now, the interesting debate/study would be: Do blind people have any perception of light/color at all? If you close your eyes real tight, maybe apply pressure to your eyelids with your hands, you can see swirling colors. You can identify these colors because you learned to associate names with specific wavelengths. But do blind people also have these "sensations"? Or are they a phantom sensation of our own senses and associations, just our imagination? Can blind people see in their dreams, or do they just utilize the same sensory input they have in their normal waking lives?

310Rduner
09-09-2004, 04:34 PM
No can do, I'm at work. I only have AIM on my home computer.

What question did you need answered, the one about blindness, or why you're on the debate team? :p

The only thing I can say about blindness is that you, I, or probably anybody else on this board will never fully comprehend the sensation of blindness.

You can think of the brain as a self-programming computer. You have a set of inputs (your senses) and outputs (your muscles) and the brain programs itself to utilize these inputs and outputs. The only reason we know what "red" means is that we learn to associate the word "red" with a certain input, the neural pattern created by light waves within a certain range of wavelengths. If you never have the input, you never make the association.

You could just as well say "What's it like to live without being able to read other peoples thoughts, without ESP?" We never had that input, so it's not a big deal to us. Likewise, we can't really comprehend what it WOULD be like to read other people's thoughts. Would we read all their thoughts, or only a select few. Could we probe their minds, or do they choose which thoughts to project, like speaking without a voice? Like hearing, are there some more sensitive than others to thought reception? Can you "shout" your thoughts? We don't know. We can theorize, but we can't truly comprehend.

Now, the interesting debate/study would be: Do blind people have any perception of light/color at all? If you close your eyes real tight, maybe apply pressure to your eyelids with your hands, you can see swirling colors. You can identify these colors because you learned to associate names with specific wavelengths. But do blind people also have these "sensations"? Or are they a phantom sensation of our own senses and associations, just our imagination? Can blind people see in their dreams, or do they just utilize the same sensory input they have in their normal waking lives?

Ok so I was write, and you even used an analogy very similiar to mine but in more depth. I would say that people who are blind because of issues with their retina's would see color, but the pressure from your finger has nothing to do with light getting passed the retina. The pressure would just be stimulating the connections in some other way.

wilkin250r
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, that would be a matter of debate. Is it really stimulating the retina via pressure to produce color, or is the "color" we see just our imagination and our brain trying decipher an unfamiliar neural firing pattern in the optic nerve?

I guess the issue of blind people "seeing" color would be a matter of interpretation. In the outside world, color is defined by wavelength. In our own perception, color is defined by specific neural firing patterns along the optic nerve. I doubt the pattern is the same for everybody. So I suppose if you want to define "any" firing pattern as a color, then yes, blind people would see color. But I doubt the brain's interpretation of it is anywhere remotely similar to yours or mine, since they have nothing to associate the input to.

However, I imagine that with a lack of constant stimulus the optic nerve ceases to function, even in those with damaged retinas but intact optical nerves. With little or no firing patterns for the brain to interpret, you certainly couldn't argue that a blind person has the sensation of color.

250exen
09-09-2004, 05:17 PM
man we got some smart people at this place...
anyway, wilkin has a good point. do blind people have dreams? i have never thought about this paticular thing, but i have thought about the whole space thing and colorthing. but ive had the same thing happen to me, all my friends are like, dude, your weird. ahah anyway, thats a very good question.

i got another question,
do you think we are the only things in space, or do you think therre are other "creatures"
kinda makes you go hmmmm.....

allmixedup047
09-09-2004, 07:32 PM
my reasoning and explination for you being on the debate team is the mear observation that you debate almost every time you post.:blah: peoples theories are what they grasp in concept on a certain topic, and there is no need for you to put down someone else for there theory. like bad habits post on the 250r, he was clearly stating a fact that most of us know but was past up in your logic on saying that honda will never make a quad like they did on the 250r. but in fact the 250r was in dead last place in its division with the lt250 and the tecate. you obviously took offense to this post and had to come back with one talking bad about him.. asking him if he thought that the specs dont mean anything as long as it performs well.. well what do specs matter if when the hammer drops the quad is in the lead pack with all the others if not out front? like he said before, i ride a quad, not a piece of paper.
and as far as you being a nerd, i dont know you well enough to make that assumption but just from your post, i would have to go with a big hell yeah.:blah: :blah: :blah: .j/k dont take offense to this!:macho

kicken250x
09-09-2004, 08:15 PM
with the whole space thing...what if...what if there are other universes parallel or perpendicular (backwards) to our own? like...if there were other universes that everything happened just as they do here...like...there was some 16 year old kid sitting in stupid *** homied out ecko pants (i stole em from my bro hah) infront of his computer typing the exact same thing that i am...or if there was some world that did everything backwards...they cut lights on when they left the room and cut them off when they came in so they could see...they took showers with cloths on and took them off when they got out..."space" is so large and open there could be any multitude of inteligent life out there...or just life period. if there is inteligent life..how long will it take us to discover it? and if they discover us first will they inflict harm? if the US is the first to discover this other life will we do like we have on our own planet and try to police the whole thing...:rolleyes:

the blind guy thing...thats a good one there wilkins...

400ex28
09-09-2004, 09:26 PM
:eek:

DUDE this thead is awsome :blah:

SGA
09-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Wow, great thread! Wilkin is THE man!
Ok, back to explaining red or blue to a blind person. I suppose you could have them feel warm water, that would be orange, then some hot water, that would be red. The same goes for cool water, white. Cold water, blue. Just a idea I got reading this thread.

Also makes me think of a saying:
Tell a man there are 11 trillion stars in the universe, he will believe you. Tell him there is wet paint on something, he will have to check to believe you.

Which brings up another question. Why if there is a wet paint sign, we have to touch the paint to see how wet it is? We all have done it. :D

310Rduner
09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
my reasoning and explination for you being on the debate team is the mear observation that you debate almost every time you post.:blah: peoples theories are what they grasp in concept on a certain topic, and there is no need for you to put down someone else for there theory. like bad habits post on the 250r, he was clearly stating a fact that most of us know but was past up in your logic on saying that honda will never make a quad like they did on the 250r. but in fact the 250r was in dead last place in its division with the lt250 and the tecate. you obviously took offense to this post and had to come back with one talking bad about him.. asking him if he thought that the specs dont mean anything as long as it performs well.. well what do specs matter if when the hammer drops the quad is in the lead pack with all the others if not out front? like he said before, i ride a quad, not a piece of paper.
and as far as you being a nerd, i dont know you well enough to make that assumption but just from your post, i would have to go with a big hell yeah.:blah: :blah: :blah: .j/k dont take offense to this!:macho

Lol. I never made a personal attack at him, just his opinions. Only name calling I did was when I was being sarcastic and called that one guy a pink0-commie-scum. Also.. I wouldn't say I took any offense at what he said I simply disagreed. If I seem to debate everything that is said, maybe I simply disagree?? Also, I intended the comment on the specs to mean that they should still strive to improve, regardless of how well it performs inspite of numbers (like their dbikes for example)
Yeah, the 250R is down in numbers, but there also is not a version it was based on that was up in numbers or performance in comparison. In fact, they continued to improve on the 250R EVERY year it was built. Redesigned linkage,shock length, swing-arm differences from 86-87 to 88/89, clutch updates, gearing changes, piston/rod/crank changes, plastics, -1swinger and +1 arms. Where's the list of design improvements for the 400ex? I also think it's pretty stupid to have detuned the trx450R, it's still a great platform for production, but when you compare it to even a crf in a 400ex conversion frame it's down on power; I like the yfz, and I like the 450r to certain degrees though. I just feel that honda sold themselves short on the 450R and they give us no reason as to why. A mostly unrelated opinion I have... but the 400ex has always been a 'bland' bike imo.. no real styling that jumps out at me.. no real edge in performance that stands out. It just fills all the basics very well, and is uber reliable. Just takes a ton of money to make the motor the least bit exciting for anything but the tightest trails.

In Sum, I'm saying we should be as demanding of improvements in atv design as others are in demanding improvement in the dirtbikes. That's all I want them to do. Give us the same effort as the dirtbikes, which we haven't had since 1989.

(Read more of my posts... I think you're starting to misinterpret how I am in the majority of my posts)

allmixedup047
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
but the 400ex has always been a 'bland' bike imo.. no real styling that jumps out at me.. no real edge in performance that stands out. It just fills all the basics very well, and is uber reliable.

Yes, I agree with you on that one. The 400ex never had the ripping power or gobs of torque. bad habit has around 12k in his EX and my totaly stock R could pull on him. I do think that honda got what they wanted out of the 400ex.. it sold.. and it kept a good name for its self, it was a good base for a pro level quad. They made a big mistake on the new one by putting the tag at $5,700. maybe next year for the 450r they will put the hrc cam in it, open up the exhaust a little more, make the head a little more free flowing. i think the HRC kit was just a gig to make extra money for them and it did. but now i think they should just put it in the quad right out of the box.:cool:

wilkin250r
09-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Which brings up another question. Why if there is a wet paint sign, we have to touch the paint to see how wet it is? We all have done it. :D

Not me. I hate having colored fingertips.

But along the same lines, when you hold open a door for someone, why do they reach out and touch the handle as they pass by? Are they afraid you're going to suddenly hit them in the face with the door?

Bad Habit
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
bad habit has around 12k in his EX and my totaly stock R could pull on him.

Not totally stock, it has the HRC cam ;)

And I seem to remember when the two of us ran against your buddy with the Z400. Yes you got the jump, but what was that red and yellow flash that went by you? :devil:

Remember, not all of that money is in the motor, I'll still whoop your *** in the trails :macho

310Rduner
09-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Yes, I agree with you on that one. The 400ex never had the ripping power or gobs of torque. bad habit has around 12k in his EX and my totaly stock R could pull on him. I do think that honda got what they wanted out of the 400ex.. it sold.. and it kept a good name for its self, it was a good base for a pro level quad. They made a big mistake on the new one by putting the tag at $5,700. maybe next year for the 450r they will put the hrc cam in it, open up the exhaust a little more, make the head a little more free flowing. i think the HRC kit was just a gig to make extra money for them and it did. but now i think they should just put it in the quad right out of the box.:cool:

That would be a good step from honda with the 450R. The ONLY purpose the 400ex fills now (it always filled this spot best) is as a trail bike. It is nowhere near as viable in anything but trail riding when compared to the yfz or 450R for $1000 more. I say trail riding because the bike is mild, its extremely reliable.. and for most trail riders it isn't as demanding on the bike in general(I'm not talking pro gncc trails).

allmixedup047
09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
And I seem to remember when the two of us ran against your buddy with the Z400. Yes you got the jump, but what was that red and yellow flash that went by you?
yeah your right. i have a 13t front srocket and my quad tops the charts at 69.9mph, yours hits like 82..:rolleyes: and as for the trails, that was my first time in the dunes when you guys lost me. i remember the second time you never lost me .;)

Bad Habit
09-10-2004, 01:00 PM
i remember the second time you never lost me .;)

The second time I forgot that I had more than first gear. :D

kicken250x
09-10-2004, 03:38 PM
no hijacking my thread, ***!:D

i never expected this thread to get this big tho i hoped it would for lack of interesting threads here lately...people talking about candy and chit...thats not cool...even tho sour gummy worms are the best...

its just human nature to test things. kids like to see how far they can push their parents as well as other kids befor they get mad and go off. its like that commercial that has all the people doing the obvious things, the guy walks up and touches the paint where there is a wet paint sign, the button that says do not push, on MADTV the other day there was one and a chinese guy walked out and kicked him in the go-nads. its just how we are. if a waitor hands us a plate and says "be careful, its hot." we have to touch it and see for ourself. like SGA said, were all guilty of it and if not the spacific things mentioned then i can guarantee there is something along those lines that youve done.

Fuchs105
09-10-2004, 04:14 PM
pass the bong this way

kicken250x
09-10-2004, 11:56 PM
if we found a way to harness thought in something other than a human mind could we possibly do anything we wanted? could our wildest childhood dreams come true? like...a time machine of sort.. but if we did find a way to break the cycle of time and return to the past, what would happen? would we all be standing here and just go to somehwere else? would we know it/remember it? its been said that time travel is possible, i think its just a matter of time befor it is perfected...but if they do perfect it, and they decide to go back in time...what would happen to us? if they go back and talk to like...ben franklin or something...he migh decide not to go out with his kite and discover the great wonder of electricity....then what...?:confused:

SGA
09-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Time travel! Cool stuff.

If you went back in time and killed your grandfather or your father before he had you, would you have even been born?
Would you just vanish when you go back to your own time?
Does the refrigerator light really go off when you shut the door?

trx440
09-11-2004, 12:43 AM
how do we know that blind people have concept of black. they dont know dark or light. im talking about all the way completely blind people. like maybe even no eyes. i was just wondering, they might not see anything. and as far as colors, they have different shades and brightnesses, but the dark colors would be hard to tell apart.

Scientifically, black is the complete absence of light, therefore the complete absence of color. If that is true, then a blind person does understand the concept of black.

There is a way to prove what one person sees as red is the same as what another person sees as red [and blue and so on]
Say you test 100 people and show them various colors, you then filter the light so that red doesn't show up, then blue, then so on and so forth. If someone sees a color that the vast majority of the control group cannot they have such a condition. I do not know the exact percentage of how many people see colors the same but it is almost 100%. This differs from colorblindness as you can test for that in normal lighting with the use of red/green eye charts.

450Racer
09-11-2004, 04:02 PM
i know exactly what you mean!!! as Mouse from the Matrix says, "how do we know what tasty wheat takes like. the machines made it. maybe they got it wrong. why does everything taste like chicken anyway? how do we know what tasty wheat tastes like if the machines never tasted it. maybe they got it wrong." lol

kicken250x
09-11-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Does the refrigerator light really go off when you shut the door?

yea it does dog! i know! i put my video camera in my aunts frig in the motorin home because i was so confused, i couldnt figure how it cut off when the door was closed but i came to the conclusion that it does haha

i thought more on this time travel thing today and i dont think it would be possible to go back intime and kill your father or his grandfather. if you some how did how would u have ever gotten to now to go to then to kill him. something would have to go wrong and prevent it from happening. i think you could potentially alter the past but not actually change it. like now, we could be expirencing influance from the future via time travelers just there is no way for us to know it because they cant tell us, and they cant do anything to us. for all this to be possible we first have to be able to travel to the past, to travel to the past you have to travel faster than the speed of light. YOU YOURSELF i dont believe can travel faster than the speed of light, but from other peoples preception you could and would potentialy disappear. the reason being is you see light from YOUR eyes and the light around you is always going to be traveling at the 600 and some odd million MPH that it travels. in other peoples eyes tho you could disappear... possibly to another dimension. so you cant travel faster than the speed of light by the laws of physics... the only way to travel through the 4th dimension would be some sort of either artificial black hole or a real one. the only one possible would be an artificial hole where the density of the stars and gasses and space could be lessened. it is said that one tea spoon of mass from a black hole would weigh closely the same as the earth.

but with this built time machine would you only be able to travel back to the time it was turned on, or could you go to befor then? if humans have this so called "free will" would we loose all of it when time travel was possible? our lifes would be predetermined because we could go see what we were doing in 10 days or 10 years, and because people like to test things, would we try to change what we were told and would earths existance as we know it would be destroied?