PDA

View Full Version : what's needed for rebuild???

William400ex
09-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Alright my 2000 400ex is starting to smoke and is in need of a rebuild. What do you guys suggest. I want to fix this bike for mx so what cc's and cam would be best. In rebuilding what all will I need how much will the overall cost be???

thank William

yoshz400rider
09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
you can just do a basic rebuild if ur quad just needs rings or u can replace the piston and rebuild the whole motor it depends what type of money you want to spend your best beat for the 400 would be to get a 440 kit and you can change the cams out for hotcams there about 150 i think i dont know what the 440 kit cost around 450 i think i ride a z400 so not sure but if u put it in your self you will save a lot of money then if u take it to the shop. good luck

velocityatv
09-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Have your local machine shop poke it out to a 416 and throw a hotcam in it. Get with your machine shop and find out what piston options they have available to them ( I would suggest a wiseco ) Remember too high of comp. and you'll need to run race gas. For some people that alone is a lot of money in the long run especially if you do a lot of play riding AND racing. Stay with Hot cams camshafts, cause you won't have to hard face your rockers. The 416 is really reliable and more cost effective as far as price per horse power. You won't gain enough with a 440 kit to really notice, compared to a 416. Granted all the 440 guys will tell ya OH MY GOD MY 440 HAULS *****!!!!! But even ask the big builders, a well built 416 will hold it own with a 440. If interested call Joe's machine (402) 895-0183 he can get you rollin a lot cheaper than most people. Tell him Trent told ya to call

William400ex
09-07-2004, 07:56 PM
where can I buy all the parts for the 416 kit I have looked around a little online is their any site inparticular? I am starting to race mx so a stage 2 hotcam sould be the way to go right?? Will I need to get new crank bearings??? I

TC426EX
09-07-2004, 08:21 PM
only replace the crank bearings if there is play in them. Its a big mess to disassemble the crank, put it back together and have it balanced properly. If you dont have to do it, dont. For cheap MX mods I would go with a 426 and stage 2 hotcam and remove the choke from the stock carb. Youll also want to go with a full exhaust if youre only runnin a slip on. Later get it ported and polished as well and add a heavy duty clutch kit. For now you should be able to get the cylinder bored anywhere for between 30-50 bucks, grab a piston kit for say 100-150 depending what you go with, and about 120 for the hotcam. Gaskets should run around 25-30 bucks for a top end kit. Thatll get ya rollin. If you have a slip on put it up for auction or list it on here for sale and get a full exhaust... ALSO, and most important... if youre looking to get the most out of the kit you put in and go high on the compression, GET A HEAD STUD KIT for 90 bucks from east coast atv. You can choose to overlook this step if you want, but youll most likely end up blowing a ton of head gaskets like me and adding it later anyway. You wont regret doing it man, really...

400-416EX
09-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Not sure if you be interested in sending to connecticut. But the guys at extreme atv in norwich do killer motor work. They did my 416 with a port and polish hot cam and je piston and oh my god what a difference it made. There motor guy is not well know around the race industry outside connecticut, massachusetts, and Rhode Island. But he dows amazing work. He will be the only guy who touches motor. There # is 860-892-4033. Speak to mark. Tell him John told ya to call