PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil dip stick.......

2001400exrider
09-07-2004, 04:56 PM
ok, everytime i go to chek my ex's oil its like at the low mark...but i warm it up, take it for a hard ride and its back up there. im using amsoil fully synthetic 0w40. it did this before i swiotch to synthetic as well. were does all my oil go? its not burning oil, no smoke of any color and my plug is fine.....anyone got any suggestions to what it is?

derekhonda
09-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Im not real sure on this, but it sounds like you are using a very thick oil (didnt even know they made a 0w40) and it gets warm, and thins out, thus lowering your oil level. Might try going to like a 10-30 or 40. Dont have really insite on this but that is where i would start.

BuB400
09-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Check that little manual you got with your quad. Above 50 degrees fire up the quad and let it sit and idle for 5 minutes,shut it off and then check it. Below 50 let it run for 10 minutes and then check.

Woodsrider
09-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Wut he said/\
You're not supposed to check the oil cold, warm it up first then check it. ;)

2001400exrider
09-08-2004, 03:59 PM
k i did that and its still only says about half or so way up the stick...should i make it full to the upper line?

remlapr
09-08-2004, 04:19 PM
yes, but make sure it's been sitting idling without even blipping the throttle for several minutes. When you hit the throttle it sucks the oil into the case and the level in the tank will appear low.

2001400exrider
09-08-2004, 04:26 PM
ok because there is ZERO signs of it buring oil.......

YZ400EX
09-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Well with amsoil it is designed to basically attach itself to all the moving objects in the engine and stay there for the best possible lubrication so at no time are the parts without oil..so when you check your oil after it has been ridden all of the oil will still be attached to the bearings and in the head and stuff like that..where it is supposed to be..The recommended time to check your oil when using amsoil is after the bike has been sitting overnight or after a few hours..enough time for the oil to slowly drain back to where it all started from. I know this is not what everyone will agree with but this will give you the most accurate reading as to how much oil you will have. check it cold, then warm it for like 5 minutes at idle and add oil accordingly. then you will have correct amnt of oil that the engine needs when it is running. After that it will seem high when cold, but after it is warmed up then it will read correctly.

cals400ex
09-25-2004, 01:57 AM
the 400ex's are known to use a little bit of oil, even if you can't see it. most of the time the problems go away when you go to a little thicker oil. i didn't have any problems when i switched to 15-50 mobil 1.

Meeso
09-26-2004, 09:24 AM
It is a dry sump motor so that means all the oil is trying to get scavenged to the tank as soon as it hits the low point in the engine case and can get to the scavenge pump intake. You are measuring the amount in the "oil tank" really, not in the whole motor and to get the right reading, you want the smallest amount in the motor, oil cooler, hoses, etc.
Warm the motor up for at least 5-10 minutes (as long as your sure you have oil in it) then let it sit and idle for a good 5 minutes as the last thing you do before checking the stick. Finally shut off the bike and check the stick. This will make sure that 1. your oil is warmed up and 2. your scavenge pump has picked up as much oil as possible and put it back into the tank. Hope that helps.