PDA

View Full Version : 440 kit install insructions

deogey
09-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have a detailed build up of a 400ex to a 440??

I did a search but really didn't see what i was looking for....

i bought the kit a while ago, but i'm not sure if i should just send it and the motor to the local guy for the rebuild or if i should tackle everything except the machine work myself. was just looking for a step by step how to....

also what else should i do? So far i have a bone stock 99 400ex, i don't want to lose the reliablity of that by going to a big bore kit (another reason why i haven't installed it yet)

I heard that i should go to a big bolt kit for the jug. and heavier springs with a stage 1 hot cam... I'd like to keep the pipe quiet or even use the stock one if i can... here in CT there is NO legal riding so i try to be as stealth as possible....

any other suggestions?

TIA

cals400ex
09-07-2004, 10:05 PM
i would just do a .040 over (406) or a .080 over (416). with these and a cam, you will notice a nice gain even with a stock exhaust. yes, the exhaust will be holding you back but you will have somewhat of a sleeper with stock exhaust. i wouldn't mess with a new sleeve with that 440. just take the whole cylinder off and have the sleeve bored to a 406 or 416. bring the shop the piston and cylinder so they can match the rings to the sleeve. i would do the work your self if you have a service manual.