PDA

View Full Version : The Long Oil Bolt!!!

KingKash420
09-07-2004, 01:59 PM
hey i have a question for you guys i stripped the tread that accepts the long oil bolt

do i need to tape it all the way back where it normally goes or can i tap a new tread closer to the front cover like the shorter bolt?

the reason i ask is because a freind of mine told me the long bolt is long for a reason and the metal towards the front near the oil filter cover has a different (and weaker) tolerance then the metal closer to the back

what do you guys think?

09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
i think your friends right...how did this happen? did you overtighten? I would definately try to get that end of the bolt out of there

KingKash420
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
thanks for the reply but you are mis understanding what happened

the bolt is 100% in tact and has full tread its the hole the bolt goes into that is messed up

infact after the bolt popped out i noticed a full tread was still attached!

09-07-2004, 03:26 PM
u may hav to splitthe cases & go in from the other side to rethread..i know it would be difficult to rethread it without splitting the cases b/c the threads dont start untill inside & its smooth before then

KingKash420
09-07-2004, 05:01 PM
u an a novice mechanic and i highly doubt that i could handle that task do i have any other options?

250rider
09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
put in a helicoil

toby400ex
09-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by KingKash420
hey i have a question for you guys i stripped the tread that accepts the long oil bolt

do i need to tape it all the way back where it normally goes or can i tap a new tread closer to the front cover like the shorter bolt?

the reason i ask is because a freind of mine told me the long bolt is long for a reason and the metal towards the front near the oil filter cover has a different (and weaker) tolerance then the metal closer to the back

what do you guys think? Dont tape anything use super glue (crazy glue) and skit skit to hold er in gooder.

K_Fulk
09-08-2004, 09:39 AM
You need to have it all the way in beacuse it bot only holds the filter cover on it also keeps pressure on the side case. Just take it somewhere and get it heliocoiled. I just had this problem last winter and its an easy fix.