PDA

View Full Version : First sand ride

Cannon
04-08-2002, 05:24 PM
I am going to Little Sahara for the first time Thursday the 11th. I will be going with son-in-law and brother- none of us been there before.
I have a 02' 400 EX. I have added WB slip-on K&N filter / jet kit, took off the airbox lid, shock covers, e-brake block off & WB rev box. Prettied it up with F.Eff.graphics & seat cover.Stock spockets & front tires / rims. I have a pair of borrowed 8 paddle sand tires, sand shark straight paddle I think, on ITP 10" rims. Is there any advice for a first timer down there anyone could offer? Is the stock gearing OK for getting me around or is there a set up you like that works best for you on these EX's? What about chain lube, will I need to clean & make sure I don't have a sand magnet back there?
My 400 runs great here at home, but we've never been in the sand. Going to try and attach a picture. Apreaciate your advice.
Cannon

Cannon
04-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Picture make it?
Thanks all

CBW
04-08-2002, 05:53 PM
i think youll love it.........my first sand ride was in oregon,,,,,,,,,,,it was great,,,,,,and i jetted back to sea level before i left. I ran maxima chain wax like i do here with no problem, but somebody with more sand experiance might know of something better....have a blast.........:cool:,,,,,,,oh yeah i forgot to mention we ran the 400ex with stock everything.......no problems.....

2qk4u
04-08-2002, 09:29 PM
where at in kansas are you located at. we just went there saturday and had a blast. might be going back this weekend, but not for sure yet. you may want to run your bike with the air box lid on. I also havent been running any chain lube due to the sand will stick to your chain. just my 2 cents

generalg
04-08-2002, 10:44 PM
You will LOVE Little Sahara. You may have to rejet the bike as that is what I had to do the first time I had the 400 in the sand. It was getting way to much fuel, had to go down to a 160 main jet. I will be going in 2 weeks again.

WyoDuner
04-09-2002, 01:02 PM
First advice is have fun. I've never been to L.S. OK but I don't think it has the razorbacks and drop-offs like the larger dunes. If it does be careful because these are killers.

As far as chain lube goes, I use chain wax. Yes some sand will stick to it but running dry is a bad idea too. Sand and chains don't mix well and there's no way around it. Don't worry, it takes a whole season of dune riding to wear out a chain.

The paddles you got ound good. More than 8 paddles would be too much. I don't know about hthe 400ex but I gear my machines down in the sand. The sand takes a lot of power away.

Get a outerwear for your K&N or it will pack up with sand in the first 30 minutes. This is mandatory.

That's about it except remember this: When in the sand, if in doubt gas it.

R-Crazy
04-09-2002, 10:47 PM
have a blast. you will love it. I run Bel-Ray chain lube. sand stuck to it, but that is why we have a hose.

dave

Deathbringer
04-10-2002, 12:06 PM
I ride the dunes all the time and the best single piece of advice I could give would be to learn the area before you go balls out. There are a lot of drop offs and unexpected things around turns.
Any kind of chainwax is better then none, but you will still have to clean up after the ride.
You will have so much fun that it will probably ruin it for anywhere else you will ride.

PDunes300ex
04-10-2002, 04:25 PM
Never been outside Ca but Pismo keeps me happy. Use chain lube and just let it dry. The sand sticks to it but when you get home take some simple green and give it a once over. OUTERWEARS for your filter is an absolute must. Also make sure you give it a good cleaning when you get done cause you will be amazed at how sand can get absolutely everywhere. Have fun!:D

brokenbones
04-10-2002, 07:32 PM
the only advice that i can give is lube the chain as suggested by the others look where you are going there are alot of drop offs ive broken many and i mean many bones in florence the last thing is if you rejet make sure you have a good fit on the carb boot and a tight clamp or friends went through a brand new motor by sucking sand in the carb boot two weeks ago at winchester

you will have a blast
broken bones
new baby at home and the toys are still in the garage

R-Crazy
04-11-2002, 04:53 PM
congrats with the baby, brokenbones!

dave

Sparkles
05-01-2002, 12:46 PM
ur bikes pretty sweet

tryken
05-02-2002, 04:53 AM
You definitly need to eat at the German restaurant in Waynoka. I can't remember the name of it but it is pretty good.