PDA

View Full Version : alignment issues..help please

rap169
09-06-2004, 06:19 PM
ok, im having trouble getting my front end aligned properly. I have two new tie rods, so that is not the prtoblem. IF i screw both rods in the same distance ( measuring between the ball joints) the one tire sits perfectly strait while the other is toed in. Shouldnt they be equal? I cant figure out why its like this. Is the steering stem bent? It looks ok. CAn somebody take a measurment for me on the length of the tie rod between the lock nuts or the tie rod ends?
Or give me some tips to getting this aligned properly

BSTURDIVANT
09-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Don't be concerned about lengths of tie rods! just make sure handlebars are straight (measure from outside edge of grip to outer tips of rear fender. Once found to measure the same, have someone hold in place and duct tape each side back to fender. This will hold in place while you adjust tie rods. Adjust each side untill both are straight foreward, then toe in the front 1/8" on each side. Measure center of tires front and back- should be 1/4 longer in rear.

rap169
09-07-2004, 09:38 AM
ok ill try that today and see if it tracks strait, and go from there

Shawn H
09-07-2004, 12:32 PM
I seem to have to realign my front end after every race. lol

Jump up and down on the bumper to get the shocks in a nuetral position.

Then:

I take 2 blocks of wood and a long 2x4 and line it from the edge of rear tire to the front edges of the front tire make sure its long to go across both tires and adjust fronts so they both touch the 2x4.

works everytime perfect.