PDA

View Full Version : Which to build?

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Alright, so I'm looking to sell my R for about 6k (high value in Cali here) and using about 1k to buy a cheap car to last for a year. I will have about 5k left over roughly and am looking to buy a full on rolling chassis. However.. I've got a couple different ideas floating in my head.

First, i'll be investing about 16k or so total over the course of a year or so. It will be full on aftermarket as much as is possible.

First idea I have is to buy a Jrd national Mx chassis for 7k, with swinger, flip top, swinger, tie rod ends, spindles, radiator/shrouds, anti vib stem, and choice of mounts for crf450, yz426, yfz450, OR 250R. It uses a ton of 250R components, and some 400ex components for the front hubs and tie rods. If I go this route, I will drop in a yz motor most likely so I can save a few K over building the R motor the way I want. I would work to build an R motor after completing the bike, so as to have 2 motors to run in the same bike. I like this also because of the abundancy of R components on it like the plastics and such.

Second idea I have is to buy an already completed full on racer, with whatever combinations I can find to be the best. On ******** there are laeger protrax chassis for sale for like 5k. Or complete yz440's to buy for like $8500-$10,000, many of them using protrax front ends. I could do this like 5-6 months faster than building it, and just part out pieces I don't want.

Only complaint about option 2 is I would not be able to build an R motor to place in the same chassis. I'm still in love with the R motor, I just happen to really like the yz motor as well.

So, are any of the other aftermarket frames I may run into for s ale that are compatible with the yz and 250R motor by changing engine mounts, and a few brackets? What would be the best chassis to look for to use with the yz motors?

09-06-2004, 02:54 PM
i would buy a YFZ or TRX450r already modded used

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i would buy a YFZ or TRX450r already modded used

No.

I don't like the feel of either bikes compared to the chassis on my R. That is why I am going for aftermarket chassis's.. they are all R geometry. The yfz450 just feels off to me. Like the motor.. but the handling and ergo's aren't right to me. I don't like many of the things about the trx450, except the potential and design in the motor. It screams mild to me. I would buy a yfz but for almost that price I could just buy a better 8k fully aftermarket 426 with a pro-trax front end. Also, I want this to be My bike... not someone elses.

I'm waiting on Walsh to call me back with a full price break down on their crf chassis with all the components they make.

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I talked with Walsh for like 30mins today, and it looks like I'm going to go with building a walsh crf. Every single component they have for their crf chassis can be had for 7k, which is a hell of a deal in my opinion. There is a 3 month wait right now, and I'm going to be placing the order as soon as I get my R sold. I should be able to have it finished within 6-9 months of placing the order, hopefully sooner. Looking for Tc built crf motors right now. According to walsh, and most other people I have talked to the crf engines make about 50hp stock, and modified easily push 60+. Looking forward to buildin this one...:devil:

416exmx
09-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
No.

I don't like the feel of either bikes compared to the chassis on my R. That is why I am going for aftermarket chassis's.. they are all R geometry. The yfz450 just feels off to me. Like the motor.. but the handling and ergo's aren't right to me. I don't like many of the things about the trx450, except the potential and design in the motor. It screams mild to me. I would buy a yfz but for almost that price I could just buy a better 8k fully aftermarket 426 with a pro-trax front end. Also, I want this to be My bike... not someone elses.

I'm waiting on Walsh to call me back with a full price break down on their crf chassis with all the components they make.

WOW!!! finally someone that agrees with me. you will LOVE a CRF powered quad and you can customize them tons more. imo all yfz and trx's look the same. hybird quads rock... just be prepared to loose your *** when you sell it. but if any of the hybirds will hold their value better, it ought to be a Walsh CRF...
oh yeah, i pm'd you back with what you ask me.

SRH
09-06-2004, 08:58 PM
haha you might as well light your money on fire and through it in the garbage....not that the performance is a waste but youll never get any money back out of that if you ever go to sell that ull take a huge loss...if u can sell it.....and no matter what you figure it will take to build a crf from the ground add another 1-2000 because ull realize you need a bunch of small stuff that will all add up....even if you think oh im getting a chassis for 7k....add another 7 at least before your done......you can build a pretty nice yfz or 450r for that much and if u got in a jam and had to sell u could without a big loss, and they go just as good, if your worrying about a uncomfortable seat or something i wouldnt even considering getting racing in your head....you like the r handling because your used to it, i liked my 400ex handling because i was use to it now that ive had my yfz for a year i realize how much better a yfz handles...i almost built a crf...im glad i didnt, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt love to have one besides my yfz im just saying id put alot of thought into it and have a motor befor eyou buy a frame...there is alos alot of headaches you will run into along the way...do some research on the motors too...

SRH
09-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I talked with Walsh for like 30mins today, and it looks like I'm going to go with building a walsh crf. Every single component they have for their crf chassis can be had for 7k, which is a hell of a deal in my opinion. There is a 3 month wait right now, and I'm going to be placing the order as soon as I get my R sold. I should be able to have it finished within 6-9 months of placing the order, hopefully sooner. Looking for Tc built crf motors right now. According to walsh, and most other people I have talked to the crf engines make about 50hp stock, and modified easily push 60+. Looking forward to buildin this one...:devil:

kablam

Chef
09-06-2004, 09:35 PM
SRH, its not that bad. I have done it and going to do it again. This time the emphasis will be on chrome and handling more than motor, but I am doing it.

Brandon....what color should my walsh be...chrome? :eek:

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by SRH
haha you might as well light your money on fire and through it in the garbage....not that the performance is a waste but youll never get any money back out of that if you ever go to sell that ull take a huge loss...if u can sell it.....and no matter what you figure it will take to build a crf from the ground add another 1-2000 because ull realize you need a bunch of small stuff that will all add up....even if you think oh im getting a chassis for 7k....add another 7 at least before your done......you can build a pretty nice yfz or 450r for that much and if u got in a jam and had to sell u could without a big loss, and they go just as good, if your worrying about a uncomfortable seat or something i wouldnt even considering getting racing in your head....you like the r handling because your used to it, i liked my 400ex handling because i was use to it now that ive had my yfz for a year i realize how much better a yfz handles...i almost built a crf...im glad i didnt, but that doesnt mean i wouldnt love to have one besides my yfz im just saying id put alot of thought into it and have a motor befor eyou buy a frame...there is alos alot of headaches you will run into along the way...do some research on the motors too...

Why, would I pay 7k for the stock bike. Take everything of it except the frame and motor and replace it with aftermarket instead of building full on aftermarket, and in a configuration I will like from the START. They would work out to both be about 16k+ when fully built. Especially when you have to pump in all of that money into the motor to make it even respectable when placed against the dirtbike version. The crf dirtbike makes over 10hp more than the trx motor. When all would be said and done, 14k for a yzf based quad is still going to be short of what I want. It still has a sh*tty stock frame, disadvantage in the motor department, and the ergonomics would still not be satisfactory.

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Chef
SRH, its not that bad. I have done it and going to do it again. This time the emphasis will be on chrome and handling more than motor, but I am doing it.

Brandon....what color should my walsh be...chrome? :eek:

Any color but mine:o Or.. maybe we should make them twins with small color variations. :macho

JUSTINcredible
09-06-2004, 10:09 PM
you kno you are really dedicated to the sport when your quad is worth more than your car:)

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
you kno you are really dedicated to the sport when your quad is worth more than your car:)

What car :eek2:

When I sell my R (to finance the chassis) I'm going to use like $500 to buy some cheap pos that will last a year til I finish the crf and can buy my Eddie Bauer bronco:macho

Well.. there is the 56 Chevy Bel Air of mine sitting in the driveway.. so for now my car is worth more. But the 12k it will take to finish the paint and interior.. I guess it will be worth more than the crf by about 10K.:D

Bush0102
09-06-2004, 10:59 PM
That is why I am going for aftermarket chassis's.. they are all R geometry.

the 450R's chassis has the same geometry as the 250R.

racerx573
09-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102

Yeah and stock for stock, they both suck, which is why I run aftermarket.... STOCK LINK on either 250 or 450 R SUCKS. Bottom line...

CR500, CRF, and YZ linkages claim ownership of any stock Honda quad linkage. At least the YFZ has a YZ based link... why can't Honda get it through their thick heads that if it works on a dirt bike, it will work just as good on a quad... guys like Mark Laeger and Mike Walsh realized it... why can't these freakin engineers put 2 and 2 together, and realize the AFTERMARKET WORKS. because we build what we WANT.

310Rduner
09-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102

Read the other reasons I gave as well. It's about the feel of the bike. To me.. the yfz, and trx bikes feel bland in the ergo's, because I am so used to the R. I can feel it when I ride them, and I do not like it. When the walsh bike is built it will feel like I'm sitting on an R but tricked out to the n'th degree.

SRH
09-07-2004, 03:49 PM
250r and 400ex seating is really lazy, more comfy for trail riding than for mx, feels like im sitting on couch cushions its way hard to move around on the seat and stuff...

the reason i say its dumb is because if you think your going to get the 14k-16k back out of a crf your smoking crack, anyone willing to fork out that much cash for a quad has to be serious about racing and if your serious about racing your riding a z 400, yfz, or 450r

racerx573
09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Only reason to go production is if you're going pro, other than that, a hybrid will get you around the track much faster.

310Rduner
09-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by SRH
250r and 400ex seating is really lazy, more comfy for trail riding than for mx, feels like im sitting on couch cushions its way hard to move around on the seat and stuff...

the reason i say its dumb is because if you think your going to get the 14k-16k back out of a crf your smoking crack, anyone willing to fork out that much cash for a quad has to be serious about racing and if your serious about racing your riding a z 400, yfz, or 450r

Really huh?? Soo.. why is it then, that Walsh is having better sales than they had before news of the trx450, and yfz450 came out? Their sales slumped for a couple months up until the 450R, and yfz450 came out.. and went immediately up and higher than before. Perhaps... maybe people saw the trx and yfz and realized it wasn't worth their money or the hype and built a full walsh quad they knew would perform top notch?

racerx573
09-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Lazy feeling....... LMFAO.... that's it for sure.

416exmx
09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
Only reason to go production is if you're going pro, other than that, a hybrid will get you around the track much faster.

yep, and 90% of the guys that buy factory quads because of the production rule, will never run pro production. i have said many times, production was a good step forward, but you cant beat the hybird quads. go to a gnc and look at the quads on the pro gate, 1 suzuki, few hondas, and a crap load of yammies. i think that is why everyone wants a YFZ because that is what 90% of the pros run. last year and the year before when CRF's and YZ's lined the pro gate, that is what everyone wanted then. and SRH, i bet if you had a hybird, you would be telling how good they were and how that was the one to have.

racerx573
09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I'll let ya'll know how my Laeger Sparks YZ426 turns out... let ya know how lazy it is.. and inferior to production bikes...

(catch the sarcasm)...

310Rduner
09-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
I'll let ya'll know how my Laeger Sparks YZ426 turns out... let ya know how lazy it is.. and inferior to production bikes...

(catch the sarcasm)...

Heh. I think the same will go for my Walsh crf or walsh ktm520 when It's finished:blah:

Chef
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Heh. I think the same will go for my Walsh crf or walsh ktm520 when It's finished:blah:

Either way you go, I'm gonna have atleast 100cc's on you.

The 250R is lazy feeling? LMAO. You never cease to amaze me with your lack of knowledge and experience.