PDA

View Full Version : draining my 400ex

finally400
09-06-2004, 12:08 PM
alright im gonna do my first oil change on my 400ex... keep in mind its a 1999 so its not the very first change.. lol.. but its mine... so i have a few questions.. how many places do i have to drain the oil from.. it looks like i drain it from the case.. and the oil tank.. anywhere else.. and as far as synthetic oil.. im looking at rotella T synthetic.. is that alright.. and also from other posts it says the 400 only takes 2 quarts? hows that possible.. and also where do i put the oil in... thanks for any help.. i feel like such a newbie right now.. i guess i am.. lol

thanks alot guys

TC426EX
09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
well, you are correct. You need to drain the oil from 2 different areas on the 400. Remove the 14mm bolt from the bottom of the oil tank and let er drip. Then on the left side of the case below the shift lever there is a bolt (12mm I think) that drains it out the side. After that youre done. The 400ex does only take 2 quarts, but its actually a touch more like 2.2 or 3 so put 2 quarts and then just a splash and you should be cool. When you put the oil back in dump it in the oil tank. Dont forget to change your oil filter too. Its inside the small circle on the right clutch cover...

finally400
09-06-2004, 12:25 PM
so i dont have to drain the oil tank? and where do i put the oil in the oil tank to fill it up? as far as synthetic oil.. is rotella T ok?

09-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by finally400
so i dont have to drain the oil tank? and where do i put the oil in the oil tank to fill it up? as far as synthetic oil.. is rotella T ok? yes..drain the oil tank first after engine is warmed up..then drain the crank...then put all the bolts back on & fill her up..i have heard that the SHELL rotella oil is good stuff but iv'e never used it before...i reccommend you go with mobile 1 red cap synthetic or amsoil...you are also changing you oil filter too right? if you have any problems AIM me at BlackNiggear450r