PDA

View Full Version : Starting to wonder about Honda

300exman
09-05-2004, 07:37 PM
My 300 is starting to be a real pain in the *****! Everytime I get something fixed, something else goes wrong. I NEED HELP. I search and search but can never find the stuff. Well I was riding my wheeler one day and it has a little less power but nothing to big so I kept on riding. Then every once in a while it would bog real bad like it wanted to die then it would be fine again. Then all of a sunden Bam! It boged like no other my quad slowed way down. It sounded like crap ( put..put..put) I gave it full throttle to see it I could pull it out of the bogg but it didn't help. I was moving like two miles an hour. The thing wouldn't idle or anything, i had to get towed home. I changed the gas, cleaned the carb, and checked spark. The only thing that I noticed is that when it ran it shot air out the carb. Is my timing off or what. Man This SUCKS!:mad:

PLEASE >>>PLEASE HELP!

TheFontMaster
09-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Try re-jetting. If it was the timing it would have been doing that all the time, I got the impresion that it doesn't always run so bad. It wouldn't hurt to check the timing though. Other than that I don;t know what it could be.

300exman
09-05-2004, 08:33 PM
would you know why its shooting air out the carb, is that normal, and should I jet it learner or richer

TheFontMaster
09-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 300exman
would you know why its shooting air out the carb, is that normal, and should I jet it learner or richer

I know thats not normal, and I'm not shure if you should jet it richer or leaner. I know other people on this site would know though.

smith_400ex_213
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
if its shootin air outa the carb i gotta be sumtin in the timin or sheared key somewere or suntin to that effect..cuz the car shoulda only suc in air...Just my thought

buddy what not
09-06-2004, 06:40 AM
hey it could be your valves are bad 300ex's are known to have bad intake valves thats just my thought

300exman
09-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the help....i was thinking it might be something along that line. is checking the key and the valves something easy to do myself of should I bring to a shop.....I just don't wanna pay a fortune.

abc
09-06-2004, 01:04 PM
its sounds like you got a airleak. My friend had one on his 250r and it bogged out and did the things yours was

cals400ex
09-06-2004, 04:58 PM
what mods do you have on the bike?? if any, did you rejet?? what jets did you replace if any?? check for air leaks too.

ewalker302
09-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Could be it's not getting enough fuel. Maybe check the fuel screen in the tank.

:bandit:

sparkplug300ex
09-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by buddy what not
hey it could be your valves are bad 300ex's are known to have bad intake valves thats just my thought

I agree that happened to me it was my valves they wernt seating good get new valves should fix the problem

300exman
09-11-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't think it would be the valves though because i just had the whole top end done like a couple of months ago and haven't rode it much since.

Florida400EX
09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
The intake valves might not be closing, letting air go in and out as it pleases. If that is the case, your quad should rev fine with the clutch engaged, or while in nuetral, but be dead on power while moving.

300exman
09-12-2004, 12:01 AM
it won't idle or rev good even with the clutch in. I'm thinking its the key . i started to take off the flywheel but i can't get the front bolt off that holds the flywheel on, the engine keeps cranking over even in gear with my cousin trying to hold the tires. You guys have any ideas on how to get that off without a impact wrench cause i don't have one.

Aceman
09-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Try putting a wrench or a ratchet on the flywheel bolt and banging the handle with a hammer. Once you get the bolt out your going to need a flywheel puller. You can use a specially made puller or you can just find a bolt, I think its 20mm x 1.5mm thread pitch and just screw that in the hole. You can buy the puller from your local dealer. It's about 10 bucks or you can buy a bolt for about 2 bucks.

Toadz400
09-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Check to make sure that your carb is all the way in the boot, on both sides and make sure that it is secured down tightly and there are no air leaks. My 400EX would do that when the carb wasn't on the boot all the way. Also, check to make sure your valves aren't messed up, then you could check the timing if that isn't it. Just go down the list, with the easiest things first. Just don't jump into the engine right away.

wilkin250r
09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
I doubt it's the key.

If your quad was running correctly one minute, and then running terrible the next, something happened. It's not just incorrect jetting, something broke. You might have had a valve going bad, or bad rings. But it's certainly not jetting.

To get the flywheel off, find the compression stroke. The upstroke when the exhaust valves are not open. Then get some brand new cotton string, fresh out of the package. Take the sparkplug out, and feed the cotton string into the cylinder leaving a small tail sticking out. Then, as you turn the flywheel nut, the piston will compress against the string and it won't allow it to get past TDC. It effectively locks the engine, and allows you to turn the nut.

You want fresh new string because you don't want to introduce dirt into your cylinder. Also, you want cotton string, becuase if a piece does come off, the cotton will just burn and disappear. Nylon will melt and stick to the cylinder wall and cause problems.

When the nut is loose, just rotate the crank backwards a tad, and pull the string out.

300ex13
09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
hope u get it fixed man...gotta go out there a ride!

Antnee77
09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Probably not it, but I figured "what the hell": did you properly break in the engine after rebuilding it???