PDA

View Full Version : Starting

Punk'd
09-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Call me stupid.. but everytime I line up with my friend to race and he says go I can never get going fast enough without it dieing? Any tips or anything? Thanks

PS: yes this is my first sport quad and first quad with a clutch:(

team_450_88
09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
wut gear are u taking off in? Try 1st gear and lean to the front so the rear tires spin and then when u get in 3rd get back on the seat to hook up...if u still cant take off...try slipping the clutch....jus a quick response but maybe it will help somehow

10secKing
09-05-2004, 09:31 PM
you know i had the same problem at first. i went to a 13 tooth sprocket cause it was a PIG till you got it goin. and try givin it more gas and EASING out on the clutch. definately try sprocket and then it will leave MUCH better!!!

Punk'd
09-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 10secKing
you know i had the same problem at first. i went to a 13 tooth sprocket cause it was a PIG till you got it goin. and try givin it more gas and EASING out on the clutch. definately try sprocket and then it will leave MUCH better!!!

Yea I tryed dropping a tooth and its better but maybe im just letting the clutch out to fast or sumthing.. Maybe I should lean forward n give it more gas.. hmm what do you guys think?

team_450_88
09-06-2004, 05:46 PM
lean forward,pull the clutch in put it in 1st, gas it till the limiter and then pope the clutch...lol maybe that will work.it should

kwatts400
09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
I like starting in second, lots of throttle with the clutch almost out, and then dump the clutch. I started doing that in the sand on my 250r, and it works pretty well on dirt with the 450r.

09-06-2004, 08:24 PM
if loose terrain start in second gear & give it alot of gas.....when the guy says "GO" let that clutch fly & hold on..if your on hardpack then first gear & do the same but lean forward & be ready to shift to second

WhiteZee
09-06-2004, 09:27 PM
try slipping the clutch.

team_450_88
09-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
if loose terrain start in second gear & give it alot of gas.....when the guy says "GO" let that clutch fly & hold on..if your on hardpack then first gear & do the same but lean forward & be ready to shift to second

Hey Mike,

I was just wondering idk if u got it backwards or thats wut you really meant...But I have a 450r and In loose,tilled up dirt i hook up better and cannot take of in 2nd so I am forced to take off in 1st and on hard packed dirt it dont hook up because its packed and not loose and I need to take off in 2nd.....Wut did u mean? or maybe the hardpacked im talking about is really hard and the loose is really deep like loretta lynns start after they worked it!!
Just wondering thats all !!

09-07-2004, 07:41 AM
hmmm...i dont know...i like to start in second in loose terrain b/c when I use 1st I spin out & am forced to shift while im still spinning...with second I still usually spin but when I get done spinning I can usually shift to the next gear which makes me go faster

MY450R
09-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Call me stupid.. but everytime I line up with my friend to race and he says go I can never get going fast enough without it dieing? Any tips or anything? Thanks

PS: yes this is my first sport quad and first quad with a clutch:(
what are you racing though

team_450_88
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
hmmm...i dont know...i like to start in second in loose terrain b/c when I use 1st I spin out & am forced to shift while im still spinning...with second I still usually spin but when I get done spinning I can usually shift to the next gear which makes me go faster

Hmmm idk...lol ....I guess everyone has there ways of taking off just go to practice and try different things ( punk'd )...At every track u need to do that because the terrain is different and u might need to start in either 1st or 2nd....

Punk'd
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
So just lean foward and gas it?:confused:

Antnee77
09-07-2004, 09:06 PM
I would ease off the clutch while simultaneously increasing throttle. Once the clutch is fully released, gun it! If done correctly, it will all happen fast and you'll be pretty good off the line.

BTW, you're not stalling it out off the line are you?

turboTony
09-07-2004, 09:10 PM
I'd just practice somewhere by yourself til you're used to the clutch. I think thats your whole problem right there....