PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problems

jsc
09-05-2004, 12:39 PM
I recently started riding a sport quad, so please overlook with my ignorance on this matter. I got a pair of AlpineStars Tech 6's and now I am having a hard time shifting. I have raised the shifter up 2 splines to clear my big foot/boot (size 12) but now I have to physically remove my foot from the peg to upshift and downshift. I do know that when the boot breaks in it will get a little easier, but wont shrink. I am looking for a shifter that possibly has a different bend, or maybe even one that is a little longer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Jeff

bobbo97f150
09-05-2004, 01:44 PM
It might just take some getting used to. I wear a size 10 riding boot and moved my shifter up one spline. I hated them at first but now don't even notice it. I don't think any of the aftermarket shifters have a different bend. I'm not positive though

Matt400ex_17
09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
If your using nerf bars or even if not my buddy is 6'5" and has a warrior and some company made him dropped peg mounts so that the nerf bars were 1" lower than what he got from AC not sure who did it or how much. ask like pappy or C&D or check a machine shop or welder see if he can rig ya soemthing

Syrus
09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Try some different riding positions ? i cant really think of much to help ya, just play around with different settings, and see how that feels, just takes some getting used too.

Sandgod4
09-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Riding w/ boots is very hard at first. You aren't used to the feeling you don't get when you try to bump the lever up. New boots are the worst and if you haven't ridden w/ boots it makes it twice as bad. You'll get used to it, but it will take a little time..

rowlrag
09-05-2004, 10:54 PM
I wear a 13 tech 6, shifter up 1 spline. Of all the boots I've owned, the tech 6 takes by far the longest to break in.
Try putting the shifter up 1 spline from level, and if you run nerfs cut out the net under the shifter that runs front to back. Inever have to remove my foot to shift no is the shifter to short, I do however almost always up shift by the insde of the sole of the boot, not my toes.

bigfoot300ex
09-06-2004, 05:40 PM
i wear size 16 alpinestars and after i broke them in i had no problem....i didnt even have to re-adjust the shifter

WhiteZee
09-06-2004, 09:45 PM
thats kind of weird, the first time i ever wore boots, i loved them. i have alpine star tech 6's and have never had any shifting problems. i think my shifter is 1 spline up from level.

MY450R
09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
wear slippers

QuadJunkies
09-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
wear slippers :rolleyes: