PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climbing?

Gordons Well
09-05-2004, 12:03 PM
If you were setting up a 400ex (or any other quad) for just
hill climbing (sand), would it be moded with low end or high end power?
Thanks.

plkmonster2
09-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Most people would set it up for high rpms. Remember that r's are your friend, especially when climbing. one problem with all high end is that if you happen to drop out of the power band, it could be all over in the time lost to shift. It it were me, I would Set it up to have all the high end possible, without losing too much low end.

R3Concepts
09-05-2004, 07:06 PM
For the dunes I would go for more bottom to mid, unless you are going to shoot the hill or do the sand drags all day long. The hill at Gordons Well, isnt all that steep so more top would be a good thing, but Patton is steeper so a bottom to mid would be better. If you want top end then go to a banshee for the dunes. Besides its more fun to dune all day long then it is to shoot the hill, but remember the dunes arent all about motor, its more about proper gearing.

Gordons Well
09-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks. I agree and thats where I ride the most. Pattons kicks my *****. I do ok at Test. But as you say just riding the dunes is the attraction. Especially the ride over the dunes from Test to Pattons.
Is it Holloween yet!

R3Concepts
09-06-2004, 02:35 PM
We should meet up on Halloween, Ill be out there with like 100 other people at Olgilby, itll be the maiden voyage for my 450R and I cant wait. Play with your gearing out there and let me know if I can help you out. My 426ex would pull our DS 650 Baja up Patton by 4 bikes. You should have seen the people trying to flag me down to see what was done to it. If memory serves I handed it to several raptors as well. Those are the best times.

Gordons Well
09-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks. So far I have a 426 piston, stage 1 cam, a Duncan Fat Boy Exhaust and a K&N. Just hope I chose the right cam. I have only rode it at a track since the mods. Looking forward to trying the dunes, Test and Pattons. Will be in touch as we get closer to Halloween.