PDA

View Full Version : top speed question about holding the throttle...

Jersey450R
09-05-2004, 07:54 AM
OK, i've been riding for years and years and gone through 2 and 4 strokes; seized them and blew up 80's like they were firecrackers. The question here is, how long can i hold the throttle open on my 450R? I mean, I know its a fourstroke and everything but you and I both know this quad SCREAMS and top speed. Should i be worried about blowing my quad up? When i ride and full speed for a length of time, i feather the gas quite a bit but i'm wondering how long i can just hold this 450 wide open. If anyone has had any problems due to this or blown up their quad, lemme know. Your comments and concerns are much appreciated. Thank you.

Shawn H
09-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Well during a race mine is held wide open most of the time with no problems.

How long do you intend on going
WOT? :confused: you'll be fine Im sure!

Jersey450R
09-05-2004, 09:02 AM
well i dont race but i'm just wondering if like, for say your going down the road wide open...

yz400fer69
09-05-2004, 10:12 AM
If you’re shifting through gears wide open you will be alright. If you are running 5th gear wide open and banging the rev limiter I would back off just a little bit or re gear to get you some more top speed. You probably wont blow it up (that is why they have the rev limiter set where it is at), but when you are in that high of RPM's your valves start to float and you will end up with head/valve problems soon.

Dave

Jersey450R
09-05-2004, 11:48 AM
what do you mean by the vlaves starting to "float"?

Syrus
09-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Holding it open at top speed wont hurt your bike, the rpms stop at a safe level, so holding it wide in 5th wont blow it up, or do anything wrong to your bike. I used to go all over the back roads 5th pinned everywhere for a long period of time, and it doesnt hurt the bike at all. Atleast none of the Honda's ive ridden redline in 5th gear enough to hurt the engine.

MY450R
09-07-2004, 09:16 AM
yeah jersey ive been wondering the same thing
5th gear WOT i mean it should hurt it
i did it once for like 30 seconds and when it hit the limiter i let off a little and i mean little and then WOT again
total time wot was about 25 seconds without letting off
maybe it was less than that but 20 seconds at least
am i wrecking my quad by doing this or what

turboTony
09-07-2004, 12:19 PM
where in MASS are you ^^^ from?

MY450R
09-07-2004, 12:50 PM
pittsfield mass
you?

09-07-2004, 02:38 PM
iv'e often wondered the same thing...my 400ex I would always hold pinned on the roads & i felt comfortable doing it b/c the engine was smooth...this 450r though on the road SCREAMS & makes me feel bad when I hold WOT...i usually get going really fast & then mellow out & then go faster again when I start to feel comfortable...I never really hold it down for over 20 seconds unless im testing my top speed