PDA

View Full Version : How's the reliability after mods??

Hondaistheshiz
09-03-2004, 09:06 PM
I am looking at a 250r right now. IF and WHEN I do buy it, I want to bore it to a 265 and do a mild port job to where I can still run pump gas. I want an LRD pipe and sliencer. Wil lthe bike still be semi-reliable?? If I take real good care of it, can I last with only a rebuild every year or so?? I am only 14, so I cant drop 100$ every time I want to go ride.
O yeah, with the mods I want to get, will I be able to beat a raptor,z400, and most other 4-strokes??
Thanks,
Danny

jokerman_28
09-03-2004, 10:32 PM
you can run pump gas with any kind of port job. you only have to run race gas when you put a high compression dome in an aftermarket head. you can get a head from pro design, the cool head, they have a selection of domes you can run. i think they have 2 of them for the 250r than run on pump gas and 2 on race gas and one that you are recommended to mix half and half. if you are racing you are going want a new piston probably twice a season. a lot of racers get new rings after every other race. but just for playing and trail riding once a year for a piston is ideal. with a full port and polish, lrd pipe, and a new head...you wont have a problem with any stock quads. but the 450s with just a pipe will be right with you.

Hondaistheshiz
09-04-2004, 02:20 PM
So at the dunes, the only thing that will be able to keep up with me is a crf450r or a yfz450?? Thats pretty sweet.

1988R
09-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Hondaistheshiz
So at the dunes, the only thing that will be able to keep up with me is a crf450r or a yfz450?? Thats pretty sweet.

I wouldn't go saying all that. There is going to be quite a few bikes in the dunes that are going to keep up and even be faster

wilkin250r
09-04-2004, 07:17 PM
A "mild" port will give you "mild" gains.

A popular pastime at the dunes is shooting the hill. Uphill sand drags. With a 265, a mild port job, and running pump gas, you'll be able to beat a 400EX, and z400. I don't think you'll beat a 450r or yfz.

Running a high-compression head that requires race gas will probably give you another 5 horsepower at the peak, and probably 7 horsepower in the slope of your powerband.

With just a 265, a mild port, and a pipe, you're not going to be king of the dunes, even among the "stock" machines. A YFZ with the simple cam mod or a piped banshee will run circles around you.

Hondaistheshiz
09-05-2004, 07:40 PM
I will upgrader the head most probably, but it will have to be where i can run pump gas. What acn i do to beat a piped yfz or crf?????

lil400exman
09-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Hondaistheshiz
I will upgrader the head most probably, but it will have to be where i can run pump gas. What acn i do to beat a piped yfz or crf?????
pipe, reeds, new filter,carb and a heavy port job with fairly high compression and you should whoop pretty hard............ i do!:macho

Sm0k3d
09-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Here's what my R has on it

fmf fatty pipe/silencer
custom dome
boysen reeds
39mm carb
full drag port
cool head
12/39 gearing

Last time I went to winchester I was running my 22x11x10 10 paddle extreme's and with my weight and gearing I can't hit 6th gear without it bogging, but 1st-5th screams, in a drag race i waste a raptor and z400 and a yfz and 450r at the start, but once I hit 5th and top it out the 450r and yfz smoke past me and keep pulling, and the raptor starts catching up after a while. Its a great bike but its hard to stay in the powerband once u get out of it, and you can't lug it up hills because of the drag port, thats why I am selling it and buying an 05' 450r which will only have a 12t front sprocket and filter/no airbox lid and I already know it will be all around faster than my R is.

87250rxrider
09-07-2004, 06:17 PM
idk, but my R can handle most of the 450's with a good amount of work done to them like they are standing still. i don't really want to list all of my mods, but i'll give some of what i got:

NPRD racing cylinder
TT ported by NPRD
4mm duncan stroker crank
290 bore
pro design cool head
21cc dome, also use a 19cc dome for certain occasions
bills pipe and silencer
38mm mikuni TMX carb
2 types of aftermarket reeds
2mm spacer plate
barnett HD clutch
dual 25 fin intercoolers
barnett quick change clutch cover(looks nice)

racerx573
09-08-2004, 12:12 AM
I recommend doing a complete rebuild/check as you mod it... to ensure reliability. A good port job (LRD, Baldwin, etc..) at 265cc can run with the best of them... rider taken into account also... I know... because I've done it... but a Sparks pipe, 38-39mm carb, v-force reeds, K&N filter, and a high compression head will give you a ripping engine at a decent cost, and keep the reliability around for a while.

trx450Rrider
09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
i think you will be able to beat the 450s because my bros R is 250ccs and he can still take me.

heres his engine mods:
cool head
fmf fatty with Q silencer
boyesen rad valve
wiseco piston
k&n air filter
kehein 38mm air stryker