PDA

View Full Version : Looking for more power

jedman
09-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey guys, I have a 99 400ex bored out to 416. It has a Sparks X-6 full exhaust, 165 main, 42 pilot, Wiseco piston, HRC cam, and a CRF450 timing chain. The boring, play porting, valve job, and putting back together was done by GThunder. My question is what to do next. Maybe a FCR 39mm carb, boring out of the stock carb, getting the head ported and polished. I run a rear 37 tooth and have a 14, 15, and 16 tooth front. I change them for whatever riding conditions and don't race, mostly trail riding and hill climbing. I am just looking for more power without boring higher. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Toadz400
09-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Go with the port and polish along with the FCR39 carb, it makes a HUGE difference!!

jedman
09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Hey Toad, was tuning in the FCR hard or was it just right straight out of the box. I heard that Sparks sells the FCR tuned to what you have on your quad. Thanks for the reply.

Toadz400
09-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jedman
Hey Toad, was tuning in the FCR hard or was it just right straight out of the box. I heard that Sparks sells the FCR tuned to what you have on your quad. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the FCR, a good friend of mine with his 416 has it installed. I guess it depends on where you order it from or what they tell you, but it shouldn't be fine tuned out of the box, unless you tell them your exact engine/air mods and what altitude you are at. But even then you might have to do some fine-tuning to make it work just right for you. Also, do a search on the FCR39 to learn how to fix the low-end bog which has to do with the duration of the accelerator pump.

To answer your question, the tuning shouldn't be hard, it's just like adjusting your stock carb. You just need to mess with the jetting to get it to work perfectly with your set-up, it's all trial-and-error.

Hope that helps, but I suppose if you need any help you could probably give speedy400 a PM.

speedy400
09-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Yip! accually them fcrs are great to tune, you dont need to take everything off to adjust the carb, just loosen the boot screws and pull her out. The needle is really easy to get to, everything is just a great setup, and I've had same jetting from when I got it except 1 size bigger pilot, as for the low end bog, I had it for awhile but I think that was because the pilot was too big, mine has no bog going on. Only problem I've had is... well check out the "Unsolvable on Going Problem" thread I put up here on the powertrain forum. If you have any questions, like toadz said, PM me-darren

400-416EX
09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I have an edelbrock quicksilver carb that is pretty much put on right out of the box. I sent it ot edelbrock and told them what I was getting for motor work and pipe and they set it up for me. Took it out of the box bolted it on and I was good to go. And with the edelbrock there are no jet changes. Turn an adjustment tool that I would get form them and it richens it or leans it out. NO MORE JET CHANGES. What a wonderful thing