PDA

View Full Version : GTT linkage problems?

dn1911
09-02-2004, 08:39 PM
how in the heck do you get this thing finagled on the bike. i can't get any of the holes lined up with the shock. i tried doing one fist and then the other, but that didn't work either:mad: i'm trying to get ready for my first ride in 4 months had a broken hand and i still have a ways to go to get the bike running! help please and quick

dn1911
09-02-2004, 09:17 PM
common all these people online and no one has any ideas or suggestions

rowlrag
09-02-2004, 09:19 PM
It bolts up like stock. the 2 close holes to the back.

dn1911
09-02-2004, 09:28 PM
yea thats how i have it but it is still off by like an 1/8 inch just enough that i can't get it on without loadin up the shock and i even took off all of the preload.

dn1911
09-02-2004, 09:53 PM
shold the bottom of my shock be able to turn like i was screwing it in or out? :huh

also when you guys mounted yours did you leave the swing arm on or was it off? i'm only asking cause mine isn't on and maybe i should try that.:confused2

rowlrag
09-02-2004, 10:33 PM
The bottom of the shock will turn, but not screw in or out, most the time you have to pick up or down on the swing arm to get all the holes lined up.

CatMostFeared
09-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Your swingarm should be on.When you move you swingarm up and down it will change the postion of the holes.

dn1911
09-02-2004, 10:48 PM
thanks guys i'm gonna reavluate my approach tomarrow and try again.

kazpr
09-03-2004, 05:51 AM
Dn let me know how that thing works for you. I am interested in going that way also. THanks alot

LS@GtThunder
09-03-2004, 06:00 AM
If you are having any problems with it. Feel free to contact me by e-mail. You can find my e-mail address on my web site. If you think there may be a problem with the link - you can send it to me - I will bolt it on my bike to check everything as well as check to see that the link was built to specs. I will pay for the cost of freight both ways, so it is no cost to you.

Note: I had 2 guys try to use it with a PEP rear shock - the lower fork on the PEP rear shock is shorter and I have a link with more clearance for the PEP shock. Same link but with a groove machined to fit the shorter fork.

Let me know how I can help.

WhiteZee
09-03-2004, 01:20 PM
i just installed my gt thunder linkage and revalved shock yesterday, and this by far is the best thing i have done to my bike, thanks a lot Laz for taking the time to fix the rear end bucking.

jeepnrocks
09-03-2004, 04:21 PM
hi ls, i noticed that you have 2 linkages for the 450r. which would be the best one for alot of different types of riding. i like the idea of lowering the bike down and i noticed the second linkage lowers it 2 inches and says that its good for cross country style riding. well this sounded very good to me until i saw that u should use aftermarket shocks. can you explain why aftermarket shocks are reccommended with this setup. is it to get the bike level again ( i would think that sitting lower in the back would cause a stock front end to look "jacked up"
also how much does the first link lower the bike ?
thanks,
mike

WhiteZee
09-03-2004, 05:05 PM
if you are planning on using 18'' tires, you cant use the second link that is made for the 20'' tires.

jeepnrocks
09-03-2004, 05:13 PM
nope no 18 inch tires for me, ii thought of going with 19 inch tires in the back and 21 in the front though. but that was just because i wanted to lower the bike a bit. i forget who makes the 19 inch tires but they are out there

CatMostFeared
09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
i just installed my gt thunder linkage and revalved shock yesterday, and this by far is the best thing i have done to my bike, thanks a lot Laz for taking the time to fix the rear end bucking.

Hey a who else helped you with that rear shock.:D

remlapr
09-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Does the GT Thunder link work with the stock length shock, sounds like yes. Also, do you have to lower the skid like you do with the Elka on a 400ex?

09-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Does the GT Thunder link work with the stock length shock, sounds like yes. Also, do you have to lower the skid like you do with the Elka on a 400ex?

Yes and yes.

Actually I don't think you can run the skid lower at all, you have to cut it..

WhiteZee
09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by CatMostFeared
Hey a who else helped you with that rear shock.:D
heh, thanks for revalving my shock, it works great. i already have 3 elka shocks that will be heading your way next week i think.

do you have to cut the swingarm skid, im cutting mine tomarrow.

remlapr
09-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Greeaattt - PRM needs to step up and make a skid that will work with these lower linkages

rowlrag
09-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Greeaattt - PRM needs to step up and make a skid that will work with these lower linkages
All you need to do is cut or grind out the area around the spring. Some linkages you need to space the skid down with 2 washers in front, 1 in the middle and none in the rear.

Jersey450R
09-04-2004, 09:33 AM
19" tires are made by holeshot MXR aand kenda claw now

joe1l
09-04-2004, 10:18 AM
do you have to cut the swingarm skid, im cutting mine tomarrow
I know with the GTT XC setup I bolted up my PRM skid and used 2 washers on the front 2 mounts to give it a little extra space. Works perfect. I think if you have the MX link, you will need to cut the skid.

dn1911
First: get someone else to help you with this.

Start by bolting the top of shock in first.
Then bolt up the linkage to bottom of the swingarm, next use a jack, and lit the rear the bike into an optimal spot, you will see that at a certain height, the bottom of the shock will be able to get onto the linkage.
Good Luck.
Joe

dn1911
09-07-2004, 08:07 AM
hey guys thanks for the help and good news we got it in time for our riding trip and man does that thing work great!:D

Shawn H
09-07-2004, 09:20 AM
I just removed my elka and link and installed Laz's,Gt Thunder link and Custom Axis rear worked over by Laz. I had a Pro tech skid and it had to be cut out to work properly with out hitting which gave me more needed clearance thru the woods. The link is built very well and will take the abuse!

Oh BTW: this set-up is by far way better than my elka set up was

Its AWESOME!!:devil:

cinigen9
09-07-2004, 09:33 AM
snow - what length is the rear shock you are using? Is a zps setup?

thanks
Carson

Shawn H
09-07-2004, 10:59 AM
I dont know the length but with the link its long travel and the Custom Axis is not a ssd set-up.Personalyl have had nothing but problems with ssd the Spring is worthless and with the Axis shock the top spring is thicker and therefore does something.I ruined my air box with the elka when it bottomed out and cracked the box.

WhiteZee
09-07-2004, 01:14 PM
you may need to raise your airbox, i know i have to with my gt thunder linkage.

Matt102
09-08-2004, 07:11 PM
You dont have to raise the airbox with the GTT MX linkage, but you do with the XC linkage.