PDA

View Full Version : 440 Owners help

flyingbyfast400
09-02-2004, 08:13 PM
What kind of crab and cam is everyone running on there 440ex? and how would you rate it... Do you have the over size head and stud kit ( i think its called ).. Does anyone know were I can find any info on cams besides hot cams... Thanks
Vic

cletusEX
09-02-2004, 08:18 PM
My buddy had a 440 with a Web Cam 479 grind cam in it. It was a JE piston with some mild porting and bigger valves. He had a stock carb and full HMF exhaust. I don't think he ran the oversized studs. I think he just helicoiled everything. It was a sweet running motor. Real fast.

flyingbyfast400
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Dumb question for you but whats helicoiled? Im looking to get a carb here in the next day or to cause my stocker has sum probs that no one can find lol... Ive had it apart, and 2 shops have had it apart and looked at it and set everything up on it and it still wont run right... Its cut out on me on 2 doubles now and its a scary feeling.... But right now I have my buddys crab on my bike right now... so im good to go for redbud :)

ZSK
09-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Mine has an 11:1 ross piston with a little shaved off of the head to true it back up. Stock cam and carb and an HMF slip on. It's a real torque monster. It'll wheelie on command or just power it's way up a hill. I blew 2 headgaskets and then went with the heavy duty stud kit from FDO/ABC Racing out of ohio. Really helpful. I put a race on it last weekend with no problems other than an annoying oil leak coming from somewhere. I easily pulled a kfx400 and a piped 250r at the start. The yfz is faster but there's also a lot more technology there too. I know without a doubt, a good cam over sized valves and an fcr carb will put me about even with it.

flyingbyfast400
09-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey cleanshave were at in Mich are you? For everyone thats been posting were have your motors been built at? Dealer? or just shops or are you sending them out to eng builders....

ZSK
09-02-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm in Standish and run D-14 C class Harescrambles. Mine was built by a shop around Hemlock but I just tore it down and reassembled it a couple weeks ago when installing the headstuds.

nakomis0
09-02-2004, 11:06 PM
My 440 is in my sig.. I also like the web cams. Never had any problems besides some jetting issues... then I found a guy with a dyno and i'll never try and tune a race bike without one.

cals400ex
09-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
My 440 is in my sig.. I also like the web cams. Never had any problems besides some jetting issues... then I found a guy with a dyno and i'll never try and tune a race bike without one.

what jetting did you end up with? also, was that with the air box lid on or off?

nakomis0
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Its a 190 main, don't recall the needle position I'm guessing the third.

Air box lid off, and a large intake and exhaust port job. 8 disks on the e-series.

REAPER
09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I use the hotcam, It's kinda mild but it's better than nothing. The best thing I did for my 440 was getting the Doug Eichner Edelbrock 440 carb. The adjustability is awesome and easy. Good luck with your build. Reaper

flyingbyfast400
09-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys.... Thats the carb I was thinking about getting... But is it worth the money? Ive heard good things and bad about them but i dunno for shure with which carb I wanna run... Right now Im just getting parts and everything for the motor and in late Oct.. Im going to send it off to get built. Heres what Im looking at doing... I have the 440 kit on the way (je piston) Replace the rod, do sum head work, over sized valvues, A cam and crab.... I just dont know what kind of crab and cam to get.. I like motors with alot of low end grunt but its gotta rev on the top pretty good but Im building this motor for mx, and sum riding I do at slive lake. Any helpfull Ideas with cams and crabs? and does anyone know were I can find some websites with cams, and info on them besides hotcams.? o ya and what kind of rev box do you guys think i should go with...
Thanks
Vic

cals400ex
09-04-2004, 02:13 AM
for cams, it depends on how much you want to spend. hotcams, web cams, sparks, TC, etc

for carbs, everyone has their own opinion. i have ran fcr 39 and 40 mm's. both seemed to be OK.

i have been told the edlebrock has a long throttle lever throw.

i have had great luck with the GT thunder rev box and i would recommend it to anyone.

flyingbyfast400
09-05-2004, 06:31 AM
As of right now money is no big deal on this motor build.. So any cam and all the onther good stuff is no prob.. Im just looking for what works best for people....
Cal did you notice much of a diff. with the fcr 39, 40 mm carbs? Im thinking about going with the 39 mm FCR carb due to the fact about some stuff Ive been hearing about the Edelbrock 440 carb.

My buddy has a built 460 thats posted in the 4 sale section of exriders... Its crazy fast but it dont run very good inless your around wide open.. Then it is scary fast...
:devil: But what kind of motor work can cause it to run like that? Spits and sputters and once your close to wide open it takes of like a rocket...... One of my buddys have a C-dale moto and when he races the 460... in a darg the 460 has the c-dale in all gears... or he can just putt up to the c-dale in 4th and (when the c-dale is wide open) the 460 hits 5th and says c-ya

cals400ex
09-06-2004, 05:28 PM
the fcr 40 definately flows much more than a 39. it is even supposed to outflow a 41mm fcr. the 40 is the newer design. however, is it too much for a slightly built 400ex?? i can't tell you yet. also, the 40 doesn't fit. you need to rig up an intake boot and the carb likes to rub the gas tank so you need to raise that a bit. it is hard for me to compare the two. i ran the 40 on my 426 and i only ran the 39 on my 406. i will be swapping the 40mm off my bike and run the stock carb to compare them to each other. one down side of the 39 is that it doesn't have a choke. on the other hand, you can't get to the choke on the 40mm unless the black side panels are off the bike. sorry but i know this didn't help much. i will try to give you a comparison within a week or two. but, i need to get my buddies head gasket in so i can race him to see the difference in carbs.

flyingbyfast400
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey thanks for the help so far everyone.... Its been helping me out with sum odds and ends that are going to play a big role in this motor build... Cals400ex ya just let me know once you try the carbs out and give me sum info on what you like...
I just got back from redbud a lil bit ago. I did a hards day riding out there with some of my buddys. I can make all the jumps there but for the double double, and a diff double.. All i could keep thinking is motor work will make this all much easyer.... :D But i was holding my own on my 400... A guy on a honda 450 and I went at it for a while... I could take him on the jumps and corners but he would make up ground on the nice long wide open areas... So we went at it about all day...
Thanks for all the info so far guys keep it coming..
VICTOR :devil:

nakomis0
09-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I would say your buddies 460 is not as powerfull until it gets to top end because either its not jetted correctly, or ported to big. And his cam to some degree.

I had a problem where my holeshot and top end where killer, but my midrange was just so-so... I got it dyno'd and a degree key and that picked up all areas.

flyingbyfast400
09-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Whats the deal with hardened rockers? Can I buy them from some wear or do I need to send mine out? and on my buddys 460 we build the carb off it .... just a bit ago and were getting sum jets for it I guess

flyingbyfast400
09-08-2004, 08:08 PM
* pulled the carb off it* my bad

flyingbyfast400
09-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey just picked up a ton of parts for my motor build... :blah: and when i was at the shop thats going ot build the motor i started to think about thowing a stroker crank in it to... anyone do this befor? I was just going ot put in a H\D rod but now Im going to go all out and make this thing haul balls.. Any info on what stroker crank to go with???? Ill run race gas now if i have to... lol I was trying to stay away from it but hell with it... :devil: I wanna make it out run my buddys c-dale and a 460ex so i think i can do it if its built right....
Thanks for the help guys
Vic :devil:

flyingbyfast400
09-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I need sum help with picking the right storker crank... I just need sum info of what kind of power Ill be getting and what to look out of when putting it in along with what kind of crank to go with for a 440 big bore kit 11:1 piston.... thanks guys
Vic :huh

MarkyNark
09-13-2004, 04:54 AM
There are some issues to think about when getting high compression piston combination. There is no compression release on a 400ex cam (aftermarket or otherwise) - In my opinion, a decent compression rating (like 12:1 or 13:1) provides a huge boost in torque, but also provides an unwanted result - dead batteries! With no compression release, the higher compression pistons, the stock battery will only crank about 3 times before its dead! The fix is a larger battery - but be carefull not to get to high on the amperage - that will cause starter failure down the road.

FYI ...

flyingbyfast400
09-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Hey thanks about the info on the battery.. I didnt give that much thought... But Im going to go with a honda HRC cam and that has a compression release ? Right ? or no? j\c Im going to try and keep my compression rating on the lower side if I can.. But I dont know how lucky Ill be with doing that... but time will tell...
Anyone with 440 bigbore kits and have stroked them wanna give me some info on the crank your useing..? and what all you had to do to the motor to make it work?
Vic

flyingbyfast400
09-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Anyone?

MarkyNark
09-15-2004, 01:25 PM
There is no compression release in any honda 400EX cam - aftermarket or otherwise - Its a function of the head, and there is no function for the 400EX head.

Mine is a big bore, not a stroker 440. Poweroll has a stroker crank that you might want to look into. It makes a 416cc bore into a 440 and a 440 bore into a 465.

bigbadktm
09-15-2004, 02:54 PM
get ahold of FDO in ohio...they build some nice bikes.

check out this bike (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=27005)

ZSK
09-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Just curious but what's everyone running for jetting on their 440's?

flyingbyfast400
09-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Ya i cant help ya out there... Im still getting all the parts around to build mine this Oct... Someone eles will have to help u there.... Anyone?

MarkyNark
09-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I've got the Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" - Just needle -

ZSK
09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Mine was jetted rich for the break in period, better rich than lean. I leaned it out tonight and the plug is perfect. I'm at a DJ165 main.

440EX BiGMaN #5
09-17-2004, 08:11 PM
I got a IMS 440 kit with a FMF Bomb Header,White Brothers E-Series Pipe,K & N Filters, Jets, and a cam.I know its a little much but i got it off my neighbor by the way its a 2001 and i only paid $2,300 for it. But my buddy has a stock Suzuki Z400 and its in a way kinda like a 2 stroke racing bike (I owned one) u have to wind it out to ride a wheelie.I don't get many compliments on my "Beast" is what I call it but when someone climbs on, or I ask them to race its really funny!!! I mean talk about a wheelie rider i weigh 285 lbs. and its still outrageous how mean this quad is but I am real proud of my 440 and hope this helps you but the exhaust and filters make a world of difference!!