PDA

View Full Version : Danger Ranger questions

ZSK
09-02-2004, 07:42 PM
About a year and a half ago my parents suprised me with a 1996 Ranger for my 18th Birthday/Highschool graduation present. No I'm not spoiled I work hard and they were just very generous. It's night and day difference over the 94 explorer I used to drive. No more pulling a trailer to get my quad around now I pull my buddy's around too. I just miss the 4wd dearly. More than a couple times I've had to get pulled out of some snow and dirt. I know the limits of it but getting stuck still happens. Here it is in it's usual trim with a trailer behind it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pf33a27f1c2d45f81921669d1a796ca9b/fa5aacf9.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p4f106e5595e6bcd9960df9c664035238/fb84f714.jpg

Currently it has some Cooper Cobra's on it. Good road tire but not so good off road tire. The size is 235 60 R15. What's a good tire the next size taller? I'd like to gain some clearence with the next ones. Not going hard core mudding especially with a 2wd but something for a just in case kind of thing. Also will the next size clear the fenders when the going gets a tad rough? I bolted up the tires and wheels from my mom's 99 explorer sport 255 75 R16(pictured) and they put it right where I wanted it but seem like a tight fit.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/peb1b3a509f1b42416a8cf503d34fcb5a/f81376a4.jpg

Also frequently I pull 2 quads on a trailer. What can I do to offset the larger tires besides gearing. The 4.0L is healthy but I'd like a little more. Will a chip, exhaust (flowmaster) and filter (K&N) really help the performance that much? If it didn't have 165,000 on it I'd get a supercharger. Working on a budget that's why I don't have an F-150. Any advice?

honda92
09-02-2004, 09:35 PM
i have a 92 ranger 4x4 and i currently have 31 inch BridgeStone Dueller M/T's and those tires are pretty good. i dont think 31's will fit on yours though, i got a 4 inch lift. but those tires do come in smaller sizes and i have been able to get through quite a bit in 2wd. and for snow get some blizzaks, my dad put some on his 2wd jeep with a few sand bags in the back and it made a incredible difference. that 4.0 should have no problem powering 1 size bigger tires. i have a 2.9 with stock gearing in a 5 speed and it powers the 31's alright. just keep your front tires and just get a set of tires for the summer and for the winter then you'll be set.

ZSK
09-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Those are 31's in the 3rd picture. There's about 2 inches between the fender and the top of the tire. I'm kinda looking at a 4 inch suspension lift I think it would clear the tires no problem. I also saw a Gibson exhaust. Any input on it?

TheFontMaster
09-03-2004, 02:33 PM
One of those power programers is a good idea. It will alow you to change the spedometer for the bigger tires, and you will also pick up about 25-35 hp and foot lbs. And with a 4 inch lift you should be able to run a 33 in tire no problem.

mud390
09-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Gibson makes a nice product, but I would have a local exhaust shop bend some pipe personally. If you don't get crazy with it, you can get a really nice cat back exhuast system for a very reasonable shop. Ask around town and see where everyone got theres done and how they like the workmanship. As far as more power goes, the obvious intake, or K&N filter in stock airbox, and exhaust. A chip/programer would help too. If you put anything larger than a 31" tire on it, I would highly recommend regearing the rearend. Find someone who knows how to do it, offer them some cash and/or the farovite beverage and to help them. It'll save you a lot of cash. That is about it for bolt ons really. Good luck with it!

Kris

FTR250Rnif
09-03-2004, 03:07 PM
thats a good grad present. I love my ranger, they go any where. at least mine has gone everywhere ive drove it!:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ftr250rnif/my%20pics/ranger.jpg

09-03-2004, 04:45 PM
3" body lift, Hypertech stage 2 power chip, Flowmaster dual exhaust with 3 1/2 chrome tips. Engine rebuilt 2 years ago changed everything has only 22,000 miles on engine. To answer your question the chip made a huge difference on my truck.

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/blazer.jpg

rebel red ex
09-03-2004, 07:08 PM
i have a 94 ranger 6in lift with 33 in pro comp mts and its a awsome rig

honda92
09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
also check the site www.therangerstation.com, they have a lot info

1fast400ex
09-03-2004, 10:54 PM
the best thing ive seen to help the 4.0 is to put a set of 3.73 gears under it. lose a little gas mileage but awesome power increase.

UglyMotha™
09-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
One of those power programers is a good idea. It will alow you to change the spedometer for the bigger tires, and you will also pick up about 25-35 hp and foot lbs. And with a 4 inch lift you should be able to run a 33 in tire no problem.

well lets clear a few thing up here first, you seem to be giving out some false info

1st, you won't be able to change the speedo with a programer, you have to change the little worm gear in the tranny

2nd, you can't program 25-35 horse outta the ranger in order to see that much of a gain your goin to have to do a port,throttle body, injectors, mass airflow sensors, intake, headers, and exhuast, and then you'll see close to that much of a gain but it'll be pushing it, but it would take a miracle to see that much of a gain just by changing a few settings in the computer

3rd, the largest tire size you can clear with a 2wd 4"suspension lift without rubbing are 31"s, if it was a 4wd, then he'd be able to clear the 33"s

UglyMotha™
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
also if your looking for new gears i have a 4.10 rearend that will bolt right up to your truck, came outta my ranger before i did the build, the gears are virtually brand new only ran the summer on them, they've probably only got 150 miles on them i used synthetic lube, it's the whole rearend, i'll give it up for 150 bucks depending on your location in michigan, it would probably worth the drive, cause for you to reargear your rearend will run your 300+ easy, between the cost of gears and setup

TheFontMaster
09-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
well lets clear a few thing up here first, you seem to be giving out some false info

1st, you won't be able to change the speedo with a programer, you have to change the little worm gear in the tranny

2nd, you can't program 25-35 horse outta the ranger in order to see that much of a gain your goin to have to do a port,throttle body, injectors, mass airflow sensors, intake, headers, and exhuast, and then you'll see close to that much of a gain but it'll be pushing it, but it would take a miracle to see that much of a gain just by changing a few settings in the computer

3rd, the largest tire size you can clear with a 2wd 4"suspension lift without rubbing are 31"s, if it was a 4wd, then he'd be able to clear the 33"s

I know you can change spedometers with those programer things. You just have to buy the right one. You can do alot with those programers. I might be wrong on the other things, but I have seen those power programers give stock motors quite a bit of power gain.

UglyMotha™
09-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I know you can change spedometers with those programer things. You just have to buy the right one. You can do alot with those programers. I might be wrong on the other things, but I have seen those power programers give stock motors quite a bit of power gain.

I know far to much bout rangers, you can't :o

UglyMotha™
09-04-2004, 11:51 AM
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Speedogear.html

read up, expand your knowledge some http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Honda4trax250x
09-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
3" body lift, Hypertech stage 2 power chip, Flowmaster dual exhaust with 3 1/2 chrome tips. Engine rebuilt 2 years ago changed everything has only 22,000 miles on engine. To answer your question the chip made a huge difference on my truck.

http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/blazer.jpg

i also have an 89 s10 blazer

got some questions for you

what kind of sound can you get out of it with those pipes?
and
how was lifting it? pretty easy?

09-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Everyone that doesn't know my truck thinks it has a V8 in it. It sounds really deep. The exhaust shop that did the job said it was hard to get the pipe out of the drivers side. He said if it wasn't lifted he didn't think he would have been able to get it out on the drivers side. I had a 4X4 shop lift it. Cost $300.00 parts & labor. That was 4 years ago.

TheFontMaster
09-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
I know far to much bout rangers, you can't :o

Your right. I looked at www.hypertech.com and you can't make the spedometer corections on the rangers like you said.

michigan rider
09-05-2004, 10:14 PM
wtf is this **** cleanshave, you said you didnt see anyreason to mod your truck????????

rebel red ex
09-06-2004, 07:47 AM
and as for 33 with a 4" lift they will fit but if u go offrading you are gonna have some bashed up fenders if you start doing anything that has any kind of articulation at all. i can fit 36" tires under my truck but it woulnd do any good in the trails unless i cut the fenders all the way out

ZSK
09-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by michigan rider
wtf is this **** cleanshave, you said you didnt see anyreason to mod your truck????????

At the time that was true. With winter coming I'm tired of burrying it in the College parking lot, and a couple extra ponies never hurt when towing your wheeler. :)

86350x
09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
At the time that was true. With winter coming I'm tired of burrying it in the College parking lot, and a couple extra ponies never hurt when towing your wheeler. :)

When are you and Mike gonna learn not to play air guitar while driving:confused:

You and him sound like you both fly off of the road alot in the winter time:p

michigan rider
09-08-2004, 08:32 PM
hey it only happen once alright!:blah:
and its all been fixed

86350x
09-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by michigan rider
hey it only happen once alright!:blah:
and its all been fixed

Since your going to cmu, you'll crash getting some road head this year..........................:eek:

Lmao!

sharkinthepool
09-09-2004, 05:34 AM
I have a 2003 edge 4X4 with a 4.0 and a set of 4.11's, chipped with the gibson exhaust and K&N intake system. Looked at a supercharger but the 450's came out.

I have the 4X4 incase I need it but sadly I have only used when I go Duck Hunting and that was just because I wanted to drive to see what that puppy would do. It did not even spin a tire and we were in some nasty stuff!

I love my 4X4 but I would kill to have a 2wd "lowered" so it would be easier to load and unload my bike by myself.