PDA

View Full Version : My E-series broke!!

kaneman23
04-08-2002, 04:56 AM
Well, I have had my E-series on for about a month now and its already destroyed!! I hit a drainage ditch in 4th gear pinned and bottomed out my rear shock. When my suspension compressed it caused the pipe to crack all the way around the weld. Now my bike sounds like **** and feels like it has lost some power. Does WB have warranty against anything like this or am I screwed? BTW, my bike suspension is completely stock... Thanks,
Justin

Wheelie
04-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Call White Bros to find out whether or not it will be under warranty.

If it's not covered and your prominent with a welder, weld that sucker up. It's cheaper than a new pipe, or atleast it will get you by until you can afford a new one.:)

mjh2115
04-08-2002, 11:25 AM
WB won't cover it under warranty, unless you're really persuasive, they don't like breaks resulting from jumps, only manufacturing defects. my E-series broke at the weld too, mostly from the hard landings, I wire brushed all around the welds stuck it back together and rewelded it, it doesn't look quite as nice but it starts a lot better than it did with the silencer broke off, and it sounds better than no exhaust, cheaper than replacing it. If you decide to weld it make sure it is off your quad so you don't fry anything electrical, and make sure it is lined up right, I tacked mine and then put it back on to make sure it fit, then I welded it all the way around.

crookedeyemoto-x
04-08-2002, 12:06 PM
My White Bros. E-Series broke also, i just cleaned up the break, and welded it back together.It doesn't look all that good, but it works and hey it beats buying a new one!!

kaneman23
04-08-2002, 01:33 PM
Well, I am going to send it back to them and see if they will fix it or replace it under warranty. I wasn't jumping, I just went over a ditch and the suspension bottomed out. If they don't replace it I will go with the R4 or something similar. Thanks for the help...

Justin

Chef
04-08-2002, 01:39 PM
They should replace it. One of my friends has broken 3...they replaced every one of 'em. He broke 2 on jumps and 1 on a wheelie in the sand...I think the quality of white brothers is going down the drain..

Sick0
04-08-2002, 03:17 PM
this funny because mine broke too. How did you guys weld it. Did you use mig welder or a tig welder. What kind of welding wire did you use mild steel or stainless steel?

Drtridr18
04-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Well on my friends Warrior at least, his e-series is aluminum, and for the best chance at a good looking weld, go for the tig machine, and i think aluminum tig wire is mostly 2011??

Sick0
04-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Well I can TIG mild steel, stainless steel, and ALUMUNUM. But I only have a mig welder set up with mild steel welding wire. The shell is alumunum but the pipes itself is stainless steel.
What I would like to know is will the mild steel welding wire hold.:devil

kaneman23
04-08-2002, 05:02 PM
Alky,

I called and spoke with WB on the phone today about this issue and a gentleman in the customer service dept. told me to send it back to where I purchased it(Marcum's). Then he said they(WB) would have to look at it to determine if they will replace it or not. I then asked the guy why would I have to send it to Marcum's only to have them send it to you(WB)? He didn't give me an answer, so I told him I was going to send it to him(WB) directly to avoid confusion and delay, he didn't give a good response. He said "don't just send us the pipe we won't know who it belongs to and you will be out of a pipe". I was like you dumbass, I am going to mail you this thing with an explanation of why I am sending it along with my return address. So far their customer service dept hasn't been very good, strike 1. Hopefully they will make it up and send me a new one because I have only had the pipe on there a month and I am not a hardcore rider. If they don't make this right, I will boycott their products and tell everyone on this board that they are poor quality and have bad service. I have heard some bad but mostly good things about WB and this is the reason I purchased the pipe. If they don't make it right, I will..... :devil

K_Fulk
04-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Just keep whineing complaing and emailing it worked for me when i broke my fmf.

Matt Fisher
04-08-2002, 09:26 PM
My 400 came with their slip-on. After 3 rides, the center core broke apart from rust, and all the forward rivets fell out. I was under the impression from the prior owner it was only about a year old.

I called WB and talked to Steve Darrow (ext230). Very helpful, he gave me a Return Authorization number to send it back. I also talked to him about possibly upgrading to their full exhaust should the slip-on be considered "totaled". He said that I might be able to pay the retail difference between the two ($250).

In the box I included a note with the RA#, and a desire to upgrade to the full exhaust if possible.

Steve Lewis (ext224) called me back. He explained that my muffler was at least 3 years old (ouch) because they had stopped making that specific design that long ago. We talked for a few minutes and he agreed to sell me the upgraded exhaust for $250.

Now consider that my muffler was WAY out of warranty, and there wasn't any real reason why he should have done this.

Here's what it got them though- White Brothers has a happy customer using their best product, and I will say only good things about their customer service. My friend hates FMF due to the piss-poor customer service they showed him over his slip-on. He was so impressed with how WB handled the situation, he ordered a full exhaust for his 400EX. I can guarantee you that my neighbor will be taking a good, hard look at a WB pipe for his Raptor, as will other riding buddies. The list goes on. White Brothers will get much more in return from me than they may have lost in helping me.

I don't know how good/bad you are with dealing with people, kaneman23, but how you treat them will be the way you get treated. I'm not saying you were a jerk or anything like that, please don't misunderstand me. Call the customer service guys by their names, be respectful, be their friend. Thank them numerous times regardless of how the situation seems to be going for you. Remember- they are people that get crapped on by jerks all day long (I've worked in Customer Service before), so don't be one of them. Good luck. :)

04-08-2002, 10:00 PM
Just take it to a local welder that can weld stainless steel. It will only cost about $20 and you'll be ride-ready again. For only $20 you can save yourself the hassle of getting pissed at the factory because they didnt bow down and beg forgiveness since you were the one that munched it to begin with. I got mine fixed same day I busted it, and I was only down for two hours versus a couple weeks if I sent it in. Save yourself the time and trouble, dont b!tch, go ride and have fun. As a matter of fact, I'll send you a hall pass, take a day off of work just to go ride. Tell yer boss I said it was okay.

:blah

mopar 400
04-08-2002, 11:44 PM
I had purchased both White Brothers E series pipes and FMF pipes for my 400ex. When I bought the WB pipe, the FMF was set in the garage for a spare. It was in rough shape, so i decide to see how good FMF customer service was. I called FMF directly and spoke to a rep, and told him that my pipe was used for about a year and was a little beat up. He asked what the problem was and I told him the spark arrestor screen had broke, and the pipe had a major problem with leakage around the headpipe. He told me to send it to him, and since I was already running another pipe, and time was not an issue, I did send it. Sure enough in about two weeks I called back to make sure they recieved the pipe, and they told me a brand new one was on the way.

When I got the pipe it was a Powercore IV II, I sent an old Powercor I, the difference in price being about 25 dollars. I was quite impressed with FMF customer service and sent a nice thank you email.

kaneman23
04-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Hey man thanks for the advice. I am glad to hear you got such great service from them and I am hoping they will take care of me the same way. Steve, is the guy I am dealing with right now and he must have been in a bad mood yesterday. I didn't have an attitude at all when I called them yesterday. I just talked to him, explained the situation, and asked him what I could do. I didn't like the response he gave me but I didn't get mad. I have learned getting pissed off at people on the phone gets you nowhere. I was very polite over the phone even though he was crabby towards me. Hopefully, he will take care of me and fix the pipe very soon.

Justin

kaneman23
04-09-2002, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the post. I decided to do the samething you did with your pipe when it broke. I sent it to WB directly and I talked to Terry as well. Terry told me if I had any problems with WB he would get right on it. Hopefully they will replace the whole pipe because its cracked and dented.

Justin

kaneman23
04-09-2002, 08:40 AM
I am glad to see these companies are taking care of a few of their customers. Hopefully WB will be as good to me as FMF was to you. They really sent you a brand new Powercore? Thats awesome....

Justin