PDA

View Full Version : I did it, Thanks Everyone

04-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Hello,

I installed the K&N Power Kit and adjusted the valves today. Man what a difference ;) The Valve Adjustment went very well using the 400EX Valve Adjustment (http://www.exriders.com/tech/valves.shtml) writeup in the Ex Tech section. The intake valves were a little loose, the left exhaust valve was perfect, but the right exhaust valve was WAY to tight! I also found a few screws loose that I had to tighten, I guess that was expected.

I do have a question: I tried to remove the spark plug, but I couldn't seem to get a gip on it. I tried using the Honda spark plug tool and also a craftsman spark plug tool. Either would work, am I doing something wrong?

I plan to order an exhaust system in the NEAR future, but after riding it after just doing the k&n power kit, I am a happy camper for now.

Thanks for the advisements,

oldnumberseven
04-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Hey Bobby, I am just over in El Segundo (LAX) If you ever want to go riding give me a yell.

04-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by oldnumberseven
Hey Bobby, I am just over in El Segundo (LAX) If you ever want to go riding give me a yell.

oldnumberseven,

You ever get up to the High Desert? We usually ride every Sunday. We went out today for like 5 hours. The first weekend after I got my quad the guys took me out for a 9 Hour ride, come Monday I could barely walk. It felt like I worked out at the gym for a week straight non stop :) I have had my quad exactly a month today and man is it a blast to ride. It's the 1st motorcycle I have ever riden. When I bought it, I was uneducated and lucked out, I bought it for its looks :D .

Maybe a few of us socal guys & gals can get together some weekend and meet up at the Oak Hills Canyon and ride a bit. Are you familiar with the Oak Hills Canyon? It's at I15 & 395, nice spot. On the weekends I have seen 30-40 motorcycles out there.

04-08-2002, 12:04 AM
try a 17mm or 18mm deepwell socket

Leo
04-08-2002, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by BWilliams
The intake valves were a little loose, the left exhaust valve was perfect, but the right exhaust valve was WAY to tight!

If the R side exhaust valve was REALLY tight, the automatic decompression release was probably activated.. You can not turn the motor clockwise at all or it will activate..

You'll know when you go to start it up, it'll rattle like crazy :(

Leo

MadcapEX
04-08-2002, 05:43 AM
Sounds like back to the drawing board.:(

04-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Leo

If the R side exhaust valve was REALLY tight, the automatic decompression release was probably activated.. You can not turn the motor clockwise at all or it will activate..

You'll know when you go to start it up, it'll rattle like crazy :(

Leo

Leo,

No rattle at all. As a matter of fact it is quieter now than it was before I adjusted them IMO.

I actually spun it around several times to verify TDC. Is it like a car or truck and it can only be off 180 degrees and be RIGHT ot WRONG?

Thanks,

Leo
04-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BWilliams

Leo,

No rattle at all. As a matter of fact it is quieter now than it was before I adjusted them IMO.

I actually spun it around several times to verify TDC. Is it like a car or truck and it can only be off 180 degrees and be RIGHT ot WRONG?

Thanks,

yup.. if the T mark is lined up in the window the cam can either be right, or 180 off...

there is an automatic compression device that opens the R side exhaust valve if the motor spins over just a bit backwards (to help minimize kickback for those XR riders ;)) The first time I did mine I thought the R side valve was really tight, turns out I activated the decompression release.. Sounded like it was going to beat itself to death when I started it..

If everythings pretty quiet you should be good to go.

Leo

04-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Leo

yup.. if the T mark is lined up in the window the cam can either be right, or 180 off...

there is an automatic compression device that opens the R side exhaust valve if the motor spins over just a bit backwards (to help minimize kickback for those XR riders ;)) The first time I did mine I thought the R side valve was really tight, turns out I activated the decompression release.. Sounded like it was going to beat itself to death when I started it..

If everythings pretty quiet you should be good to go.

Leo

Leo,

Thanks for the reply. Maybe this weekend when I get my exhaust I will tear it down again and re-check the valve clearances just to be safe and make sure that I rotate the crank counter clockwise as specified in the write-up ;)

Thanks,

Texan32
04-09-2002, 06:23 AM
Hey Loe,

you said that the T mark could be right or wrong. Well, when i pulled everything apart to do the valve adjustment, i lined up the T mark like everyone sais. Well, my valves were all tight. I turned the motor to another set of marks (what seemed like another 180 deg.) and all 4 valves were loose. This is ok...right?!

why would some T marks line up and others be 180 out?

MIKE400EX
04-09-2002, 07:24 AM
Thats 180* at the cam or 360* (1 revolution) at the crank/flywheel. You're OK!