PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Ball Joints

Zuikan
09-02-2004, 01:06 AM
First off, my right front on my 400ex has more camber than the left wheel, and I know the 400ex's should be just about straight up and down. So i changed the upper A-arm, with no change i looked closely at the lower and since it would need to be streched to cause extra chamber i ruled it out. So the spindle must be the culprit. after getting the ball joint loose from the spindle, i noticed i tore the lower boot a little getting it apart. I thought now i am going to need a new lower A-arm. Then i started prying on the boot.

The boots on the a-arms, tie-rods all come off. And if they are torn a little, just get them clean with a degreaser, and then get them squeaky clean with a dish soap and use super glue to mend the rubber back together.

If you want to clean the old grease out, and put new in:

Get a nice thin flat head screw driver and get right at the base of the boot (the larger diameter side) and get behind it, between it and the metal, you can pop them off. Put new grease in and then just press them back on with a smooth rounded object. I also used a large socket of the right diameter to push them back on.
I always thought they were non removable. Now you can make those joints last forever. :)

I think i might do the other side just to grease it up.

Also, you can grease your A-arm mounts easy enough, just pull one bolt out at a time, fill it up with grease, and hold your finger over one end while pushing the bolt in the other ( this with push the grease in the joint) after you cannot push any more air out, push the bolt all the way through and re-torque. repeat for the rest of the joints.

I hope this was helpful. Enjoy ;)

Bill Fuller
09-02-2004, 05:21 AM
Good post!!

09-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Good post!!

You like greazy balls don't ya Billy....:devil: