PDA

View Full Version : need power help!!

10secKing
09-01-2004, 09:20 PM
ok got my new 450r last week. rode it a little to kinda break it in. took it to the dunes this weekend... and got my *** handed to me by EVERYTHING. and dont tell me its rider! but need some suggestions on CAM, FILTER, PIPE, ???

cam i was thinkin of sparks or hot cam ?

filter k&n or sparks ?

pipe sparks or lrd ?

any help is greatly appreciated. i got a buddy with a 505 yfz that just keeps runnin his mouth about what junk the honda is and i am REALLY gettin sick of hearin it already. please suggestions

danyeo
09-01-2004, 09:53 PM
I think any stock quad out in the dunes is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Mt friend has 13 tooth front sprocket, HMF full system, rejetted and opened up the airbox, i think he has the HRC kit as well, it's pretty fast.

kazpr
09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Ya I removed the lid and put a B.Balance HMF full pipe and it is pretty dang fast for no more than is doen to it! Going to get the pro design K&N filter next. Am told that will make a big difference also.

lukester720
09-01-2004, 11:33 PM
the sparks agressive and the hot cam stage 2 make the same kind of power, the hot cam is cheaper

If you only ride dunes and don't have to worry about water, ESR makes an airbox eliminator kit for around 60 dollars give or take. I have the sparks on mine and it works great!

With the pipe i went with the Sparks, I think he makes some of the best pipes around for racing IMO.

Check your throttle cable to make sure it is adjusted right, if its not your carb will not open all the way up when you pin the throttle, a lot of these are not adjusted properly from the dealer.

Johnny Butt
09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
i have the sparks system with his airfilter a 185 main, no lid and a 15 tooth front, it is powerfull and fast.

WhiteZee
09-03-2004, 01:29 PM
lukester, how do you make sure the throttle cable is adjusted right, and how do you fix it if its not?

10secKing
09-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Butt
i have the sparks system with his airfilter a 185 main, no lid and a 15 tooth front, it is powerfull and fast.

did the pipe help it that much? i HATED mine with the 14 tooth so i went too a 13. if it helps that much i will probably put the 14 back on it

so i am at the conclusion sparks pipe and filter and hrc cam i think!!

anyone else got some suggestions?

WhiteZee
09-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 10secKing
so i am at the conclusion sparks pipe and filter and hrc cam i think!!

i think that setup would be ideal for the dunes, you may also want to consider getting a rev box since the hrc cam makes power above and beyond the stock rev limit.

jeepnrocks
09-03-2004, 05:22 PM
who is it that makes the 520 kit and they also have a 570 kit with a 600 kit on the way ?
and your buddy with the yfz, hell spend alot of time running his mouth by hiself while your out riding and he is working on his quad :D

kssandduner
09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
who is it that makes the 520 kit and they also have a 570 kit with a 600 kit on the way ?
That would be my boys from nmotion! I just got my pipe today, should have pics when I get back after this weekend! Check their stuff out at nmotiontechnology.com, you'll be impressed with their stuff, and they are awesome people to deal with!

Joe

jeepnrocks
09-03-2004, 05:46 PM
cool, do u have a big bore kit also ?

lukester720
09-04-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
lukester, how do you make sure the throttle cable is adjusted right, and how do you fix it if its not?

With your quad shut off just give it full throttle, you should be able to hear a click sound from the carb indicating that it has been opened up all the way. If not just turn the throttle cable out a little further till you can start to hear it click, sounds like metal on metal.

450r pimp
09-04-2004, 11:00 AM
I have a 13 tooth front, hot cams stage 2, alba full exhaust, sparks air filter with no lid w/ a 180 main jet and it seems to work great w/ whatever you throw at it

10secKing
09-05-2004, 09:22 PM
ok so i am kinda in a toss up.

go with a full exhaust and gain about 7 or 8, or go slip on and get 5 or 6. i am kinda leanin towards a sparks slip onsparks filter and an hrc cam. what do you think about that?:confused:

450r pimp
09-06-2004, 01:41 AM
sparks air filter lid removed, team alba full pipe, hot cams stage 2 and it hauls *** w/ a 13 tooth but for dunes I'd go about 15 w/ a 182 - 185 main jet it hauls pretty good... i'm likin' the set up rite now

trout
09-06-2004, 05:54 PM
I dont really agree with what is being said here. my 450 R is stock. with airbox lid off and outterwear, and pee shooter out.

I spent the last four days at Little Saharah UT. and I beat TWO, yes 2 696 piped jetted 15,000$ raptors up sand mountain. Yes they also beat me a few times and we tied and all that, but I was right there with them every time. They are my friends as well, so if im lieing they will post.

Not bashing, just saying stock 450R with paddles and 13T front sproket and few air mods, I was sticking with anything except crazy banshees and rails.

trout

35charlie
09-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
With your quad shut off just give it full throttle, you should be able to hear a click sound from the carb indicating that it has been opened up all the way. If not just turn the throttle cable out a little further till you can start to hear it click, sounds like metal on metal.

What he said. Only I backed mine off just slightly so the throttle stop hit before the carb slide topped out. I would think topping out the slide isn't too good for it.

RedRacer44
09-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I have a full Sparks exhaust with Sparks filter, open airbox, Stage II HotCam, and JE 11.5:1 piston on my quad and it rips! I'm also still on pump gas unless I'm at the MX track where I throw in some TrackTek 111 octane race gas which works great with the motor. I rape 440EXs, YFZs, raptors, etc etc from the start and pull away all the way threw the gears. I usually pull the holeshot in most motos unless there is another built 450 (yfz or trx) on the line and then its a horse-race to the 1st corner, heh.

You will be very pleased with just re-jetting, getting a full exhaust, filter and removing your airbox lid. This quad is very restricted from the factory and really comes alive with a pipe/filter. If you dont have $$$ for a pipe right away, try taking your baffles outta your silencer, remove your airbox, and jet up to a 185 main jet....it helps out! We were able to do this with my cuz's quad in the beginning and it ran pretty well, much better than stock.

benwa450r
09-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Here's my sand setup: 13 tooth front - 39 tooth rear sprocket. Have HRC kit, Sparks exhaust and filter with lid off. 185 main jet. Rear tires are 21x12x8 8-paddle at 6psi. Scat trak Mohawk fronts. Works really well.

quadjeff
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Here is mine..

13:1 piston
Vortex Ignition
HRC Cam
Ported
FMF ti system
13 tooth front 37 tooth rear

This thing rips. I MX and never get beat out of the start. Do the iginition. It makes the most difference.

I will have a DASA motor in a couple of weeks... Will keep you posted..

lukester720
09-09-2004, 12:18 AM
I have the sparks cam, pipe and filter, 03 crf 40mm carb, 14/39 gearing with the vortex ignition and -5oz trailtech flywheel on the way. I might look into the 500cc FST big bore kit too!:eek2:

RedRacer44
09-09-2004, 12:43 PM
How is that Vortex ignition treating you Luke?? I was looking into getting an ignition but dont want to whip out the $$$ for the Sparks electrical set up thats like $800 or whatever.

My next mods on the to-do list is either an ignition or the GT Thunder MX linkage.....

lukester720
09-09-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't have the ignition yet but it could be here ant time now, I will keep you posted!:cool:

10secKing
09-09-2004, 08:18 PM
how much was the vortex cause, i got a buddy who just out it on and he said it was a WORLD of difference. and how much for the flywheel?

where i am at here:

Sparks filter, jet kit, and full pipe

HRC cam

need some type of ignition

and the other basics- nerfs, bumper, axle

lukester720
09-10-2004, 12:00 PM
For a price on the ignition ask the site sponsor C+D racing, thats where I ordered mine but they don't like to post their prices because they are usually cheaper than retail, so I won't post it either. The flywheel was 120 or 130 dollars from www.trailtech.net, you will have to call them and they are on backorder.