PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to a Twist Throttle?

JhallettEX
08-30-2001, 08:58 PM
What do you guys think about twist throttles? Are they worth it? What kind do you use and how much? I have a very sore forearm and thumb after todays ride.

Thanks

08-30-2001, 11:17 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AND NO...THEY SUCK ON QUADS

08-31-2001, 12:17 AM
I prefer the twist only on a two-wheeler, where it belongs. I'm more comfortable with the thumb throttle on my quad. I'd suggest trying somebody elses with a twist before you do it to yours. But surely there are others out there who prefer twist on both.

AlaskaSpeed
08-31-2001, 01:29 AM
I have a Motion Pro twist throttle and love it. Yes, it did take some getting used to on the quad; but I would not go back to the thumb for recreational riding. My thumb is never sore and I can ride for hours.......JIM

08-31-2001, 06:36 AM
I put a motion pro twist throttle on mine as soon as I bought it, so I haven't had much experience with the thumb throttle. I have been riding a motorcycle for many years, so I think the twist throttle is the only way to go on a quad. I can see how your thumb would get pretty sore with a thumb throttle. Just be careful on your first few jumps with the twist throttle, if you're hanging on too tight and your right hand pulls back, you're in for a wild ride.

08-31-2001, 07:21 AM
I had a twist on my old polaris sport 400,, and loved it,,but it was also an automatic and a 2 stroke,,,I think twists belong with 2 strokers for some reason,,but yes it does take some time to get used too,,,and like abomb said if you don't practice jumping a quad with a twist and just go for it you are defenitly in for a wild ride...

JhallettEX
08-31-2001, 08:45 AM
OK thanks alot.....I think that I may give one a try for a while. Are they easy to put on? And if I dont like it I can always go back to the thumb throttle, Right?

08-31-2001, 08:53 AM
Very easy to put on and very easy to take off,,just make sure to adjust the throttle cable real good before taken off and hammerin down the trail...:D

Revin300EX
08-31-2001, 10:27 AM
I installed mine, and regretted it for about 2 weeks... Then I got used to it, and now, I am considering selling my thumb throttle assembly on EBay!

Twist throttle is the best thing since sliced bread! Once you get used to it, you will never go back. It is perfectly safe on jumps, as long as you know how to use it.

08-31-2001, 10:30 AM
if you watch any of the huvous movies you'll see the freestylers run thumb throttles

oynot400
08-31-2001, 11:17 AM
I have a Motion Pro twist on mine, I wish I would of put it on a long time ago. I also have a motorcycle so it was not a big switch.

AlaskaSpeed
08-31-2001, 11:59 AM
maybe we can get some more "inteligent" replies from McGrathsucks....figures with a nickname like that.......: ) JIM

AlaskaSpeed
08-31-2001, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AND NO...THEY SUCK ON QUADS

08-31-2001, 12:28 PM
If I raced TT I would use a twist throttle but that would be the only time,,,or if I had my old pissed off polaris 400 back....

oynot400
08-31-2001, 01:13 PM
Rico,
I do race flat track and it is great, I was worried about it on a mx track but I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood). It has worked great on and off the track, I would suggest it for any trail rider. I would guess if you had rode a lot of motorcycle it might be more appealing It just boils down to personal preference.;)

Revin300EX
08-31-2001, 01:25 PM
I bet that McGrath would ride circles around McGrathSucks... Kinda funny...

skull
09-02-2001, 03:01 AM
I've always wanted to try a twist.
motion pro has two different models avalible for the 300ex, I think its the "turbo" and the "vortex". the vortex is supposed to be less twist, for better throttle response.
has anyone tried these out to see the difference?

Revin300EX
09-02-2001, 07:59 AM
Ive got neither one...

I got this crummy one that gets dirt in it all the time and freezes up. My advice? Get the best one they make...

09-02-2001, 09:00 AM
I have the Motion Pro on my 400 and I like it. You have to get used to it. I can get full throttle faster, and i don't have to adjust my grip on hard right hand turns. BUT I also rolled my quad due to an inadvertant throttle blurp on a steep downhill off camber trail. Just watch out a twist throttle can bite you!

09-02-2001, 11:47 AM
hey revin..i bet i'd ride circles around you

desert-rider
09-02-2001, 12:35 PM
All i have ever had was a twist throttle! when i bought my 400 i also bought a motion pro converson kit. Before i put it on i gave the stocker a try. Within the first 10 mins my thumb was sore. i pulled it into the garage and switched it. The twist has actually saved me on a couple of jumps, hit hard on the landing and was flying forward and my hand twisted the throttle and brought the bike back out in front.

my cousin has a blaster with thumb throttle and when he crashed his thumb jammed the throttle and broke his thumb.

all in all there is good and bad about both and once you get use to it, i feel it is the only way to go

Revin300EX
09-02-2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
hey revin..i bet i'd ride circles around you

I doubt it...

09-02-2001, 10:08 PM
yeah,i wouldn't want to be beat by a 300.....i guess you win

NJ250Rrider
09-02-2001, 11:41 PM
I swear by twists,yes they take more skill to handle than thumbs. Why do you NEVER see thumbs on bikes???Hmmmm...must be better.

I have a Gunnar Gasser that I bought in 87,it still works great. It is very well built not like the Motion pro junk. Do they still sell them? Motion pro's and Magura's are all I see available.

Revin300EX
09-02-2001, 11:44 PM
Motion Pro has some nice ones out now...

The one I got is just junk.

BANSHEEadam
09-03-2001, 12:03 AM
yes, as long as you get used to it before attempting anything... like wheelies. (just trust me) i tried it about 5 minutes after pullin it off the truck. bad idea. after a couple days tho i was jumpin rock piles and ridin wheelies like evil kneivel(see my pic, 300ex page 7, last one). but yeah, i would switch to a twist throttle, but if you dont want to go through the money and hastle, try out one of those thumb saver things. ive never tried one but ive seen them in alot of catalogs. bass pro has them i think.

4punksdad
09-03-2001, 07:02 AM
I am a thumb throttle guy when it comes to quads. here is why.

twist throttles work great on bikes..........the reason for this is because with a bike, most of your turning is done by leaning the bike, NOT by turning the bars. Thats why quads, snowmobiles, jetskis etc all come with thumb throttle. The geometry between the rider & the bars changes during every turn. Imagine a hard right or left hand turn with a twist throttle in the woods........kinda tricky.

Of course a twist throttle can & will work on a quad. Its just a matter of preference.

desert-rider
09-03-2001, 09:31 PM
Imagine a hard right or left hand turn with a twist throttle in the woods........kinda tricky.

with a twist throttle you keep your grip full time on a hard right turn and you can accelerate out easy, as opposed to a thumb throttle where you have to reach under with your fingers and pull the throttle and by doing this you loose your grip. the only bad points with a twist are the landing when you jump or on the whoops, and even these are overcome after learning how to use it. my first time with a twist was scarry i felt like i had no control and it was way to sensative. but now it is the least of my worries and the only way to go for me.

Revin300EX
09-03-2001, 10:04 PM
I actually find it easier to do whoops now...

I can keep a firm grip on the throttle and not have it slipping out of my hand.

Nate's96 300ex
09-04-2001, 07:55 PM
I like the twist throttle to but the only problem is this i have a friend with a banshee with a twist and he had it just about pinned in 6th and then all of sudden he lets go and it stays there stuck he pulls it down and everything but nothin works bout 5 miles away from his house with noone around so he shuts her down and luckily my other friend saw him and towed him home

Revin300EX
09-04-2001, 08:23 PM
I think I would be forced to fix that trailside... :devil

Nate's96 300ex
09-05-2001, 05:34 PM
he tried for a half an hour

knighttime
09-05-2001, 10:58 PM
Twist throttles r not for trail ridin quads.

Revin300EX
09-06-2001, 03:40 AM
You know... My friends tell me they would never have one for moto either...

What ARE they for then?

I use mine on tight trails all the time with no problem. You just have to think about what you are doing.