PDA

View Full Version : shock issues with +2 a arms!!! need help

xsr_racing28c
09-01-2004, 08:07 PM
i put some +2 burgards on my 450 r and it seems like it is riding like crap since i did it... the guy told me i could use stock shocks , but the ride is really bumpy and when i push down on the bumper it squats and it rebounds very slowly.....what can i do to the stockers til i get the money for some elkas..???? any help would be appreciated, but i just don't wanna have to invest in aft.market shocks til winter since college just started for me.... give me some tips if you can...thanks, jason

RedRacer44
09-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Hey dude...

My cousin put Burgard a-arms on his 450 also and this is what I did to set up the shocks....

1. took all the preload out of the shocks
2. turned the compression all the way hard (rezzies)
3. turned the the rebound all the way fast (soft)

We just did that and they worked great!

Also, dont torque down on the bolts on the a-arms too much because we accidently did that and the front end would barely move! We just snugged them up after we loosened them and it rides pretty well now.

tamehart
09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
I had +3 standard travel on my 450. The stock front shocks worked well with it. I had to play around with the shocks some. I also tightened the a-arm bolts tight and it was really stiff....maybe check that first.

xsr_racing28c
09-02-2004, 09:06 PM
i appreciate the help guys!!! should i mess with the spring tension at all or leave it and also i am not really knowledgeable about shock adjustment so could you tell me what screws do what.....thanks to all that help, jason

RedRacer44
09-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Ok, basically what ya need to do is turn the screw that is on the shock rezzie all the way hard, it says on the rezzie which way is which. On the bottom screw of the shock, turn it all the way soft and it too shows which way is which. The preload is the adjustment of the spring. You have to get the big jam nut (lack of better word) on top of the spring loose and then you can turn the preload adjustment all the way to the top so that you dont see any more threads. That should make the ride somewhat better, it helped out on my cousins 450R.