PDA

View Full Version : xr400 or Hotcam 2

440ex2001
09-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Which one will give more over all power?

Steve-o 400EX
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
there are probably a million of these if u search, but the XR cam is slightly more agressive than the stock 400ex cam. The Hotcams stage 1 is a bottom/mid cam and the Hotcams stage II (what I have) is a mid/top cam which is how i prefer to run my quad. That is the DL on all three, its basically ur riding style, btw, u will want to up ur compression if u get a hotcam, it will run much better that way.:devious:

400Ex_Rida
09-02-2004, 09:14 AM
I have the stg1 and so does a buddy of mine. I think it is great. It has bottom-mid range benefits great for trails. As for top end the cam did not effect top end at all, if anything it helped it. Same goes for my buddy. Which ever you get i think you will be pleased. Compression and a cam go together well. I wouldnt do one without the other.

hondarider2006
09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
if you plan on keeping your piston stock compression, than get the hot cam stage 1. You might be able to run the xr cam with the stock piston, I believe its a lot like the stage 1 hot cam. If your going with the stage 2 hot cam, get a high compression piston. If you want to stay at a stock bore or not, thats your choice, you don't HAVE to bore it out to get a high compression, but the higher compression will make up for the low end you loose with the stage 2. All and all I would go with the stage II hot cam. I have one, along with a 416 JE 10.8:1 piston and love it. MUCH better than stock;)

440ex2001
09-03-2004, 12:59 AM
I am running a 11:1 wiseco right now I am installing ported nd polished head with the hotcam 2. I have a 440 kit but I dont think I'm going to run it. I have heard that they require to much maintanance. I think a 11:1, P&P head ,hot cam 2 will be a decent setup what do you guys think?

hondarider2006
09-03-2004, 01:18 AM
so its a stock bore, at 11:1?? If I where you....I would look into a JE or Ross 416 piston. I have one, and have had 0 problems with it, motor wise. Had it overheat one time, but that was my fault. Also with the hotcam stg. II its gonna hit the limiter in every gear....even 5th. Get a rev box that will give you a few more rpms. I have a magnum, the first one blew out in like 5 minutes, the warrentied it, and the new one is doing just fine. Starts great everytime, and have no cold starting problems with it.

400Ex_Rida
09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Like Honda said, the 416 je or ross are great. I have a wiesco and i like it, but if i did it over i would get a je or ross. Whatever you do dont get the White Brothers rev box. If your battery isnt fully charged you will never get that thing to start. Same thing with my buddies 400.

Steve-o 400EX
09-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
so its a stock bore, at 11:1?? If I where you....I would look into a JE or Ross 416 piston. I have one, and have had 0 problems with it, motor wise. Had it overheat one time, but that was my fault. Also with the hotcam stg. II its gonna hit the limiter in every gear....even 5th. Get a rev box that will give you a few more rpms. I have a magnum, the first one blew out in like 5 minutes, the warrentied it, and the new one is doing just fine. Starts great everytime, and have no cold starting problems with it.

The stage II hotcam will pull to rev limiter in every gear but 5th, but if u get an aftermarket CDI u must get new valvesprings, just fyi

hondarider2006
09-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
The stage II hotcam will pull to rev limiter in every gear but 5th, but if u get an aftermarket CDI u must get new valvesprings, just fyi

when doing my speed test on pavment....I held it wide open long enough to hit the limiter in 5th, barley but I could feel it cutting out. And btw I have the stiffer valve springs:devil:

400Ex_Rida
09-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX

what about with the stg1?

hondarider2006
09-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 400Ex_Rida
what about with the stg1?

The stage I is a low-mid range cam, it doesn't rev any higher than stock. The stage II is the faster revving cam.

Steve-o 400EX
09-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
The stage I is a low-mid range cam, it doesn't rev any higher than stock. The stage II is the faster revving cam.

True that. :macho