PDA

View Full Version : dual/triple/quad rate springs

hondalover
09-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Ok i have the custom axis dual rate front shocks for my 400ex and i was just wondering if u guys could help me out I see elka's has the quadrate front shocks and stuff out and triple rate rear, is the 3 and 4 spring set up that much of a big difference over the dual rate setups and stuff. im a big guy 260 pounds and love jumping, and i was just wondering if the more springs and stuff are a bigger improvment over the dual rate setup and stuff i have now. I mean with the 4 spring instead of the 2 will it alow of a lot more softer ride for trailriding and stuff then the heavier springs for jumping or with me being heavier like this will they just send me the setups with the heavier springs. Thanks

exboy400
09-05-2004, 03:31 PM
im pretty sure quadrate springs are only made for longtravel shocks so i'd go with triple...only thing is if you start adding springs and such you may need other pieces from axis like the little cups and spacers and such

stocktires
09-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. The quad rates would be a little smoother and a tad softer, but not a huge difference. Crap, you have axis, you have one of the best shocks made.

hondalover
09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah i have axis on my 400ex, but im needing a new set up for the 450r now, and i was not wanting to spend 3 grand on a roll designs setup for the 450r like i did for the 400ex, but i might end up dong it anyway. I was just wondering if there was a big difference between the dual rate axis i got now and the quadrate elkas. I know my axis are the best thing in the world on a motorcross track and i wouldnt trade them i love how my bike handles turns jumps its just awesome, but in the same sense ive been riding a lot of woods too now and its a little harsh on the trails and was wondring if the quadrate would make it softer with the top springs for woods riding and the bottom springs being stiffer for mx and stuff, thanks.

terko440
09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Hondalover, I believe the quadrates are just for more adjustability. On my TCS quadrates, the two springs in the middle(between the sag spring and the big spring) are the same value of spring which would be the same as one longer spring. I chose to get them just to try them. I wouldnt get to caught up in worrying about it or anything because I dont think it would matter which way your went. But of course call a manufacture directly and dont take my word for it. later

boogiechile
09-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by terko440
On my TCS quadrates, the two springs in the middle(between the sag spring and the big spring) are the same value of spring which would be the same as one longer spring.

It may seem that way but that is not the case. When you stack two of the same springs together the rate of the pair is only half the rate of one. For example if they were both 100 lb springs that would mean 100 lbs would compress them 1 inch. when you stack them, each will compress an inch with 100 lbs for a total of two inches. It would only take 50 lbs to compress the stack an inch. So what they do is put a larger crossover in one spring so that you have a 50 lb rate until the first spring reaches the crossover and then the rate changes to 100 lbs when only the second spring is in use after the first has hit the crossover ring. If both crossovers are the exact same size then the spring rate of the two would be 50 lbs instead of 100 lbs for the whole length of their travel, which would be useless unless you needed a softer spring and did not have one available.