PDA

View Full Version : Need your help, shop screwed up cylinder

free_rider20
09-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I blew up the 400EX and had to get a new piston and have the cylinder bored out. I ordered a 416 piston and dropped the cylinder and piston off at the local dealer to be bored out. Well, when picking it up after being finished, they scratched up the cylinder wall when boring and honed it out and now it is too big for the piston. They are saying that I am SOL and will have to buy a new 425 piston. They even tried to sell me one right then for $200. I disagree with these business ethics. I feel that since it was their fault that the cylinder is now too big for the piston i already paid for than they should buy me a new piston and provide free services to re-bore it out to fit the new piston. Am I right or are they right to pretty much tell be im screwed? Thanks for any input.

wilkin250r
09-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Did you give them the piston when you dropped the cylinder off to be bored?

free_rider20
09-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Yes, they had the new piston. We gave it to them when we dropped off the cylinder.

chucked
09-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by free_rider20
Yes, they had the new piston. We gave it to them when we dropped off the cylinder.

they need to give you a new cylinder and bore

free_rider20
09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
That is what they say our other otion is is to pay them $100 to have it shipped off and re-sleeved. I am more in favor of this over a 426 as long as they are going to be the ones paying for it.

440exnacsracer
09-01-2004, 09:09 PM
lol i would be pissed.

K_Fulk
09-01-2004, 09:52 PM
They should at least take your piston and exchange it for a 88mm.

LTandRaptorider
09-01-2004, 10:00 PM
yep, you gave them the new piston, they f'd the bore up... they should fix it, no questions asked. Sounds like they are real a-holes. Maybe you just didn't talk to them using the right words... ;) My motto? screw me, and you'll get it back threefold... :)

free_rider20
09-02-2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah, we tried to stay nice and everything. Next time we go in there if they dont offer to fix it without charging us more, the attitude might change. If they dont fix this i will be sure to see that I tell everyone about their service. BTW, anybody in here from the lafayette, Indiana area?

Ryan
09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
yep, you gave them the new piston, they f'd the bore up... they should fix it, no questions asked. Sounds like they are real a-holes.

Yup. I would demand them to have a new sleeve installed, and bore it back out to a 416. You paid them for their professional service and they screwed it up. They should fix it!

Good luck.

wilkin250r
09-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Take it up the chain of command. When the first guy at the counter says he's sorry, ask immediatly (but nicely) to speak with his manager.

If his manager tells you the same story, ask to speak to HIS manager, on up until you talk to the owner if you have to.

During this entire time, be nice. Don't start yelling and screaming or getting mad. Just keep going up the chain of command. If a supervisor is not in that day, ask when he IS in.

Now, here is a little sneaky part. If you manage to get to a manager that will help you, don't make the first offer. You're probably willing to pay for the original bore job, but it's entirely possible that it will get thrown in as compensation for you inconvenience, and you can possibly walk away with a new bore free of charge.

Aceman
09-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Yep, listen to wilkin.

free_rider20
09-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah, i like your thinking wilkin. Its gonna be at least tuesday before we get a chance to go back in there. I will keep you updated on how things are going.