PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a wrist injurey and went back to ridin after it healed up??

speedy
08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
I broke my wrist about a month ago and it is about to kill me that i havnt been able to ride and i was needing to see if anyone knew what it felt like when you heal up and start riding? is it easy to brake again? Is it bad to put alot of pressure on it from jumps, etc??

400grl
08-31-2004, 09:23 PM
I broke my hand (sort of in the wrist) and it was a b*tch getting it to where it didn't hurt anymore when I rode......what really sucks is only time will make it feel better.......I wore a strong brace and took alot of Ibuprofin for months afterwards.....and sometimes, if I jack it bad enough on a jump or bad landing, it feels like I broke it again........probably not what you wanted to hear, but then there is August, who I think broke both of his wrists at the same time (last year), and he's kicking everyone's ***** in the local Pro class!! :) It probably depends on the break and where it occurred - your age....all that good stuff. You will heal.......just be nice to it for a while! :) ;)

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 09:27 PM
I sprained my wrist pretty bad in a wreck back in January. It bothered me when I rode for a while. Anytime I clipped a tree or a rock I felt it in my wrist. I don't think I gave it the proper time to heal though. A couple extra weeks might make a huge difference in the long run.

lol
08-31-2004, 09:28 PM
yup yup shes right, be nice to it and work it out a bit, i broke both my wrists, the first one was worse, just squeeze a stress ball and you'll be bac up in a few weeks :)

speedy
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Well i broke 4 bones in my wrist and u only have 7 to begin with so they put a plate with 7 screws in it with two pins but the pins and my cast r to be removed in about 3 more weeks and i cant wait.

devildriver422
08-31-2004, 10:00 PM
sprained my right wrist and my thumb pretty bad hittin a table, wore a brace for a couple weeks and then just took it easy riding, hurt for about 2 months, fine now only thing is sometimes my thumb hurts pretty bad if it jams a little but i sprained it like 4 months ago....anyway it hurt like a b*tch doin it n then i had to ride home with my thumb like that...i had to use my left hand for throttle it hurt so bad

400grl
08-31-2004, 10:15 PM
With the plate in there you shouldn't worry about it being weaker than it was....it might be stronger once it's healed properly. With a break that severe....I'd give it plenty of rest....listen to your doctor......it's better to not ride for a little while now and come back with full use of that wrist than to push it too much and hurt it while it's still healing and be gimped up for alot longer......

OneFast440
08-31-2004, 10:22 PM
I have broken my wrist and had a pin placed in it, It was pulled out about a month and a half later and yes I have broken it a couple more times after that but not as bad. After you break any bone in a jointed area you will have problems from then on. I know thats not what you want to here but EVS does make a nice wrist brace to help you get back out on the track with almost no pain. It will help your wrist from flexing back to hard, which is the main cause of most breaks. I have also shattered my ankle and now have 2 pins, 2 screws, and 2 wires holding it in place. Also if you pay close enough attention to my boots you will notice that one is alot bigger then the other or that one of my legs is not full extended... That is because I where a brace that holds my heal off the ground now. Don't mean to scare anyone but in this sport you take a lot of risk in getting hurt and sometimes you might regreat it, I know I think about that alot.

remlapr
08-31-2004, 10:26 PM
I agree with Corry, I broke my wrist\hand pretty bad racing BMX when I was about 16. I could ride again after about 2 months (BMX) but it would start bothering me, or flare up easily for probably a year after that, but it finally got stronger and stopped botheing me. Point is, when you get your cast off, even if the bones are fully healed it's still going to be weak and hurt for awhile probably.

Pvt. Maggot
08-31-2004, 10:41 PM
i broke my wrist a while back..really bad..had to wait 3 days in a brace then had to go get surgery and a cast...well the day after i got my cast..i was out riding..i looked like an idoit..cuz i had one up to my elbow and i had to put my arm a funny way to ride...hah..but yeah..and its always going to hurt..just wait till it rains..and the winter months are a ****** too...but just let it rest up so and get going again :)

Honda4trax250x
08-31-2004, 11:11 PM
im casted right now for a fractured wrist, and fractured thumb. got 2 days left till the cast comes off. im supposed to go riding the next day. Ill see how that goes....

sam the brave
09-01-2004, 05:11 AM
i rode with my cast on

Toadz400
09-01-2004, 06:12 AM
I crashed and f'ed up my wrist, never went into the doctor to see if it's broken but after 2 weeks it just gets worse and worse everyday, I still ride though:D .

SSRedRider
09-01-2004, 06:28 AM
I have broke my wrists 4 times in the last two years (fractures). And its a ******. The wrist braces work well but you will get tired of wearing them. And yes they do break easier than before. Seems like I don't like to let go of the bars when I go over them and the hand guards do the deed. Since, I have lowered the guards, and I watch out for trees and ditches that seem to jump out in front of me. Just to let you all know I am 51 years old and still ride all of the time and race the GNCC series. You just have to suck up the pain and go on. I don't regret it, I don't like it, but I am not going to stop riding because you might get hurt. I am thinking about mounting a bazooka on the bars to blast those trees that jump out in front of me.

lol
09-01-2004, 07:07 AM
hey august can u tell me whats the real name of the song in the baker section on huevos 6

atc250r
09-01-2004, 01:11 PM
i broke my wrist too...just like EVERYONE else.
u'd think that fox or shift or sombody would make a wrist protector for riding.
i would buy one for sure.

bigfoot300ex
09-01-2004, 07:37 PM
i broke my wrist twice in about 6 months
after the first time when i had only had my cast on for like a week
i felt like riding but since i had broken my left arm i couldnt use the clutch
well i rode my dads rancher in the trails around our house
and sure enough on a banked spot i flipped over on the left side
and by instinct i put my left arm down first
i never told anyone about that but that made my arm hurt
most of everyday for about 4 weeks
lesson learned:dont ride when you already have a cast
but the second time i never fell on it and was back riding about a week after i got the cast off

Narly R
09-01-2004, 08:20 PM
I just broke my rist...:mad:

FourFiftyFour
09-01-2004, 08:22 PM
I had hurt my wrist during high school sports so if i ever cased a jump it would kill me, so i started wearing some kind of wrist braces everytime i went to the track, I need new ones so i havent been wearing them lately but it hasnt been so bad bc i usually clear everything at the tracks nowadays

suck my pipe
09-01-2004, 08:26 PM
snaped both bones in half in my right forarm a little above my wrist "full recovery"

A4StrokeGuy
09-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I broke my wrist in 3 places back in april, and to this day it hurts. When i ride or do heavy type of work i wear a solid brace, hard to get used to be it keeps the pain down. I dont really notice it during riding maybe its the adrenaline pumping. I also wear a brace on my other wrist that was not broke, i guess its a pre cautionary measure to make sure it doesn't have again, i can't afford another $3500 medical bil:eek2:

JR3
09-01-2004, 08:58 PM
i broke the SCAPHOID disk in my wrist the doc goes wow thats the hradest bone to break in ur hand 9 weeks in a full arm cast id a rather pf broke my whole wrist its a ****** u jus have to suck it up and i still ride harder then ever as jd would say u jus have to keep on keepin on

BlueZ440
09-02-2004, 08:01 AM
I broke a bone on my right wrist. Now I use a Twist Throttle..

bansheeguy77
09-02-2004, 08:05 AM
i broke my wrist in 3 dif places once had a full arm cast for 8 weeks. it sucked but i still rode the polaris with the cast lol. it will take some time after its off to be good as new. ya just gotta break it in

Ralph
09-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I just broke my wrist recently and its just about healed now just bothers me a little. the biggest problem is after having a strech of bad luck with wrecking i turned into a vagina and ride like a *****

sharkinthepool
09-02-2004, 08:45 AM
I got a buddy that raced dirt bikes and quads, he missed a triple one day on his dirt bike and broke his wrist. Being a construction guy he had to go back to work almost immediately. Two weeks later he cut his cast off and did not go back to the doctor.

He can just barely pull in his clutch now after three surgery's. The doc told him there was nothing he could do! So give it its time to heel so you do not end up like him.:eek2:

bansheeguy77
09-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I just broke my wrist recently and its just about healed now just bothers me a little. the biggest problem is after having a strech of bad luck with wrecking i turned into a vagina and ride like a *****

didnt you always ride like a vagina :confused: :confused:

Ralph
09-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
didnt you always ride like a vagina :confused: :confused:

You would know

crday98
09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
isn't there a product out there that helps you strengthen your wrist and forearm? the local shop had them.it looked like a hand grip with something attached to the top or end of it that had something inside that spun.you had to hold it vertically and spin it in a circular motion.once you got it spinning than you had to swivel it in a sense to keep it going and it gave you a good work out while doing it.i believe it was made by moose or something.

speedy
09-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Well looks like im not the only one who brakes wrist around here:eek2:
2 more week's till i get the cast and pins removed and then its back to riding the ex and might race at the mx track if i feel that i can handel it. :blah:

thax ever one for the help;)