PDA

View Full Version : Browning A5

400exrules
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
My grandpa gave me his Browning A5 12 gauge semi-auto a few years ago, and i really like it. Its in good shape, and as a matter of a fact i used it a few hours ago shooting black birds.

I was just wanderin who else has one, and how can u figure out wut kinda choke its got. They dont have interchangable chokes and most the the A5's i see on the internet, are said to be full's. I was just wonderin cuz dove season opens tomorrow and this will be my first dove hunt with it and i wanna know how my patterns gonna be :D

Pappy
08-31-2004, 08:38 PM
i wish i had an A5

my boss has 5 or 6 of them....and they all preforn excellent.

im pretty sure they are either full or modified but both will do the job on doves with a load of 7 1/2 shot.

good luck....wish i was going tomarrow:macho

Woodsrider
08-31-2004, 08:48 PM
Ive never shot doves with a 12 gauge, is there much left after, or are they just used for target pratice? Out here its pheasant, grouse, chucker and quail. Huns are tastey too:)

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
My dad has a nice 20 gauge A-5. I never liked the humpback design and the recoil operated action is kinda different to get used to. How old is the one you have? The older Belgium Brownings are worth a little more than the ones made in Japan. (I think that is where they were made) Also if it is made for 3" shells there are different rings that need to be added to operate correctly. Having the wrong number of rings will affect ejecting.

Yeah hopefully I'll get out and shoot some doves on Saturday. The Citori is all ready to go.

400exrules
08-31-2004, 08:55 PM
i have used a 20 gauge in the past and it wouldnt leave much left so, its gonna be interesting. Im just scared do use this gun so much and wear it out cuz i saw on some websites that some run from $600-$900 :eek2: . And im gettin worried since today it decided it didnt want to eject the shells anymore...and i had to do it myself.........i hope after a good cleanin it will behave other wise, im screwed, and ima lay it down for rest, and get me a benelli super black eagle II :devil:

EDIT: cletus, i dunno wut year it is, my grandpa just basically handed it to me and didnt tell me much about it. Is there a way i can find out? and how do i see if its belgian or not. Oh, and its a 2 3/4 only im pretty sure.

Pappy
08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
citori...man i feel outclassed with my well worn 11-87:o

sure gets it done tho:devil:

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i have used a 20 gauge in the past and it wouldnt leave much left so, its gonna be interesting. Im just scared do use this gun so much and wear it out cuz i saw on some websites that some run from $600-$900 :eek2: . And im gettin worried since today it decided it didnt want to eject the shells anymore...and i had to do it myself.........i hope after a good cleanin it will behave other wise, im screwed, and ima lay it down for rest, and get me a benelli super black eagle II :devil:

EDIT: cletus, i dunno wut year it is, my grandpa just basically handed it to me and didnt tell me much about it. Is there a way i can find out? and how do i see if its belgian or not. Oh, and its a 2 3/4 only im pretty sure.

we had problem with our 20 gauge A-5 ejecting shells. The A-5's action works off recoil, so sometimes lighter loads won't generate enough recoil to eject the shell. Also our 20 gauge can shoot 3 inch shells but you need to add more rings to the magazine tube in order for it too work. When the rings are added to shoot 3 inch shells it will not eject 2 3/4 in shells.

Pappy
08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
doves hell, i think marylands resident early goose season starts saturday.....thats where ill be:macho

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
citori...man i feel outclassed with my well worn 11-87:o

sure gets it done tho:devil:

yeah the 870 and the 11-87 come out during duck season. there my boat guns. and goose season is in tomorrow. you can kill 8 birds but thats more plucking than i care to do.

bluebaron
08-31-2004, 09:12 PM
whats the diff, between 11-87 , and 1100,

i got a 1100

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules

our a-5 says made in Belgium. it really doesn't matter where it was made they are nice guns.

cletusEX
08-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by bluebaron
whats the diff, between 11-87 , and 1100,

i got a 1100

1100's jam. j/k

there really isn't much. some of the internal parts are different. i don't think parts are interchangeable though.

2001-400ex'er
09-01-2004, 08:31 AM
My dad has any 1100 (i think) and his never jammed, by the way, he bought it in 1972 and it still works fine. I use an 870 for just about everything.