PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this price? OPINIONS NEEDED!

ryanh250ex
08-31-2004, 05:03 PM
ok, i sent my EX and my polaris scrambler 500 2x4 for some work. here's what was done:

250ex:
valve adjustment,
new plug,
new axle assembly (123.05)
oil change (normally do this myself, but since the bike was there i said what the hell)

polaris scrambler 500 2x4:
new plug
1 a-arm assembly (89.95)
1 air filter (24.95)
oil change and oil filter
valve adjustment?

service 250ex: 315.00
service polaris: 245.00

parts total: 259.75 (1 polaris a-arm assy, 1 polaris air filter, 1 polaris oil filter, 3 quarts of 20w50 oil, 1 axle assy for 250ex)

labor total= 560.00

complete total= 819.75 + tax= 868.94

what do you think of this ?

Bill Fuller
08-31-2004, 05:34 PM
:eek2: I would call the police I think you were raped.Where do you live,I would gladly do it for half.Buy a manual and learn to do these little maintainance problems yourself.Valve adjustment=30 min. Axle assembly 30 min hour at most.None of what you described is a complicated project.Just because you spent that much money with them don't think they will respect you more and cut you a deal here and there.Even if they do give you anything look at what they charged you.Man think of what you could have done with $900.:(

310Rduner
08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
That labor is a huge waste of money. It would have taken you 30 mins to put an a-arm on. Come on dude, buy a manual and do it yourself. I can understand leaving something deep in the motor for them to do if you aren't comfortable, but to take 1 part off and put on another??

Aceman
08-31-2004, 05:38 PM
It sounds like you walked in, pulled your pants down and bent over while handing the dealer a bottle of lube.

Seriously, if you take something to a dealer expect to get ripped. If you expect it, it isn't a surprise. One other thing you might of been able to do is haul your quads to the shop and have them give you an estimate on how much it would cost with the estimate broke down into two parts, parts and labor. If the estimate seems high you can try haggling the price down. If you wait till after they fix it, it will be way harder to get them to drop the price. I've never taken anything to the dealership so I don't know if they do estimates but it seems like a good idea to me. Most people don't get their cars fixed without an estimate for good reason, seems like quads should be the same.

ryanh250ex
09-01-2004, 01:05 PM
the sad part is, this was NOT a dealer. this is a shop. Sun Cycle in Manasquan , NJ, to be exact.

i was pretty sure i got ripped. the labor is 75$ an hour, so i paid for 7.5 hrs of labor! this should've been 4 hours! i think i paid them to twiddle their thumbs :mad:

on top of that, they didn't even do all that i asked! they did changed out the axle, a-arm, but they neglected some small stuff that i had asked them to do.

normally, i do oil changes, etc. i messed up my axle in mid-june, and i had neither the money nor the mechanical experience to do it at the time. the polaris is my dad's, and he needed his fixed as well, and since he offered to pick up the tab, i agreed.

at some point, i will buy a polaris manual. i have never done valve adjustments because there is nobody here to show me how to do them. i have a honda 250ex manual, and i think i have a feeler gauge somewhere, but i'm afraid i'll mess it up the first time i do it, and too tight of valves= kaboom. if someone could show me in person, i'd be set.

in the future, i'll be doing my own work, without a doubt.

let this be a lesson for all of you, and stay away from Sun Cycles. :mad:

-Ryan

bansheeguy77
09-01-2004, 03:27 PM
that'll teach ya to do ur own work....any shop will always rip you off. ya live and learn.....

Bill Fuller
09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Anytime you need help adjusting the valves to be afraid to ask.I can't come over and show you but I can explain it.There are many threads about how to adjust by the way.

ryanh250ex
09-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
that'll teach ya to do ur own work....any shop will always rip you off. ya live and learn.....

you can say that again, mike....and to think, this is mechanic #2 that's ripped me off....

bill- thanks. i've seen the threads, problem is i'm not real sure how to read a feeler gauge. i'll get someone to show me in person sooner or later....again, thanks, i really do appreciate it.

Bill Fuller
09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
They are called feeler gauges for a reason,you "feel" it when it's right.There is no dubting you got it when it feels right.If the manual says .005 on the exhaust(example)then you set the tappit with the .005 and tighten everything down.You would then try sliding the feeler(.005)through the gap between the rocker arm and the tappit.It should be snug dragging back and forth.Next try a .006 and if it fits in the gap then try again.When you get the gap at .005 a .006 should not fit.

400exstud
09-01-2004, 08:05 PM
It just depends if you are good in the garage. If you don't have a clue what your doing it was well worth it. If you are a proficiant mechanic you got screwed.