PDA

View Full Version : Overheated??

kargaaro
08-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Last Sunday at a Cross Country/HS race, about a half hour of hard racing and my 450r overheated. White smoke came barrelling out from under the tank and the overflow was boiling over. Not sure what caused it and honestly haven't had the chance to clean it all up and inspect it yet but has anyone overheated yet?? Sucks cause my warranty just ran up a week ago but hopefully it's a minor issue. It didn't lose any power and it fired right up after I shut it off for a while. I'm going through it tonight, any body have any ideas??....waterpump, sensor, plug, carb??? I haven't worked on this powertrain at all yet and I guess I'm trying to use process of elimination.

Madracing2
08-31-2004, 03:19 PM
Is your radiator covered in mud? That would cause it.

08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
did your tempature light not ever come on?

08-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Did you diconnect the key switch? If so you need to connect the Black and Red wires together to make the fan turn on. The green wire and black with a white stripe are for the kill switch hook up.

450 Racer R
08-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey I disconnected my keyswitch and now that I read this I had the same problem yesterday. I also noticed that my fan doesn't turn on anymore. Could you provide more information about putting those wires together? I'm gonna go and check it out now.

08-31-2004, 06:52 PM
The best thing to do is cut the harness off of the switch NOT the main harness. Plug the connector back into the main harness. There is 4 wires Black, Red, Green and Black with a White stripe. The Red and Black need to be spliced together. That makes your fan, lights and carb heater work. If you want to install a kill switch you use the other 2 wires. It doesn't matter which side of the kill switch you hook the other 2 wires to. Just make sure you splice the RED and BLACK wires together. Hope this answers your questions.

kargaaro
09-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Everything is wired up correctly and the radiator was clean. The fan was running but the light never came on. It works cause it usually comes on when you first start it up.

WhiteZee
09-01-2004, 08:01 PM
thats really weird, my fan has never even came on..... you may want to switch to engine ice.

rowlrag
09-01-2004, 09:02 PM
I overheated mine at the Penton GNCC, filled it back up and overheated it again at the 6hr race at Rausch, but i think the problem at Rausch was that i had air in it cause it has a thermost and didn't get the air all out. Since that it still runs awesome!

kargaaro
09-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by rowlrag
I overheated mine at the Penton GNCC, filled it back up and overheated it again at the 6hr race at Rausch, but i think the problem at Rausch was that i had air in it cause it has a thermost and didn't get the air all out. Since that it still runs awesome!

I just changed all the fluids in it. What needs to be done to make sure the air it all out of the system?

Wayne64SS
09-02-2004, 08:20 AM
RUN TEH QUAD TILL IT HEATS UP WITH THE RAD CAP OFF ... SQUEEZE THE HOSES TILL NO MORE BUBBLES COME OUT. MAKE SURE THERMOSTAT IS OPEN AND REPLACE CAP. RUN THE **** OUT OF IT AND SEE IF IT HEATS UP !

MY450R
09-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
thats really weird, my fan has never even came on..... you may want to switch to engine ice.
yeah mine has never come on either i keep thinking its broken or something

Shawn H
09-02-2004, 09:07 AM
When your engine is running take the wire lead off of the sensor near the thermostat and take a wire jumper and ground the wire. Fan should come on and if it dont you have issues,

I had the same problems a month ago and it was the plug at the rectifier was burnt and the rectifier was burnt as well. The plug had come unplugged from the rectifier during a race there was part of a stick between the connector plug to release the plug so it was arcking between the connectors. also the manual has a very good steps for troubleshooting the fan.

Maybe ya have a bad radiator cap but I doubt it. If your cooling system cant build pressure it will overheat too

WOracing
09-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee

it probably has came on but you havent noticed it, its very quiet and i couldnt tell when i was trying to get mine unstuck and i heard the fan...i just shut it off and picked it up and dragged it out, then again it was a 90 degree day in tight woods...