View Full Version : does anybody do the CRF conversion frames>

JDiablo
08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
just wondering if there is anyone that does the 400ex frame modification so you can run the CRF?if so how much would it be....and then what will be needed?whole 9 yards for the motor?anything else....i would like to do this in a year and a half or so,and would just like to gather some info...i heard also the motor will need alot of matience,two pistons a year,valves always have to be check:huh is this true?

jesshamner
08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Arens sells a frame for the crf450. I too have heard that there is a lot of maintaining to do on the crf. Maybe someone with a little more experience can help.

JDiablo
08-30-2004, 09:26 PM
ehh i dun feel like spending 2500 on a frame tho,i wanna no if i can send my frame out to someone that will modify it so it will fit a CRF

TC426EX
08-30-2004, 10:25 PM
JB Racing does more of them than anyone and does a hell of a job for a respectable price. I think its around 400 bucks to get it done by them. East Coast ATV also does the conversion but I think they are more pricey and have a longer turnaround time. JB Racing is definitely who you should call to get it done. Jody will let you know all the details on what you will need, and will hook the frame and motor mounts up for you so youre ready to drop the motor, radiator, etc, etc. in there. I listed his number below, I would give him a call...

JB Racing:

Phone: 814-922-3523

Chef
08-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Dont do the arens deal...all that is is a stock EX frame with some extra tabs and motor mounts. I would have much rather done the JB Racing route if I would have known they just did it for you...

team_450_88
08-30-2004, 10:35 PM
To tell ya tha truth ive had one....They are wicked fast but if u arent willing to spend the money and go all out and get the best frame/suspension and things like that u are gonna waste your money...If u take a 400ex frame and someone does the conversion for you it will not hold...after u drop that motor in and make some mounts and go out and race a couple races u are gonna notice that u are gonna crack the mounts and frame....I dont care how many guessets are put in the bike...a 400ex/crf conversion is very very very hard to maintain and keep running and is very very expensive....U will run into many problems...If u do decide to go with the conversion get a frame and go with walsh racecraft stuff....Dana Creechs crf for example was a nice built crf but it was still very hard to maintain even tho it was built with the best of everything....Thats jus my opion man, I had the conversion and it was soo wicked fast and I killed on it also....lost 1 race on that thing outta like 8 and after 8 races i noticed it was way to much work and was falling apart but was very very fast...now I got a 450r and im lovin it just as much accept it dont have all the parts i want yet but they are coming and i hope to have it fully built like the crf quad by winter time.....oh yea if u go with the 450r there is a difference in power...the crf is alot stronger but the 450r will do jus as good with a je 13:1 piston, webcam and some port/polish on the head and titanium valves also maybe....jus think about it before u do it....;)

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 11:48 AM
yea i hear you guys....so i should do a aftermarket frame? and yes i will get the best possible setup,being the protrax front end,or the roll design lobo 2,and peps....i will do this conversion instead of buying another quad....word

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 12:56 PM
Ya man lets see that thing when u finish there isnt nothing more purdy than a custom build crf450 quad...WORK OF ART !! :D

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
well this will be prolly in two winters,right as the summer ends,that thing is being ripped down,saving hte parts i can reuse,powdercoat/chrome then,and then send my frame out to get some work done,or just buy one,im nto sure on that yet tho...and then let the fun begin:macho

TC426EX
08-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Hell yeah man!! The Laeger Pro Trax is the BEST front end setup ever. You just cant beat those spindles, bind free pivots, and extra beefy construction!! Definitely get that over the roll design if you can, and good move on going with PEP's... If you get your stock frame modified, go with JB like I said, and if you go aftermarket there is one choice...... WALSH. That thing is gonna be sick i cant wait to see it...

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 03:21 PM
ehh fck it,ill go walsh frame,laeger protrax +3 front end,wiht the best set of PEP's(only reason imma get htem is because this project will take awhile,and hell ill get them)how narly are the laeger swingers tho?if they arent imma go with the roll design lobo two rear end...cr 500 no link suspension?can i do that or only on 250r geomotry based frames?ehh word to this project

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 03:45 PM
smart choice with the walsh frame.....bad idea to go with stock...Cant use the cr500 rear shock linkage with the 400ex geometry frame I dont believe !! IT WILL BE SICK !!

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
ahh i just checked out the 450 from that walsh makes,it is based on the 250r geometry so im good there....only thing is 30 big ones.....yikes i better start saving now:eek2:

CTmxyfz
08-31-2004, 03:50 PM
if you want the best. GO WALSH!

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 03:52 PM
ok imma go with walsh frame,but damn for 3grand you think they would at least include a damn subframe...anyway what REAR END should i get...to go with the protrax front end?

yfzracer220
08-31-2004, 04:21 PM
I would say go with Walsh everything. I have his front end and stem, and I'm saving for his swingarm. Just my .02

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
WALSH is high quality stuff....I think its the best stuff out !!

lil400exman
08-31-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
ehh i dun feel like spending 2500 on a frame tho,i wanna no if i can send my frame out to someone that will modify it so it will fit a CRF

a arens frame can be used with a 400ex and a crf motor. and its only 1,750 and its one of the best frames in the business!;)

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 04:56 PM
like someones already said arens is maily a stock frame with more support and motor mounts...I just think if your gonna put money in a bike and keep that bike for awhile buy the best of the best!!

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 04:57 PM
:D 250r geometry is better also !! I had the crf450/400ex conversion and just had way to many problems..the bike was fast like i said but alot of $$ and dnf's !!

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 05:01 PM
ok,now with the walsh frame....how much fabication will be needed for all the parts to work?umm and i buy 250r parts right?swinger,axle,arms,etc,etc?

CTmxyfz
08-31-2004, 06:02 PM
correct. Just buy all of it from walsh. They are backed up on making the frames at this moment though seeing they are handbuilt in a jig by the walsh race craft crew. Such great quality, it beats all others. High demand for them frames at the moment too.

khj
08-31-2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.atvconnection.com/editor/racing/feature/techtip/chassis.htm

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 08:51 PM
this is for a crf450 dirtbike engine:o

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
no fab. will be needed to put the engine in the walsh frame its built to hold the engine...everything 250r should fit !!

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 08:55 PM
i no that,i read like lil BS parts like master cylinder chits had to be made blah blah blah,and that you have to machine the axle over...but wait that was on a 400ex converted frame,so everything should line up right>?

416exmx
08-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Walsh stuff is the best. CRF powered quads rip. the sad but simple truth is that if you build this walsh crf and get done and have say $20,000 in it. you can figure it being worth about $12,000 before you ever ride it and $10,000 after your first couple hrs worth of riding. i cant believe the price drop these quads have taken. i hate it, i really do but i guess things are heading in the right direction and the factorys are getting back into it.

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
yup as long as u use the 250r parts !!!

team_450_88
08-31-2004, 09:00 PM
yea u might be better off selling ur quad and buying one of 416exmx's quads cause ur gonna lose alot when u build that thing and decide one day to sell it !!:(

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 09:02 PM
ehh idk maybe,i would like the learning expierence tho,and ill prolly have that quad for a couple of years cause then ill be a JR when i prolly start building it...but hey 416exmx...with the CRF made specially for the motor,will i have to do any maching of the axle like on the 400ex converted frame>:confused:

416exmx
08-31-2004, 09:12 PM
the axle mod is optional with any frame. i dont know about a 250r geometrey frame though. i have seen several where the sprockets dont line up though..

anyway, not trying to talk you out of the project, but be prepared to loose some cash. but it would be a kick *** bike when it was done.

your best bet is to buy a used CRF quad and just tear it down, clean everything, new bearings/seals, new powdercoat, shock service, and maybe freshen up the motor. you will spend 2k on the the quad redoing it and you can customize for you (plastic, colors, shock valving).

anyway, yeah buy a used one for say $7500, spend $2000 on it and you will have a great quad and you wont loose NEAR as much.

man, i ought to get paid for releasing my knowledge!

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 09:15 PM
hey you just might as well get paid sooner or later....hey if i buy a quad from you do you accept monthly payments?:devil:

416exmx
08-31-2004, 09:22 PM
no i dont take payments, sorry.

i doubt i have and used CRF's anytime soon. i'll prob be getting a few 400ex's and i am going to deal in YFZ and TRX's. if i do get a CRF i guarentee it will be cheap because i am not going to put much in them.

JDiablo
08-31-2004, 09:25 PM
i meant not like i get it and pay you off....like i send you the money until i have enough to buy it(otherwise all that money would go somewhere else)lol

Ex_Rider43
09-01-2004, 11:26 AM
I know that RP evolution here are making conversion for 1000 $ and it includes the pc and all the gusseting I think.

I want to do this with my 400 too in a 1 year or 2 just like you 300exrida.

but I just want to know if these motors are reliable... checking valves and changing the oil is no big thing but rebuilding it twice a year is.

let me know guys.

team_450_88
09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Depends how much you ride it and how hard u ride it when u do....2 times a year isnt much if u race alot...

Ex_Rider43
09-01-2004, 01:48 PM
15 race event in the summer season.... I doubt the motor is so fragile:rolleyes:

JDiablo
09-01-2004, 02:04 PM
ahhh why do the best quads have to be so god damn hard to build:o

team_450_88
09-01-2004, 02:12 PM
lol cause the best quads must be BUILT/CUSTOM.....but I had a crf450 and got 8 races and like 15 practices on the motor and never needed rebuilt but i sold it after that !!

lil400exman
09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by team_450_88
like someones already said arens is maily a stock frame with more support and motor mounts...I just think if your gonna put money in a bike and keep that bike for awhile buy the best of the best!!
if its basically a stock frame how has it held up so well compared to all the others? i mean honestly dont be running your mouth until you know the whole scope. i mean sure walsh is good. but is it worth 2-3 times the amount that everyone else is charging? is arens crappy? no matter of fact his frames are actually rated over walsh. again im stating facts.Walsh is just name. if mike walsh crapped in a bag put his logo on it and said put this on your quad cause it will make you go faster most of you would. i mean honestly a 1,750 is just as strong as a 3,000 dollar frame. i mean whatever you get you will be good. and with a arens frame he claims as a direct bolt up. call john before you decide.:rolleyes:

Cody_300ex
09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
ahhh why do the best quads have to be so god damn hard to build:o

finally ur yankee ***** came to your senses! Remember me telling you about my friends 75 HP crf??? Thats exactly how u should set urs up.

Chef
09-01-2004, 05:39 PM
My arens frame looks like someone used a torch and a coat hanger to weld it. There could be 3 or 4 lbs lost if the welds were worth a $hit. Sure, robotic welders, blah blah, they obviously arent worth the hype if they did the welding on this thing. Its a bolt up if you make a curved carb to motor intake, and that isnt right. My motor wouldnt even run with an intake like that because it wouldnt get enough fuel. The chain doesnt line up either, its the width of a sprocket off! Its not even chromoly. The sawzall cut through it like butter. I was also told it was powdercoated but if you look at it wrong the paint chips off. Looks to me like he gets a stock honda frame, moves one bar, welds some extra tabs on (Crooked, might I add) and lazers his little star into the front cross piece and calls it great.

team_450_88
09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
if its basically a stock frame how has it held up so well compared to all the others? i mean honestly dont be running your mouth until you know the whole scope. i mean sure walsh is good. but is it worth 2-3 times the amount that everyone else is charging? is arens crappy? no matter of fact his frames are actually rated over walsh. again im stating facts.Walsh is just name. if mike walsh crapped in a bag put his logo on it and said put this on your quad cause it will make you go faster most of you would. i mean honestly a 1,750 is just as strong as a 3,000 dollar frame. i mean whatever you get you will be good. and with a arens frame he claims as a direct bolt up. call john before you decide.:rolleyes:

wut chef said BOI !!

JDiablo
09-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
finally ur yankee ***** came to your senses! Remember me telling you about my friends 75 HP crf??? Thats exactly how u should set urs up.

man i don't remember any such thing....mine will be a 10000 HP beast tho:p

Ex_Rider43
09-01-2004, 09:01 PM
I saw a brand new arens 250r frame and god its very nice I think. you maybe got a ****ty one though:confused:

lil400exman
09-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Chef
My arens frame looks like someone used a torch and a coat hanger to weld it. There could be 3 or 4 lbs lost if the welds were worth a $hit. Sure, robotic welders, blah blah, they obviously arent worth the hype if they did the welding on this thing. Its a bolt up if you make a curved carb to motor intake, and that isnt right. My motor wouldnt even run with an intake like that because it wouldnt get enough fuel. The chain doesnt line up either, its the width of a sprocket off! Its not even chromoly. The sawzall cut through it like butter. I was also told it was powdercoated but if you look at it wrong the paint chips off. Looks to me like he gets a stock honda frame, moves one bar, welds some extra tabs on (Crooked, might I add) and lazers his little star into the front cross piece and calls it great.

donny- i cant exactly say i've heard this. arens weld were top-notch.........i guess your the 1st to say it. i mean i have only one other bad thing about a arens frame and the PC color was too light for his liking. His frame is one of the toughest on the market also. tougher than a walsh!

Team_450-
LOOK WHAT RACERS SAY BOI:rolleyes:

Lethalhonda2
09-02-2004, 06:55 AM
I had nothing but problems with my Arens frame too. Everything from motor mounts,steering stem,subframe,swingarm ect. You name it I probably had to customize it! After a few calls and E-mails, John did back up his product and sent me a new frame. So if you have problems get ahold of John he will take care of you. Just remember these are custom quads and things dont always go together like a stock machine.Ohh ya if you get a Arens frame get it powder coated yourself,mine flaked off with my fingernail!:huh

Chef
09-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Team_450-

I'm a racer...:blah:

team_450_88
09-02-2004, 02:55 PM
donny- i cant exactly say i've heard this. arens weld were top-notch.........i guess your the 1st to say it. i mean i have only one other bad thing about a arens frame and the PC color was too light for his liking. His frame is one of the toughest on the market also. tougher than a walsh!

Team_450-

LOL yea I read wut chef said......and wut the other guys said...yea maybe he does back his product thats a good thing but some ppl would rather not deal with all the problems in the first place....tell me where u read that arens was better than WALSH.....BOI...:huh ...............oh yea I race mx and ive had a crf450 quad..I had no experiance with the arens frame tho so I cant say a whole lot but ive seen them and heard about them!!

lil400exman
09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by team_450_88
LOL yea I read wut chef said......and wut the other guys said...yea maybe he does back his product thats a good thing but some ppl would rather not deal with all the problems in the first place....tell me where u read that arens was better than WALSH.....BOI...:huh ...............oh yea I race mx and ive had a crf450 quad..I had no experiance with the arens frame tho so I cant say a whole lot but ive seen them and heard about them!!
i have seen them hold up to very very tough conditions in local XC races around here. i pseronally dont pound my quad so i dont need the strength of a after-market frame. but i did re-weld and gusset the entire frame. matter of the fact is with a good rider and motor that doesnt vibrate (that will kill any frame) the frame should hold up. now if a rider consistanly comes up short catches on trees, blown shocks etc. any frame will go quick.

and chef-dont lie to me:blah: :macho u need to get online more nowdays!

chewbaka
04-17-2006, 09:09 PM
where can i buy a crf conversion kit for my 400ex?
i only need motor bracket

figair
04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
John, you know what Im gonna tell you to do....:D
Conversion all the way,just make sure JB does it.Youll know its done the right way.
Also,I have to add this, one of my buddies also has a JB 400ex conversion w/yz motor and he kicks *** on that thing hes been racing it for 2 years now and he has not had any problems,But like the guy said earlier,if your gonna come up short ,slam into trees,not service you shocks,etc...any frame is gonna crack..
Just my 2cents:D
LONG LIVE THE HYBRIDS

250xridamatt
04-18-2006, 05:10 AM
And this thread is two years old.

figair
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
OH ya it is....dooohh :rolleyes: