PDA

View Full Version : stock jetting problems?

Martin Blair
08-30-2004, 09:18 PM
Well i went for first ride today and rode about 2 hours total. I have to say this 450 is awsome, it rips alot faster then 400ex. Im working on shcoks to try to keep the nose down, and i am getting a 13t front sprocket. But i had a question. It is all stock with airbox lid on and when it gets hot it seems to pop and like "miss" on the bottm when revved in any gear or in nuteral. Is there a problem with the stock jetting do i need to change it? And could gas affect this? Knowing the dealers arround here they just put regular, 87 octane, in it and it needs 91+. If they put regular in it would it cause this? I am leaning toward gas because it seems to knock a bit when hot as well, some im draining the tank and switch it out tommorw. Other then the gearing and possible fuel problems this thing rips, i love the power from bottom to top. And are there any tips to help keep the front end down? I got it to only wheelie about 4 inchs instead of mad crazy coming out of corners.

Martin Blair
08-31-2004, 09:36 PM
dont just look i know someone has a response

WhiteZee
09-01-2004, 07:57 PM
i would try the 93 octane gas. i dont know why you are wheeling real badly, mine never comes up. i have 13/39 gearing, so you would think mine would. you may not be sitting up far enuff, i sit with my knees in the groves on the tank.

if the 93 octane gas doesnt fix it, try adjusting your air/fuel screw. its on the front of the carb, kind of inside of a little medal crown. turn it in all the way, then turn it out 1.5 to 2 turns.

Martin Blair
09-01-2004, 08:52 PM
I switched the gas out to 91 i cant get 93 arroudn here just race gas, i dont think thats a problem as 91 works fine on a 10.8:1 400 and this is less comp and liquid colled

If it is like missing on the lowend what wrong with the jetting to lean pilot or to rich?
It almost like there a lill water getting in it its acting like that but i know theres nothing in the air box/ boot/ filter/ carb at all. Also it is brand new could the carb just need cleaning from assembly dirt? and will break in help?