PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride the new Grizzly?

MOFO
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
A buddy of mine just bought one a week ago. It was in the shop for 3 days after he bought it though. He said it had a bad bearing somewhere in the new tranny. But the dealer fixed it and all is good.....(out of the 10 he sold, this was the only problem he has seen with them)

Anyways, I got a chance to take it for a spin tonight. VERY nice quad for its class. Good throttle response, the ride is second to none (with the new IRS), great 4wd selection...including fully locking front differential.

One strange thing I noticed is that the rear disc is mounted on the rear drive shaft. There seems to be some clatter and requires good amout of brake pressure to lock those rear tires up when slowing her down from high speeds....

All this for the same price as a Rubicon....If you ask me, Honda has their work cut out for them in the "Big Boys" utility class.

<Note> I know this should have been posted under the "Other quads section" But I figured it would get a better responce here :)

Anyone have opinions on this new beast?

Eric

08-30-2001, 09:13 PM
I rode one. My friend bought one a few months ago. Nice machine. I rode the thing hard and it really handled well. Jumps were not a problem. The top speed is said to be in the 69 mph range but I could only get 64. Not bad for a big, heavy 4x4. I give it a 2 thumbs up!

Nausty
08-30-2001, 09:46 PM
I wish i had a chance to ride one. So far i don't really like 4x4's but i've only driven a arcitic cat 250 4x2 that was kinda junked out so i don't really know.

08-31-2001, 07:09 AM
I haven't rode one of the new 660 grizzlies but I rode a 98 grizzly and the thing sounded like it was gonna blow up when ya put the hammer down,,,it was winding out like a dang 2 stroke,,I didn't really care much for it,,but I'm sure that's not a problem with the new one. If I was to get a 4x4 it would be a sportsman 500,,,I've rode a few of them and they are a trully sweet 4x4,, and they might be coming out with a 700 model..

2000ex
08-31-2001, 07:35 AM
I have taken the new Grizz for more than a few rides. Initial impressions were VERY quick for a big 4x4. It is an auto and was pulling the front tires off the ground! But the good comments end there. This thing handled like a wet sponge. I thought I was going to roll it several times, almost feels like you are floating on a pillow. I know it probably takes some time getting used to it, but I will stick to the 400 thank you.

400ex Magnum
08-31-2001, 07:53 AM
I have seen a few on the trails and they really look sweet. ATV Television did a show on riding the new grizzly at the Hatfield-McCoy trails. It is a two part show with the first part airing this week and the second part next week. ATV television is on The Outdoor Channel if any of you get this. The new grizzly looked really good and even the show host liked it and he tends to be very biased toward Honda.

MOFO
08-31-2001, 10:46 AM
2000ex,

I know what you mean by the bad handling. Most of that is due to the IRS. Its a fake feeling, just takes time to get used to it. The dealer told him to firm up the rear suspension, that will take alot of that feeling out. For being 600lbs, its not that bad at all :) If I were to buy a 4x4 quad, this is the one I would buy.

Eric

Revin300EX
08-31-2001, 01:29 PM
Anyone ride the new Grizzly?

Oh no... We dont DO that here! :blah

canadian400ex
08-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Anyone know how the new Grizz compares to the KVF650? One of my buddy has the Grizzley and another bud has the 650, but they haven't been out together yet. When they line up I'll let you know how it goes... If anyone cares.

MOFO
08-31-2001, 02:37 PM
The only time I rode the Kawi was at the dealership in the parking lot. I can tell you the Yammy will give a nicer ride and has more ground clearance due to the IRS. It would be an interesting race though. One thing I DO like better about the Kawi is the sound of the exhausts....sounds alot better...kinda like a V-twin ;) (yes I know it IS a v-twin, but you know what I mean) :)

Eric

Revin300EX
08-31-2001, 02:50 PM
Does the Kawi have dual exhaust?

trx400ex
08-31-2001, 08:14 PM
it doesnt have duel exhasut...do they do good in the mud???

canadian400ex
09-01-2001, 11:08 AM
When you pull in the differental lock lever the kawi goes through a ton of mud. (this guy also had 27inch mud bugs installed on it) I haven't seen a totally stock one in any mud yet but I've heard they are really good in the mud.

4punksdad
09-03-2001, 05:44 AM
the new dirt wheels mag has a shootout between the kawasaki & yamaha. They rate the kawasaki better in most conditions.

09-03-2001, 07:52 AM
I've owned the new Grizz for a little over a month now and let me tell you it is one heck of a machine. It dusts my Rubicon in most situations, it is smooth riding and has gobs of power for a big boy. If Honda can come out with a machine like this and put in their tranny now we would be talking incredible.:devil

09-04-2001, 12:29 PM
400ex magnum what channel is the outdoor channel?