PDA

View Full Version : Oops -- grenaded motor!

FatBoy Racing
08-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Well, on a ride last week my piston stopped moving, which is usually a bad thing. Motor locked up while on a ride, and kicker would not move. This discovery came at the 10 minute mark of the ride from my property. I also discovered a 10 minute ride out is equivalent to a 90 minute walk back home. Fortunately it was only 90 deg out that day, a bit cooler than temps have been lately around here.

Anyways, got the motor opened up saturday morning and got good news and bad news.

Good News! The piston and cylinder are fine, no problems, no need to remove/rebore/blahblahblah.

Bad News -- The bolts that hold the cam sprocket to the cam had come loose. Looks like for a while, the cam rubbed against the right side of the valve cover, throwing a pile of thin aluminum shavings all over the place. But wait! There's more! After distributing aluminum confetti throughout my motor, the bolts finally came out all the way, and the cam went for a ride - - - straight down. The cam lodged itself within the cavity alongside the cylinder and the extra slack in the chain bunched up and locked up -- but that didnt stop our mighty little engine! Our hero expressed that a runaway sprocket and a wimpy little chain was not enough to delay progress any longer, and promptly snapped the chain and took out no less than 3 teeth from the lower sprocket (the crank, I believe?). At some point, a part of the case casting which acts as a stopper or guide for the front plastic cam chain guide got itself in the way since progress again is more important, that part of the casing was quickly snapped off and cast aside like a stepchild. As every motor has its limits, this is where our motor had enough, locked up and quit.

As best I can tell, the problem lies with my installation of the HRC cam. I clearly recall using loc-tite on the bolts, and if anything, I used too much, or I used the wrong type. I'm pretty sure I used the removable loc-tite -- so probably my bad there. I'm flushing the motor with diesel and sifting out the wreckage with panty hose to make sure I get all the pieces out -- hopefully I won't have to split the cases, but I'll know for sure when I have all the pieces accounted for. At this point I would have almost rather a ring cut loose and seized it, but I'll take the punches as they come.

Anyhow -- I 'spose lesson learned here -- use permanent loctite on the cam sprocket bolts when changing that cam!

Have fun and wish me luck!

Syrus
08-30-2004, 06:25 PM
lol that was the most entertaining thread ive read all week, gl with the motor, im guessing warrenty wont help you with this one ?

08-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Thats a real bummer. If I were you I would do the crank so you don't have to take it a part again.

FatBoy Racing
08-30-2004, 08:09 PM
oh damn, is that sprocket with them busted teeth the crankshaft? I won't have a puller to remove the flywheel for a better look until later tonight, but I was hoping/praying that sprocket behind the flywheel was removable from the shaft.

:(

08-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
lol that was the most entertaining thread ive read all week, i agree...good luck & theres the reason why i dont mess with engine internals

Ralph
08-30-2004, 08:34 PM
ummm,,, how permanent is permanent loc tite....?

rowlrag
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I hope you post all your problems in the future, as that was an awesome explanation LMAO, sorry bout yer luck tho:(

FatBoy Racing
08-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
ummm,,, how permanent is permanent loc tite....?

hopefully more permanent than the two months I got out of the crap I used last time :rolleyes:

dhines
09-01-2004, 07:03 AM
I hate to hear about your engine, but for what it's worth, I've always used blue loc-tite (removable) on my cam bolts and have never had a problem. Did you make sure you cleaned the oil off and used a torque wrench when you installed them?

Pappy
09-01-2004, 07:08 AM
man it really sucks for you but the way you told the story made me spit coffee:p

keep us posted on the rebuild!

jeepnrocks
09-01-2004, 07:20 AM
man sorry about your motor but thanks for telling the story like that :)

Syrus
09-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
man it really sucks for you but the way you told the story made me spit coffee:p

keep us posted on the rebuild!

hahah i thought i was the only one that found the humor in that thread lol

FatBoy Racing
09-01-2004, 03:58 PM
If I cant light the spark plug, I may as well brighten somebody else's mood. No sense having a poor attitude through this mess. Besides, in the years I've been riding, the worst I've experienced so far is a siezed piston on an old 2-stroke, normal stuff, so I suppose I'm about due for something like this as I think I've been somewhat lucky until now.

I guess I'll get to split the cases to get the crank out to have it rebuilt. I'm a little worried about the chunk of the case that may have to be repaired, but I'll post a pic for opinions when I get a chance. A buddy of mine has learned to do a pretty bang up job of polishing motor parts and such, so I'm sending him the head, cylinder, side cover and whatever else that's aluminum to him so he can make 'em like mirrors. :D

I do have a couple items that I am hoping some of you may be able to assist with in the interim;

1-- Got a recommendation for who to send the crank to?
2-- Tips for splitting the cases (and reassembly)
3-- Cylinder looks perfect, so I'm going to re-use the piston and leave it alone for now. Will I only need to replace the rings? If the cylinder looks that clean is there any need to hone it or just let it fly with new rings?

Thanks!

86atc250r
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Get a service manual if you don't have one --- it will have detailed procedures for splitting the case and getting things back together right the first time.

Good luck.

BTW --- when you loctite'd the cam bolts, did you make sure to clean as much oil off the threads as possible? Loctite and oil don't like each other much.

FatBoy Racing
09-01-2004, 04:22 PM
yeah, I cleaned 'em up with simple green and dried with a shop rag as well as the cam and other parts up top. This is how I normally do it. I am left to assume that either I used too much, or it was because I used removable loctite as opposed to permanent. I did not have a way to torque the bolts at the time (allen heads), so I used german torque. So I know if anything they were a little over torqued. Also the loctite was some offbrand goop that I've since discarded.

i have a service manual that shows it pretty good, I was just looking for insight ( . . . "look out for . . .") that the manual may not have covered.

thanks!

450r_rider
09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
:( :D

I feel for ya man. But the way you tell the story you pretty much must have life down pat. Roll with the punches and keep on going!
I had Honda put the HRC kit so it would be covered under warranty. I usually like to do my own mechanics but been tied up with work and thought I would be lucky to ride let alone wrench. Bought the extended warranty since I bought the bike so cheap at Abernathy's. Extended warranty is nice but now I want to throw on one of the big bore kits and I guess i need to wait or lose the warranty money if something happens. Damn** if you do and damn** if if you don't. Anyway thanks for the laugh in way you told the story and sorry bout your luck. If you ever come out this way ridin' PM me. I would enjoy riding with somebody with a sense of humor like yours.

GOOD LUCK WRENCHIN' !

FatBoy Racing
02-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Finally up and running again as of today! Had to replace cracked case half, crank, and a variety of small parts that blew apart. During the rebuild, added steering damper, new bars, GPS mount w/power and added a cig lighter under the hood, X-Factor nerfs, kill switch, eliminated the key and relocated temp light, swapped out to k&n filter/adapter, and my neighbor mirror-polished my valve cover, clutch cover and brake reservoir cap. Looks really trick so far and much more to come. We'll polish the head and cylinder when the weather turns hot again. Break-in was a breeze, and settled on jetting for the FCR with a 145 pilot and 185 main -- we're cookin' again and I'll be ready for our trip to Dumont Dunes next week (leaving wednesday night) -- His ATC250R was blown too from last year and we're both giddy as all get out about having our rides back together and the coming Dumont trip.

Just thought I'd share my joy -- have fun!

twisted threads
02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Have fun at the dunes and THROW some sand for me!!!!:D

beak7707
02-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Great post and I'm glad you have your quad running again. Hope you have a good trip to the dunes!

culookn
02-13-2005, 03:29 PM
post of pics of that motor man. of whatss left anyway.