PDA

View Full Version : keep throwing chain! help

2ltrmirage
08-30-2004, 06:14 PM
im just getting into mx , ive raced about 10 races now and no problems until this weekend.

my chain isnt to tight or to loose, but 2 times this weekend when i landed a decent sized jump my chain came off.

what do i need to do so this stops happining? i can get it back on and its fine, but im scared that everytime i jump it may do it agian.

heres another thing i cant figure out, and its driving me crazy.

i adjust the chain and it will be equil on the little marks, but the adjuster bolt thing on the left side of the quad seems to hang out a little past the part of the swing arm it sets agianst. in order for me to get it to set in, the marks on the other side will be way off. so i get the marks equil and and just deal with the one hanging out cause i cant figure it out. i tighten everything realy good and go ride. as i ride after a few laps i notice that the right side adjuster marks arent lined up with the left side anymore. somthing keeps moving and i cannot get the left side to set right.

i have a race comming up and cant figure this out for anything.

redrider9045
08-31-2004, 05:39 AM
hey man i dont know really the problem but i had a 300ex and every time i came around a corner and spun to much my chain would pop off and i landed a table top and my chain came off again happend many times but i found out that the carrier bearings were craked and the carrirer im talking about the swingarm were the axle inserts my carrier was cracke to got a new one and never happend again also there to diffrent machines but that mighjt do it

daddio
08-31-2004, 07:29 AM
sounds like bad bearings, or look real close at your swing arm for any lines that look like someone wrote on it with a pencil. if you find some, your swingarm is cracking.

JHF219
08-31-2004, 09:39 AM
I think its your bearings going out again!! just my opinion :( it sucks this keeps happening you have had that thing apart a lot lately. as far as cracks go im really doubting its cracking again already if so then it is time for you to save the money and get an aftermarket swinger. ONe other possibility is that the axle is in such bad shape and wobbley that it is throwing the chain also causing the premature wear of the bearings.

Later,
John

LaSalleKid
09-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Sounds to me like your rear shock it too soft. "Tighten" it up more so that its alot harder to push in. I would think it breaking repeatedly after landing on jumps it might 'stretch' the chain out justttttt enough to sling it off.

Your chain might just be to weak for the power that you have. Chains get alot of wear and tear put on them during riding and racing, especially MX.

I could be wrong it just might have something to do with the swingarm as well. Check it all out and let us know what it is.

woodsracr940
09-06-2004, 07:41 AM
i hade the same problem with my rear end shifting, an the marks not lining up. I tore it completely apart an inspected all the bearings, and bolts. I regreased everything an put it back together an tightened alll to spec's. I havent had any probs since and the only thing that i could think of was that somethin jus wasnt lined up straight. Well that's my 2 cents on it/

MY450R
09-07-2004, 09:50 AM
check your swingarm bearings
that will def make your adjuster screw up