PDA

View Full Version : ATV lights

trx300ex rider7
08-30-2004, 03:04 PM
I want to take my stock headlight out and put some small mini lights on there. What do I need to do so that it will all work right.

2001300exguy
08-30-2004, 03:20 PM
i was thinking about doing the same thing try and get some picks when ur done

03EX
08-30-2004, 05:52 PM
I cant get my pics on yet but I took 1" alum angle and cut it 7 1/2"
long 1 for each side and mounted them to the top shock bolt "nut side" facing out towards the middle of the fenders and bought 4" round lights at WallMart and mounted them 1" from the top of the angle. they are 55 watts . I hooked them to the high beam wire, trust me you dont need high and low they are plenty bright enough and I havent had any trouble with the wire getting HOT I kept checking it . I also cut my fenders sorta like a 400ex so it looks cooler. they kinda look like a honda version of the YZF450!
If I could get my card reader working I would show you a pic.!

400exdad
08-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Madmatt300ex and I hated the big square headlight, so for Christmas last year we found some street bike halogen lamps and made a bracket for them. While the lights were half price of the "real" ones, I have had my share of problems with them. I finally have them "trail tough". Heres a pic. BTW, they have a much broader light pattern than the stock light.

400exdad
08-30-2004, 08:19 PM
With the light now gone, I made this too:

trx300ex rider7
08-30-2004, 08:36 PM
What did you do to take the stock headlight out. And where did you wire the new ones in to.

400exdad
08-31-2004, 06:52 AM
I left all of the old wires and plugs in tact and they are tucked as neatly as possible under the plastic under the steering stem. All of the supports for the headlight housing are removable. To keep it simple, I simply plugged the new lights into one of the connectors on the original headlight plug. Unforturnately, they only work on low beam, so I may put a jumper between the high and low beam to reduce confusion. (3M connector). So, basically, only one wire goes to the new lights and of course a ground to the frame near the lights.

skysolo16
08-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Baja Designs is a really good place to find lighting systems.

FatBoy Racing
09-01-2004, 08:38 PM
hey that looks great, I got a friend who wants to do something similar, can you post a close up of your setup from the side or back?

Thanks!

440ex2001
09-01-2004, 11:05 PM
I just got finished installing lights on my 400. I bought some driving lights from wal-mart and then took the brackets off and bolted them behind my bumper using my bumper mounting screws. The aim right through the openings on either side of my bumper. It looks pretty good. I wired mine by routing a fused hot wire from my battery up to the front of the quad and into an after market switch. Then I used 3m splicers to splice the 2 wires from the light together then ran it to the switch. I did the same thing to the grounds and grounded them to the frame.The lights are very bright white.