PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Plug: Gone!

BUCK442
08-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Was out riding this weekend with ol Foutch and we were racing around a flattrack style oval in the woods when all of a sudden smoke started blowing from my motor. I first thought it overheated due to the extreme air temp of the day but I found it to be oil on my head pipe and oil container. Further inspection revealed a whole in the motor just above the head pipe. After a few hours a fashioning a tow rope out of tree saplings we made it out of the woods and hid the wheeler in some weeds and headed back to home for a real tow rope. I have never been so scared in my life riding double with M. Foutch..thank God I am alive. Anyway called the shop and they said it was a common propblem and that it was a freeze plug. A $2.00 part ruined my day.

Any ideas on how to put them back in and also any ideas on how to prevent this problem in the futrure.....Thanks.:grr: :confused:

Wingnut
08-30-2004, 09:38 AM
I was riding with someone a while back and they had the same thing happen. I've got one of these and have had no problem.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QMR%2D03DPB

08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
freeze plug? I don't know that name. Is that the same thing as the decompression plug? If yes buy a billet one with a groove for the screw on the side to catch. lot's of places make them. Call GT Thunder that is where I got mine!

BUCK442
08-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the Link Wingnut....;)

cdalexct
08-30-2004, 07:04 PM
I am buying new 05 yfz tomorrow do i need to get one of those
decompression plug?

5valves
08-30-2004, 07:15 PM
nope, the 05's have a diffrent head.
From what I hear, this only happens if you over fill the oil.
I have had mine for 14 months and no problem. I do have a replacement on my tool box just in case.

nhyfzrider
08-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 5valves
nope, the 05's have a diffrent head.
From what I hear, this only happens if you over fill the oil.
I have had mine for 14 months and no problem. I do have a replacement on my tool box just in case.

11 months on mine, no problems. i keep an eye on it though. it's pretty hard to overfill a yfz, 3/8 qt. in crankcase, 1 and a 1/2 in tank.

5valves
08-30-2004, 07:51 PM
I agree, but it is happenen
BTW its not a freeze plug but the decompresion plug.
This is the same head design from the the bike which had a manual decomresion lever. It was replaced in 03 with the auto decomprsion cam, but the head was never redesignied until 05.

cdalexct
08-30-2004, 08:10 PM
thanks. Is their any other things i need to know about the bike to watch out for? I am racing xc.

5valves
08-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by cdalexct
thanks. Is their any other things i need to know about the bike to watch out for? I am racing xc.
Yes, you need skids, I would recomend prm,s

Hozed
08-31-2004, 06:08 PM
definitly dont put a stock one back in... it will only happen again...
i spent the money on one from Thumper talk...

yfz450xc
09-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Buck I just fixed mine last night, it is a decompression plug and you can buy the stock one for $5.00 at midwest in woodriver Il or order one from a place called thumper talk .com it is a bittlet one and is held in w/ that bolt that is right on the side of the cover I was told that even the stock replacement ones are looser yet but this billet one is sharp , took 3 days and was $22.00, I blew mine in the last race at newark mo and was mad as heck:grr:
Took all of 5 minutes to install check them out.

Alton Il

BUCK442
09-02-2004, 12:50 PM
How do you re-install it. I have the stock one on order as I am sponsored by Local shop and the price is right!

Anyway I was told that to put the stocker back in that you had to tap the head?????? That does not sound right...... How did you install yours....simple I guess

After yours blew did you have any motor issues. I quit riding as soon as I noticed but I still worry about dirt in the motor. I will change the oil and filter befor I re-start it for sure.:)

BUCK442
09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Skip that last reply. I just found the directions from Wingnuts Link!

I think I will just pay the extra 22 and get the one that appears to work!:devil:

09-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Buck442 just a thought GT thunder has the same thing, I think $20 is the price. anyway might be worth a thought to go through a company that helps a ton of XC guys out and really helps our sport!

BUCK442
09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
That is a good idea. We gotta do all we can to help those who help us!:D

yfz450xc
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
when mine blew I was already racing for about 1 hour and I thought I meesed my engine up also, cause I found no oil on the dip stick, after letting it sit for about 30 minutes It showed about a half a tank of oil still, I guess it had to seep back in the tank or was up top, so it really did'nt lose alot just a constant blow out through the hole , I changed my oil and it looked fine so my guess is it only blows out and dont suck in anything and the amount of oil lost was not that huge before I noticed it , never heard anything about tapping though I placed my new stock plug to the hole and it looks like it just fits in w/ some silacone maybe, but that billet is definetly worth the money .
Good and tell shep Hi

BUCK442
09-02-2004, 01:44 PM
I will tell Shep you said hey. He just bought an 05 last week and he does not have this plug as it was changed in 05. We spoke the other day and I about the 3rd person in the last couple of weeks that had this problem...I guess it just gets a little looser with time.

Chef
09-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I was riding with a guy that had that happen...he used a piece of styrofoam off the beach we were on and carved it down to the right size and stuck it in. Held the rest of the day. :huh

TDBRPH
09-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Buck,

I just ordered the plug and zip ty fuel screw from thumpertalk and I received EXCELLENT customer service and the products were top notch. I had everything apart and wanted to get it together quick so I payed the extra money for 3 day shipping it arrived less than 24 hours from the time I placed the order !!

Good luck I wouldnt waste your time replacing the OEM item.

Triston

Rdogg450
09-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I just watched a guys YFZ burn to the ground last weekend in a harescramble in Kahoka,Mo last weekend ...... He had only made 2 payments.. damn the luck......i am definitely ordering one.

Sounds like a very wise investment and i think should be recalled but who has time for that?

Rdogg450
09-11-2004, 07:36 PM
I just watched a guys YFZ burn to the ground last weekend in a harescramble in Kahoka,Mo last weekend ...... He had only made 2 payments.. damn the luck......i am definitely ordering one.

Sounds like a very wise investment and i think should be recalled but who has time for that?

shep
09-13-2004, 08:06 PM
HEY BUCK maybe you need a BIG RED !!!!:confused: