PDA

View Full Version : rear shock question?

Jersey450R
08-30-2004, 07:48 AM
I have a question about the rear shock on my 450. I played around all day with it yesterday and still cant get it right. I'm 5'8", 200 pounds but not fat. why dosent the rebound come up slower? I have the rebound screw all the way tight with a 1/2 turn out on the bottom and the compression screw tightened up considerably. my fronts shocks are a dream come true, very nice but the rear i cant dial in. i was bouncing all over the place in the whoops yesterday. please help me out, thank you.

08-30-2004, 08:16 AM
i know..im 140 lbs. & pretty skinny & im about fed up with this shock...its sucks having these amazing front shocks & then having this POS back there...

Jersey450R
08-30-2004, 08:26 AM
have you played around with your adjustments? all i want is it to rebound slower.

08-30-2004, 12:34 PM
yes.. it still sucks & I gave up

WhiteZee
08-30-2004, 02:40 PM
yep, the rear shock is a POS. i bought the gt thunder rear link and revalve, im hoping to get my shock back today or tomarrow. if i were you, i would get one too.

exrider44
08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree the rear shock sucks. Honda needs to fix this Its bs. If you go thru whoops your the one whos getting whooped almost over the front. No matter how much you try to adjust it, you wont get it the way you want. Try gt thunder or a diff shock thats what Im going to do.

450 Racer R
08-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Just sit back through the whoops. I turned the top screw to the left a couple clicks and mine feels great. Just gotta keep your weight off the front and you'll skip right across. No complaints here

Jersey450R
08-30-2004, 04:51 PM
450 Racer R, i'm from hammonton too, whats your name, lol, what street you live on?

exrider44
08-31-2004, 03:38 PM
450r racer I do sit back in the whoops my ***** is almost on the dam rear bumper the settings suck thats why they make a better setup for that rear. I know what you mean cause I used to have a 400ex and when I rode down the nj shore I never had a problem getting bucked like I do with the R. Other than that I love the thing its a great bike.

Matt102
08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
I have the GT thunder MX linkage with a long travel front end and I love it. I was able to get my ride height right at 7.5" in the rear and it works GREAT. I would definitely get this setup. You will be amazed.

08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Turn the top screw all the way out and the bottom one all the way in.

exrider44
08-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
450r racer I do sit back in the whoops my ***** is almost on the dam rear bumper the settings suck thats why they make a better setup for that rear. I know what you mean cause I used to have a 400ex and when I rode down the nj shore I never had a problem getting bucked like I do with the R. Other than that I love the thing its a great bike.

So you still have the stock shock in back with just the gt thunder linkage? Is the rear shock revalved?

RedRacer44
08-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Where did ya guys get the GT Thunder linkage? Directly from GT? Is there a website to order it from? How much was it? Is it REALLY that big of a difference?? I'm tired of getting bucked around in the whoops and dont want to buy a swinger/rear shock!

Jersey450R
09-01-2004, 05:22 AM
trx450rracer, i did what you said and its a big difference, thank you very much. when i get my refund chack from school, the revalving and gt linkage is a must! or at least something equivalant

WhiteZee
09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RedRacer44
Where did ya guys get the GT Thunder linkage? Directly from GT? Is there a website to order it from? How much was it? Is it REALLY that big of a difference?? I'm tired of getting bucked around in the whoops and dont want to buy a swinger/rear shock!
you buy it directly from gt thunder, there web site is www.gtthunder.com click on 450r. the link, new bearing, and revalve is $250. im sure if Laz is selling this thing, it makes a very big difference. im getting my shock back today so ill let you all know how i like it. ill also take some pictures of the stock vs. gt thunder link.

09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
trx450rracer, i did what you said and its a big difference, thank you very much. when i get my refund chack from school, the revalving and gt linkage is a must! or at least something equivalant

No problem glad to help out.

Out_Sider
06-11-2005, 10:47 PM
sorry to bring up such an old thread, but im concerned about my suspension when i get my 450r, what do i do to my fronts, and what do i do to my rear shock?

trx450r_racer says all the way out on top and all the way in on bottom for the rear, but what about preload for the rear? i want the quad to sit as low as possible (mx racing)

i already have some mx wheels and tires ready for it, just waitin for the quad to arrive