PDA

View Full Version : el cheapo exhaust tip???????

400exvet
08-30-2004, 07:24 AM
O.K. I couldn't help myself and I ordered one of those $59.00 2" exhaust tips from E-Bay. It comes with some jets and instructions on how to cut out the air box lid and whatever else they could think of to reel people like me in. All I really want is for it to sound a little better....and of course go a little faster. Which I'm sure will be un-noticable. I just kept reading about how awful the bike sounded with no tip at all or a homemade one and I just can't spend the money for a real exhaust right now. Anyway, has anyone else bought one of these? Any tricks or thoughts? Thanks!

08-30-2004, 07:35 AM
i took the baffle out & my 450 really doesnt sound that bad

dixie1
08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
I made my own tip & it does sound better than just taking the baffle out. It sounds a little too free without the baffle. Im sure your tip is going to look a lot better & running without the lid will definitely give you better performance ,just how much I don't know....Please let me know what jetting suggestions they give as I am trying to figure out what to use with that setup..Thanks

D-7#61-450r
08-30-2004, 03:47 PM
I made my own tip from the stock exhuast tip. If you look at the tip when removed you can see it is recessed in. A 2" piece of stainless steel exhaust pipe will fit perfectly in that hole if you cut it out. Weld the pipe in rejet with the air box lid off and you will be supprized! I believe this flows better than the hrc tip. when I rejeted I moved up the needle one click and put in a 160 jet. Also turned the screw 3/4 more turn I believe.

400exvet
08-31-2004, 05:50 AM
I made my own tip & it does sound better than just taking the baffle out. It sounds a little too free without the baffle. Im sure your tip is going to look a lot better & running without the lid will definitely give you better performance ,just how much I don't know....Please let me know what jetting suggestions they give as I am trying to figure out what to use with that setup..Thanks

I'll let you know on the jet! It looks like D-7#61 has a good place to start. I still can't believe noone else has purchased one of these. Oh well I'll just have to find out for myself....won't be the first time:D . I also need to get an outerwears cover for the hole that will be in the lid. Has anyone seen one, especially for the 450 cover? I race XC so I would like to keep most of the water and mud out of there!
Hey D-7#61, you race XC or MX? What class? I'll be at Budds on 9/12...I can't freekin wait, I haven't raced since June:( . Later

D-7#61-450r
08-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Yeah i'll be at budds on 9/12. I race c class mx. I'll probally be pitted by the dirt track entrance.

dixie1
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks D-7...I used the 160 & turned my fuel screw out...I haven't touched my needle yet & it seems to be running great.
I'm glad I only had to buy 1 jet. Thanks again. :D