PDA

View Full Version : FCR 39mm

TDBRPH
04-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Getting ready to upgrade! Who has the best price on the FCR 39mm Carb !

later
Triston

TDBRPH
04-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Bump

CBRSLIDER
04-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Triston,

My cousin can do $425 for the FCR, but then you gotta get the cable. I have an extra Honda cable to work with the thumb throttle. Let me know may be we could work something out.

Ray

TDBRPH
04-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Hey Ray,

Thanks for the response. I didnt know if your cousin could get them or not Thanks for the update. What is his phone number I may give him a call! What cable do you have is it the one off of the trx450 utility or something like that ? What would you want to get out of it?

Later
Triston

rhandw69
04-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Just a few questions:
Ive heard and i could be wrong, that the 39mm carb is too big for the 416. Any truth to this.
Rhan

VegasEx'r
04-09-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rhandw69
Just a few questions:
Ive heard and i could be wrong, that the 39mm carb is too big for the 416. Any truth to this.
Rhan

I don't know specifically about the ex, but I know some guys who say that for each cc of displacement, there should be 1mm of carb. If that's true (or at least a good rule to follow), then a 416cc motor would need 41.6mm of carb.

ChadEXer
04-09-2002, 12:03 PM
I dont think the 39mm is too much!
Why dont you just get you a 38mm Lectron for about $250,,,half the price and it makes more power than the 41mm FCR!!!!!!

ChadEXer
04-09-2002, 12:19 PM
I dont think the 39mm is too much!
Why dont you just get you a 38mm Lectron for about $250,,,half the price and it makes more power than the 41mm FCR!!!!!!

86atc250r
04-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Chad, I'm not looking to start a flame here, but weren't you the one ranting in another thread about people spreading heresay?

You don't yet have an FCR or a Lectron - perhaps it would best to wait until you have some experience with either or both of them before you dispense advice.

In fact, wasn't it you that began to doubt your coice of engine builder and carbs after you started getting some feedback from others?

All I'm saying is chill until you get the experience that enables you to actually discuss the up and down points to each carb instead of simply making blanket statements like "the Lectron makes twice the power of the FCR at half the price".

04-09-2002, 02:56 PM
it actually did produce more hp, 0.2 more i think, bt lost a ton of botom, wer the fcr has power all over, more of a user freindly carb too

CBRSLIDER
04-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Triston,

I have the stock honda cable for one of the TRX 4x4s, but its the one that Gabe recommends. I just put my carb on last week and it rocks with the Hetrick416. The cable works great. And it is one heck of a difference from just the 416 with the stock carb to the fcr. Throttle response is amazing. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to ride it for any great lenght of time to really test it and get it dialed in.

Ya I'd part with the cable for 15.00 and I'll ship it. I think that I paid like 18-19 for it plus shipping. I actually bought it for Vito and he got rid of his EX. My cousin Scott's number is 814-929-5332. He really doesn't want to get into these carbs again, so when you call tell him that Ray sent you. That should motivate him enough. If it doesn't let me know and I'll take care of that. I guess Sudco kept jerking him around and ended up raising his prices for the carb. But hey even if you don't get it from Scott let me know if ya need the cable. It's just sitting here at my house collecting dust.

Hey Gabe thanks. I was thinking the samething. Too much talk around here and not enough experience with the products everyone is either badmouthing or recommending. But hey if dirtwheels said that it is the best then it must be. :huh

Later
Ray

Chef
04-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Rhan, The FCR39 will do just fine on the 416, I know from experience with my buddy's two 416's which both have FCR39 carbs.

I really doubt that the 38mm lectron will make more power than the FCR41, and if it does, you wont even notice it...

ChadEXer
04-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Well first of all i didnt say the Lectron carb makes twice as much power! And yes i seen it in a carb shootout that the 38mm lectron makes more power than the FCR 41mm and was also told this by 2 engine builders(one that uses Lectron and 1 that doesnt) So your right I dont have(yet) or ever experienced these carbs but YES the Lectron does make more power than the FCR 41mm I would strongly think so after seeing a dyno and hearing so from 2 respectable builders! So it would be hard to say what i said was false! I was also told by TC that the Lectron isnt the best on the bottom end but it doesnt actually "lose" bottom end power. A 400 has plenty of bottom end power so I think most would be fine there. i know the FCR's are good carbs but i would rather spend half the money for a carb that makes more power. thats just me. most people dont like the Lectron beacuse its hard to tune. Well i dont know what would be so hard being that it is needle adjusted only so im not worried. TC said it will be dialed in perfectly when i get it so I think i trust one of the most respected builders out there!!! And if not my mechanic has had experience with them and he said he has had no problems with them!!

86atc250r
04-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Good luck!!! Keep in mind that there is a big difference between overall HP and peak HP!!

Really, .2HP is negligable and if you're basing your decision on that - you may want to consider the many other variables that come into play (yet alone the fact that, that small of a difference could easily go either way on any given dyno run)!!! Like power under the curve!!! Tunability!! Installation!!!! Reliability! Ridability!!! Maintenance! Throttle pull!! Not having a stumble when you crack the throttle open!! Having an engine that will idle when finished!!!

Those are all some very good reasons people pay almost twice as much for other carbs than the Lectron!!! If the Lectron were the end all, beat all carb, these other carbs wouldn't have a market at almost double the price! When else in your life experiences has cheaper = better? On the topic of hard to tune, did you ever consider that it may be hard to tune because there are not enough adjustments to correct for various issues? This is why high end carbs like the FCR have tons of different adjustments. Food for thought!!!!

Again - let me finish by asking how many people you've heard of with factory performance bikes like the CRF450R, YZ426F, YZ250F, DRZ400, KTM520, etc.. that are equipped from the factory with FCRs switch them out for a Lectron?

The Lectron may be the perfect carb for you & your purposes, but it is certainly NOT the perfect carb for most people!

Sorry for all the exclamation points - just poking a little fun!! :)

CBRSLIDER
04-09-2002, 07:49 PM
The only personal experiece I have is with the FCR. I just recently put it on, so I don't have much experience with it. Prior to buying it I did some research on it.

I took the advice of people that have used both carbs. I never did find one that did like the lectron. I looked to people that use the product, not just a seller. They seem too biased to me. I did have the experience to watch one of TC's lectrons give a sponsored rider fits. He showed up at a xc race I was in and pitted next to me. He was trying to get the quad running and could not get the carb tuned right. He said that he needed to clean it again. So he had to rip the plastic, airbox and carb off to work on it. He didn't seem real pleased with the carb. He said that it was a common occurrence if it was not meticulously maintained. So that helped me make my decision. FCR sounded alot better, even at a much higher price tag.

Also so much for not having any problems with the lectron tuned by TC. Which is exactly what Tom told me when I went to see him. I really look up to Tom and realize that he is one of the best if not the best engine builder there is. This guy at the race had an awesome running EX but it just was too big of a headache for someone like me to try to maintain. And it all centered around a difficult carb. He raved about the quad but didn't want to bad mouth the carb. Wouldn't look good to run down something that your sponsor endorsed.

But hey if you have a mechanic to work on your ride all the time go for it. It just wasn't for me.

Ray